Healthcare Economics Analyst - Minnetonka, MN
Internships at UnitedHealth Group. If you want an intern experience that will dramatically shape your career, consider a company that’s dramatically shaping our entire health care system. UnitedHealth Group internship opportunities will provide a hands-on view of a rapidly evolving, incredibly challenging marketplace of ideas, products and services. You’ll work side by side with some of the smartest people in the business on assignments that matter. So here we are. You have a lot to learn. We have a lot to do. It’s the perfect storm. And even better? Join us and you may end up staying for a career in which you can do your life’s best work.(sm)
**Housing and relocation assistance are not available for this position**
**This full-time position will be available starting in January 2023 or June 2023**
**UnitedHealth Group is not able to offer visa sponsorship now or in the future for this position**
- Identify, monitor, and analyze principle health care cost drivers, by market segment and/or by provider, including utilization, referral patterns, and reimbursement rates
- Research, analyze data, present results, and recommend intelligent solutions to solve problems and address business challenges by applying a knowledge of medical claims analysis, critical-thinking skills, and healthcare experience/expertise
- Analyze claims, membership, and prior authorization data sources to identify early signs of trends or other issues related to medical care costs and quality of care
- Structure analytical results in an organized, visual manner to tell a meaningful, actionable story
- Apply strong critical thinking skills to anticipate questions from key stakeholders and consider all aspects of an analysis before completion
- Determine credibility and usability of claims data prior to delivery of analytic results
- Exhibit initiative in exploring and discovering opportunities to improve corporate performance through data analysis.
- Responsible for ad-hoc client and market requests
- Interpret contractual language with a clear understanding of business rules and reporting requirements
- Establish trusting professional relationships with internal senior business customers
- Maintain alignment of expectations and priorities in autonomous fashion
- Display and interpret data using visualization tools
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as required, assigned, or requested
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience, finance, econ, accounting, supply chain, MIS, data science, data analytics
- Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without company sponsorship, now or in the future, for employment-based work authorization (F-1 students with practical training and candidates requiring H-1Bs, TNs, etc. will not be considered)
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- Data analysis experience either from professional work history or educational study
- At least an intermediate level of proficiency working with MS Excel including formulas, calculations, charts, graphs, etc.
- At least a basic level of proficiency working with SQL and/or SAS programming tools
- Ability to quickly learn and use computer software tools effectively
- Health care experience working with claims data and medical codes is highly
- Intermediate skills/knowledge of query tools, database platforms, data mapping/ETL, system platforms and software packages platforms
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment
Internships at Optum. If you want an intern experience that will dramatically shape your career, consider a company that’s dramatically shaping our entire health care system. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of companies, is a leading health services and innovation company dedicated to helping make the health system work better for everyone. With more than 94,000 people collaborating worldwide, Optum combines people, technology, data and action to improve the delivery, quality and efficiency of health care. Our internship opportunities provide a view of a rapidly evolving, incredibly challenging marketplace of ideas, products and services. Here, you’ll work with some of the smartest people in the business on assignments that matter. Join us and you may end up staying for a career in which you can do your life’s best work.(sm)
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.