Field Based Community Health Worker - Baker, Duval, Volusia, Clay, Saint Johns, Nassau, OR Flagler, FL
Energize your career with one of Healthcare’s fastest growing companies.
You dream of a great career with a great company – where you can make an impact and help people. We dream of giving you the opportunity to do just this. And with the incredible growth of our business, it’s a dream that definitely can come true. Already one of the world’s leading Healthcare companies, UnitedHealth Group is restlessly pursuing new ways to operate our service centers, improve our service levels and help people lead healthier lives. We live for the opportunity to make a difference and right now, we are living it up.
This opportunity is with one of our most exciting business areas: Optum – a growing part of our family of companies that make UnitedHealth Group a Fortune 5 leader.
Optum helps nearly 60 million Americans live their lives to the fullest by educating them about their symptoms, conditions and treatments; helping them to navigate the system, finance their healthcare needs and stay on track with their health goals. No other business touches so many lives in such a positive way. And we do it all with every action focused on our shared values of Integrity, Compassion, Relationships, Innovation & Performance.
This position will be the primary care navigator for members with complex behavioral health needs who aren’t otherwise managed by the team’s clinicians or peer supports. The CHW works assertively to locate and engage members in the community. They will develop individualized plans of care that focus on the member’s definition of success. The CHW identifies and overcome barriers to goal achievement, including SDOH barriers. This position will work in collaboration with the NorthStar team to provide comprehensive care navigation to impact health outcomes and total cost of care. CHWs will approach their member work with an understanding of how inequities drive health disparities. CHWs will promote health equity.
This position is full-time, Monday - Friday. Employees are required to have flexibility to work any of our 8-hour shift schedules during our normal business hours of 7:00am - 7:00pm EST. It may be necessary, given the business need, to work occasional overtime. Must live in one of the following counties: Baker, Duval, Volusia, Clay, ST Johns, Nassau, Flagler
- Locate and engage members in the community
- Partner with NorthStar team to support complex members in the community
- Conduct screenings face to face or telephonically, to assess social determinate of health needs (SDOH screening tool)
- Provide information on member needs for community resources to Wellness Coordinator and follow up on referrals received
- Conduct post discharge activities from hospital facility and support connection to social services in conjunction with Peer Support where applicable
- Perform targeted activities and provide education to support medication adherence, engagement with outpatient appointments, both physical and mental health.
- Proactively engage the member to manage their mental health, provide education and coaching to support self-management of needs and health promotion as outlined in care plan
- Partner and collaborate with internal care team, community partners and providers
- Consult with BHA based on defined triggers
- Support identification of and coordination to support access of Medicaid benefits to support care needs
- Assist member in development of personal wellness plan / health crisis plan
- As needed, help the member engage with mental health and substance use treatment
- Support the member to ensure pick-up of their prescriptions.
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in
- High School Diploma / GED (or higher)
- 3+ years of experience working within the Community Health setting in a field-based healthcare role
- 2+ years of experience working within the local community, with demonstrated knowledge of culture and values within the community and familiarity with the resources available within the community
- Access to reliable transportation that will enable you to travel to client and / or patient sites within a designated area
- Ability to travel 75% of the time within 60 miles of territory assigned
- Knowledge of Medicare and Medicaid benefits
- Experience working with children/adolescents
- Experience with Microsoft Word (Creating and editing word documents), Microsoft Excel (Creating and Editing Spreadsheets), and Microsoft Outlook (Sending meeting invites and emails)
- Ability to work Monday through Friday, 7:00am to 7:00pm
- Reside in one of the following counties: Baker, Duval, Volusia, Clay, ST Johns, Nassau, Flagler
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- Bachelor's Degree (or higher) in Social Work OR related subject
- LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) Licensure or CNA / HHA
- Bilingual in Spanish
- Knowledge and/or experience with behavioral health or substance use disorders
- Previous care management experience
- Experience working in team-based care
- Training in Whole Health Action Management and Trauma Informed care
UnitedHealth Group requires all new hires and employees to report their COVID-19 vaccination status.
Military & Veterans find your next mission: We know your background and experience is different and we like that. UnitedHealth Group values the skills, experience and dedication that serving in the military demands. In fact, many of the values defined in the service mirror what the UnitedHealth Group culture holds true: Integrity, Compassion, Relationships, Innovation and Performance. Whether you are looking to transition from active duty to a civilian career, or are an experienced veteran or spouse, we want to help guide your career journey. Learn more at https://uhg.hr/transitioning-military
Learn how Teresa, a Senior Quality Analyst, works with military veterans and ensures they receive the best benefits and experience possible. https://uhg.hr/vet
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make the health system work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health - related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.SM
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.