Field Based Community Health Worker - Hartford, CT
Welcome to one of the toughest and most fulfilling ways to help people, including yourself. We offer the latest tools, most intensive training program in the industry and nearly limitless opportunities for advancement. Join us and start doing your life's best work.SM
As a Field Based Community Health Worker (CHW), you will act in a liaison role with Medicaid members to ensure appropriate care is accessed as well as to provide home and social assessments and member education. CHW’s work in a team-based structure and spend the majority of their time in the community engaging directly with members. Interesting in learning to work with medically complex patients who may be experiencing significant addiction and/or behavioral health conditions is important for this role.
- Create a positive experience and relationship with the member
- Help member set goals and develop a care plan to achieve those goals
- Proactively engage the member to manage their own health and healthcare
- Support the member to improve their wellbeing by staying out of the hospital, and attend regular visits to their primary physician
- As needed, help the member engage with mental health and substance use treatment
- Support the member to ensure pick-up of their prescriptions
- Provide member education on community resources and benefits
- Conduct post discharge activities from hospital facility and support connection to social services
- Support member to engage in work or volunteer activities, if desired, and develop stronger social supports through deeper connections with friends, family, and their community
- Partner with care team (community, providers, internal staff)
- Knowledge and continued learning of community cultures and values
- May conduct Health Risk Assessments (HRA) if needed
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- High School Diploma/GED (or higher)
- Must be able to comply with UHG Telecommuting Policy and have a designated workspace inside the home with access to high-speed internet availability
- Must have resided within the local community for 2+ years
- Knowledge of culture and values of community
- Familiarity with the resources available in the community
- Field based experience
- Ability to travel locally, up to 100 miles round trip and up to 50% of the time
- Access to reliable transportation that will enable you to travel to client and/or patient sites within a designated area
- Must be available to work Monday through Friday, 8 AM to 5 PM
- Reside within the state of Connecticut
- Bachelor’s Degree (or higher) in a health-related field
- Knowledge and/or experience with behavioral health or substance use disorders
- Previous care management experience
- Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN), Certified Nursing Assistant/Home Health Aide, Certified Medical Assistant
- CHW Accreditation
- Experience working in Managed Care
- Knowledge of Medicaid and/or Medicare population
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies required all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment.
Careers with Optum. Our objective is to make health care simpler and more effective for everyone. With our hands at work across all aspects of health, you can play a role in creating a healthier world, one insight, one connection and one person at a time. We bring together some of the greatest minds and ideas to take health care to its fullest potential, promoting health equity and accessibility. Work with diverse, engaged and high-performing teams to help solve important challenges.
Connecticut Residents Only: The salary range for Connecticut residents is $18.80 - $36.78. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone–of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location and income–deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes — an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.