Field Based - Community Health Worker - Oahu, HI
If you want to achieve more in your mission of health care, you have to be really smart about the business of health care. Challenge yourself, your peers and our industry by shaping what health care looks like and doing your life's best work.(sm)
As a Community Health Worker (CHW), you will act in a liaison role with Medicaid members to ensure appropriate care is accessed as well as to provide home and social assessments and member education. CHW’s work in a team-based structure and spend the majority of their time in the community engaging directly with members. Interesting in learning to work with medically complex patients who may be experiencing significant addiction and/or behavioral health conditions is important for this role.
This position is a field-based position with a home based (telecommuting) office. You will work from home when not in the field.
- Create a positive experience and relationship with the member
- Help member set goals and develop a care plan to achieve those goals
- Proactively engage the member to manage their own health and healthcare
- Support the member to improve their wellbeing by staying out of the hospital, and attend regular visits to their primary physician
- As needed, help the member engage with mental health and substance use treatment
- Support the member to ensure pick-up of their prescriptions
- Provide member education on community resources and benefits
- Conduct post discharge activities from hospital facility and support connection to social services
- Support member to engage in work or volunteer activities, if desired, and develop stronger social supports through deeper connections with friends, family, and their community
- Partner with care team (community, providers, internal staff)
- Knowledge and continued learning of community cultures and values
- May conduct Health Risk Assessments (HRA) if needed
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- High School Diploma / GED (or higher)
- Knowledge of culture and values of community
- Field based experience
- Proficient in using computer based charting and similar programs
- Intermediate experience in Microsoft Office applications such as Excel (create, edit, sort), Word (create & edit), and Outlook (calendar management)
- Familiarity with the resources available in the community
- Resided within the local community for 2+ years
- Resident of the state of Hawaii
- Ability to travel locally, up to 100 miles round trip and up to 80% of the time
- Have access to reliable transportation
- Available to work Monday through Friday, 8 AM to 5 PM
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Bachelor’s Degree (or higher) in a health-related field
- Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN), Certified Nursing Assistant / Home Health Aide, Certified Medical Assistant
- CHW Accreditation or Certification
- Health Coach Certification
- Knowledge and /or experience with behavioral health or substance use disorders
- Care management experience
- Experience working in Managed Care
- Knowledge of Medicaid and/or Medicare population
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment.
Careers at UnitedHealthcare Community & State. Challenge brings out the best in us. It also attracts the best. That's why you'll find some of the most amazingly talented people in health care here. We serve the health care needs of low- income adults and children with debilitating illnesses such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes, HIV/AIDS and high-risk pregnancy. Our holistic, outcomes-based approach considers social, behavioral, economic, physical and environmental factors. Join us. Work with proactive health care, community and government partners to heal health care and create positive change for those who need it most. This is the place to do your life's best work.(sm)
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.