Surest Health Insurance Underwriter - Remote
Surest™, a UnitedHealthcare Company, (formerly Bind) provides a new approach to health benefits designed to make it easier and more affordable for people to access health care services. Our innovative company is part tech start-up, part ground-breaking service delivery-changing the way benefits serve customers and consumers to deliver meaningful results and better outcomes (and we have just begun). We understand our members and employers alike desire a user-friendly, intuitive experience that puts people in control when it comes to the choices they make and the costs they pay for medical care. At Surest, we pride ourselves in our ability to make a difference, and with the backing of our parent company, UnitedHealthcare, we can operate in the best of both worlds-the culture and pace of an innovative start-up with big company support and stability. Come join the Surest team and help us design and deliver a cutting-edge health benefit that changes the face of health care.
Surest is a health technology and services company founded in 2016 and headquartered in Minneapolis, MN with satellite offices in New York and San Francisco. Surest is health insurance for the way we live now. Unlike traditional health insurance that charges you for services you may never need or want, Surest is on demand: pay for what you need, not what you don't, and adjust your coverage when those needs change. Health coverage that's flexible, clear, and intuitive.
We are creative, collaborative, and a little bit fiery. The Surest team is comprised of like-minded individuals passionate about healthcare, and our cause is the collective act of rewiring it. We embrace new ideas. We're more wheel than cog. More spark than smoke. And we are playful and venturesome in our daily mission to render real and refreshing solutions to health insurance that works better for us all.
The Underwriter is responsible for underwriting, pricing and processing accounts in accordance with established underwriting standards, service standards, program guidelines and personal underwriting authority. This includes gathering necessary information from revenue teammates and brokers, making appropriate risk selection decisions on new and renewal business, preparing & delivering proposals and soliciting feedback/expectations.
This role requires a driven, high-performing professional with the creative underwriting mind necessary to find solutions and foster innovation across multiple market segments, whether it be the use of a new technology to enhance underwriting efficiency, a new product, or a different distribution channel.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to work remotely* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Input, evaluate and compare current plan designs to Surest’s plan designs through Surest’s unique plan design “modeling” process. Through this initial process, you will be able to show the value of Surest’s unique product design and incorporate these savings into the underwriting process
- Prepare and deliver routine new business decisions and/or existing business renewals and/or accountings
- Independently reviews work for accuracy
- Support decisions and or alternatives based on underwriting principals, and business strategy
- Utilizes basic functionality of underwriting tools, systems, and reference materials to produce sound decisions
- Apply underwriting guidelines and escalates underwriting exceptions/financial variances for assigned cases to the appropriate level
- Assist sales personnel in explaining decisions and communicating underwriting policy
- Produce timely and accurate customer specific documents, deliverables and accounting related information
- Assists department with projects or workgroups
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Bachelor's degree in business, finance, other relevant academic field or equivalent business experience
- 1+ years of group Underwriting experience within the health insurance industry
- 1+ years of experience conducting risk assessment, utilizing financial concepts, and analytical methods
- Experience applying mathematical concepts such as but not limited to statistics in a corporate setting
- Engage in analytical issue resolution with customers or any combination of education and experience providing the types and levels of knowledge, skills, and abilities required by the job
- Health insurance experience
- 3+ years of group Underwriting experience within the insurance industry; or, other business fields providing a solid foundation for understanding and being able to assess risk
- Demonstrated results orientation and ability to execute on goals
- Self-starter needing minimal direction
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to strategize with sales and external customers to put forth a competitive proposal
- Ability to work with various areas of the organization in an efficient manner
- Ability to work in fast paced, dynamic organization
What We’re Offering
- Chance to join a new Health Insurance Plan with offices in Minneapolis, New York and San Francisco
- The possibility to positively affect change here at Surest
- Help define / direct how we structure the Surest platform
- Work with some of the brightest, most humble individuals in the health care industry
- The ability to work for an organization that is doing great things for the Health Insurance consumer
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment
Careers with UnitedHealthcare. Let's talk about opportunity. Start with a Fortune 5 organization that's serving more than 85 million people already and building the industry's singular reputation for bold ideas and impeccable execution. Now, add your energy, your passion for excellence, your near-obsession with driving change for the better. Get the picture? UnitedHealthcare is serving employers and individuals, states and communities, military families and veterans where ever they're found across the globe. We bring them the resources of an industry leader and a commitment to improve their lives that's second to none. This is no small opportunity. It's where you can do your life's best work.(sm)
Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $54,400 to $97,000. The salary range for Connecticut / Nevada residents is $60,000 to $106,700. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
*All employees working remotely will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.