Home Infusion Pharmacist - Franklin, TN
Optum is a company that's on the rise. We're expanding in multiple directions, across borders and, most of all, in the way we think. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about transforming the health care industry. Ready to make a difference? Make yourself at home with us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
What makes your pharmacy career greater with OptumRx? You'll work within an incredible team culture; a clinical and business collaboration that is learning and evolving every day. As a pharmacist on the Clinical and Pharmacy Operations team, you will perform various duties as it relates to therapy assessment, care planning and departmental communications to streamline efficiencies across the department.
To succeed in this position, a baseline understanding of various infusion related therapies is needed. These functions include interpreting, formulating, and dispensing of infusion and/or specialty drugs for sterile compounding and/or distribution. Pharmacist clinical activities include therapy assessment, care planning and medication reconciliation as they pertain to individual patients and the appropriate monitoring for effective care and positive patient outcome. This is a dynamic work environment and requires flexibility to meet business needs and adaptability to frequent changes. Teamwork is the norm and all employees will be held accountable to work as effective team members.
This position is for a Clinical Pharmacist working in the Optum Specialty Infusion Services unit within OptumRx, a UnitedHealth Group company.
*** Candidate must be able to work an 8-hour shift between the hours of 8:00 am - 6:00 pm, plus on-call and weekend rotations ***
- Reviews medication orders and evaluates appropriateness and completeness of orders with consideration given to the special needs and behaviors of the specific age group served
- Verifies all prescriptions not directly received from the prescriber or physician’s agent
- Provide oversight of the safety; appropriateness, and effectiveness of the pharmaceutical care provide to patients (consumers) as it relates to specialty products dispensed
- Assesses the patient at the initiation of drug therapy, develops a patient care plan and drug monitoring regimen and monitors the patient according to the care plan throughout the course of therapy
- Communicates with the patient, physician, nursing staff, other pharmacists and other members of the health care team regarding patient status, response to therapy and clinical objectives to ensure clinical outcomes are met
- When required, compounds intravenous and specialty pharmaceuticals in an aseptic fashion according to established State Board of Pharmacy, Federal, USP<797 & 800> sterile guidelines and company policy. Knowledgeable of the proper use and handling of both sterile and hazardous medications. Compounds and handles sterile and hazardous medications in accordance with established guidelines and regulations
- Ensures compliance with all FDA, DEA, State Board of Pharmacy, OSHA and other regulatory standards. Follows all department policies and procedures
- Provides indirect oversight of pharmacy technician and pharmacy support staff
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- BS in Pharmacy or PharmD degree
- Pharmacist license in good standing in the state of Tennessee
- 1+ years of practicing Pharmacist experience working in home infusion, hospital, high volume retail or related healthcare environment
- Experience working independently with minimal supervision
- Solid drug product and clinical pharmacy knowledge
- Knowledgeable in various infusion related therapies and ability to work through the complexity of therapy related orders, and the ability to fill medication orders accurately and in a timely manner
- Computer and typing proficiency, including MS Word
- Willing and able to take calls after hours, weekends and holidays as scheduled
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- Solid clinical experience with immunoglobulins, biologics or parenteral nutrition
- Experience following set work flow and clinical guidelines
- Experience with Prior Authorizations, third party adjudication
- Experience working within a managed healthcare system
- Home Infusion experience and/or specialty pharmacy experience
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment
Careers with OptumRx. We're one of the largest and most innovative pharmacy benefits managers in the US, serving more than 12 million people nationwide. Here you’ll fill far more than prescriptions. As a member of one of our pharmacy teams, you’re empowered to be your best and do whatever it takes to help each customer. You'll find unrivaled support and training as well as a wealth of growth and development opportunities driven by your performance and limited only by your imagination. Join us. There's no better place to help people live healthier lives while doing your life's best work.(sm)
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.