Health Information Specialist - Colton, CA
Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that's improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There's no room for error. Join us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
Compassion. It’s the starting point for health care providers like you and it’s what drives us every day as we put our exceptional skills together with a real feeling of caring for others. This is a place where your impact goes beyond providing care one patient at a time. Because here, every day, you’re also providing leadership and contributing in ways that can affect millions for years to come. Ready for a new path? Learn more, and start doing your life’s best work.(sm)
Optum’s Pacific West region is redefining health care with a focus on health equity, affordability, quality, and convenience. From California, to Oregon and Washington, we are focused on helping more than 2.5 million patients live healthier lives and helping the health system work better for everyone. At Optum Pacific West, we care. We care for our team members, our patients, and our communities. Join our culture of caring and make a positive and lasting impact on health care for millions.
The Health Information Specialist provides onsite health information services support to the patient care team and operations staff. Generally, performs operational duties such as receiving forms, receiving and processing mail/documents, faxing documents, answering, routing, and/or responding to telephone calls, data entry/management, outside records follow up, and other patient support clerical and office duties. It will also include working regularly with other clinic or support operations personnel, providers, patients, and the general public to ensure excellent customer service.
- Enters required data and documents in the document type fields
- Reviews all computerized imaging indexes of documents to ensure accuracy
- Prepares patient information into computer-readable images
- Prepares documents for scanning systems by removing staples, paper clips, duplicate forms and assigns MRN
- Ensures proper image cleanup and proofs documents
- Verifies that patient information is complete and accurate
- Combines loose reports in established document type
- Maintains continuing quality improvement and assist in quality management of the department
- Formats reports according to established guidelines, policies and procedures
- Maintains strict confidentiality of all medical records by ensuring that no unauthorized persons have access to a patient’s electronic medical record
- Troubleshoots computer problems. Reports and follows-up with the I.S. Department immediately
- Uses reference materials appropriately and efficiently to facilitate the accuracy, clarity and completeness of reports
- Meets quality and productivity standards and deadlines established by the Supervisor
- Compiles statistics report
- Uses, protects, and discloses HCP patients’ protected health information (PHI) only in accordance with Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) standards
- Performs additional duties as assigned
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- High school diploma, GED, or equivalent experience
- 1+ years of experience working in an office, customer service, or in the medical field
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- 2+ years of work clerical or administrative experience in an office setting
- A basic knowledge of medical terminology
- Solid multitasking and typing skills
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.