Principal Service Designer - Health Equity - Remote
Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that's improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There's no room for error. Join us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
United Design (part of UnitedHealth Group and Optum) is on a mission to create a healthier world, one person at a time. We believe this begins with innovative design thinking and technology aimed at delivering experiences that will make healthcare simpler, equitable and more effective. And dare we say even enjoyable.
Enjoy this video with our Chief Design Officer, Dan Makoski … Compassion by Design
The Health Equity Design Studio brings together the best of strategic design, systems thinking and applied social sciences to devise effective interventions that improves the health outcomes of those most marginalized, at-risk, and underserved, specific to UnitedHealthcare Community & State line of business. We believe that centering the lived experiences of all people within the health ecosystem - patients, caregivers, medical practitioners, patient advocates, community, and government partners - allows us to ideate, co-create and solve for unmet needs. We address emerging and complex problems for underlying root causes, challenge internal biases/behaviors and enable better experiences that deliver positive impact by design - connecting people to critical resources in communities to access the care they need, when they need it.
If you believe in the power of design to breaking down systemic barriers to health, to closing gaps in care, to embedding equity into enterprise-wide strategic programs, we are interested. If you can imagine and create a better future of equal value to all people as part of a highly collaborative and interdisciplinary environment, we need you!
The Principal Service Designer - Health Equity plays a pivotal role within the Health Equity Design Studio in leading, aligning, and creating end-to-end experiences and journeys for large/complex service design projects that adapt to people’s evolving needs over time.
Regardless of sectoral or industry experiences, if you believe you are the right fit for this role - please apply!
To know more about Optum Technology, click here.
You'll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges. Lower 48 United States only.
- Service Design: Strategic thinker with deep expertise and proven experience in driving human-centered design process and practice focused on service design initiatives of varied scope/complexity
- Design Research: Plans and conducts design-led research including ethnographic research, behavioral research, exploratory research, concept/usability testing with consumers and providers of experience to better understand and position the needs, desires and wants of the communities we serve
- Experience Definition: Analyzes root causes addressing social determinants of health, synthesizes data, and visualizes complex information turning insights and opportunities into significant value for the underserved communities, identifying and prioritizing key moments for service differentiation, aligning and building consensus throughout with stakeholders
- Co-Creation: Deploys service/systems design methods to clearly augment design vision and processes in projects articulating the design value and tradeoffs within business, operations, product, data, and digital/analytics contexts
- Design Outputs: Builds end-to-end service design blueprints, current/future state experience maps, journeys, personas, service models/playbooks and varying levels of UX/UI prototypes that brings concepts/ideas to life
- Workshop Facilitation: Drives workshop planning, design and facilitation with executives and diverse stakeholders
- Experience Validation: Defines key results/outcomes for service design and delivery metrics that are desirable for the users, viable for the business and technically feasible - validating experiences across end-to-end touchpoints/journeys in an equitable and sustainable way
- Design Impact: Develops and integrates service design assets across multiple teams/projects into a coherent whole - for service experience ideation/prototyping, live prototyping, testing, and incorporating user/stakeholder feedback in driving prioritization with deeper understanding of solutions that support implementation now and into the future
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- 10+ years of applying human-centered design process with a variety of service/systems design methods - with both external and internal consumers, providers, and key stakeholders, identifying points of abrasion, opportunities, and solutions for improvement and experimentation
- 10+ years of designing effective interventions doing qualitative and quantitative research, analysis and synthesis of insights, embedding equity, diversity, and inclusion into design lifecycle and bringing solutions to market
- 8+ years of hands-on experience working closely with core team members, internal and external partners
- 8+ years of leading and executing strategic service design projects with an ability to establish, support or leverage data and analytics to inform analysis and key decision-making, develop design outputs and influence key stakeholders
- 6+ years of guiding and coaching teams/colleagues on design while positively contributing to a learning culture - taking ownership, communicating clearly/precisely and consistently delivering results on time and within budget
- 6+ years of thriving in a fast-paced setting - creating, presenting, and facilitating workshops with senior leadership and simultaneously demonstrating strategic big-picture thinking as well as curiosity and careful attention to detail
- 6+ years of working in Adobe Illustrator, In Design, Figma, Miro, Microsoft Office Suite - Portfolio
- Experience establishing and implementing service design best practices within an organization or team
- Academic background in Design, Innovation, Engineering, or progressive experience to have equivalent knowledge
- Ability to create powerful stories / presentations to guide and educate leadership
- Exemplary oral, visual, and written communication skills
- Proven track record of driving change in a large, complex matrixed environment even amid ambiguous circumstances - designing for omni and/or cross-channel experiences
- Proactive and biased toward action while improving processes and optimizing operations
Total Compensation. As part of your total compensation package, which includes base, bonus opportunity, PTO and holiday pay, you will also receive these benefits at these rates, not to mention a remote work opportunity and healthy work/life balance.
UHG Benefits / Benefits pricing
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment
Technology Careers with Optum. Information and technology have amazing power to transform the health care industry and improve people's lives. This is where it's happening. This is where you'll help solve the problems that have never been solved. We're freeing information so it can be used safely and securely wherever it's needed. We're creating the very best ideas that can most easily be put into action to help our clients improve the quality of care and lower costs for millions. This is where the best and the brightest work together to make positive change a reality. This is the place to do your life's best work.(sm)
Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $97,300 to $176,900. The salary range for Connecticut / Nevada residents is $97,300 to $176,900. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.