Patient Access Specialist at Dignity Health Cancer Institute - Phoenix, AZ
$2000 Sign On Bonus For External Candidates
Optum is a global organization that delivers care, aided by technology to help millions of people live healthier lives. The work you do with our team will directly improve health outcomes by connecting people with the care, pharmacy benefits, data, and resources they need to feel their best. Here, you will find a culture guided by diversity and inclusion, talented peers, comprehensive benefits, and career development opportunities. Come make an impact on the communities we serve as you help us advance health equity on a global scale. Join us to start Caring. Connecting. Growing together.
The Patient Access Specialist functions as an integral member of the team and is the first point of contact for all persons inquiring about the provider’s practice. The primary role is to organize the practice’s daily activities and paperwork.
This position is full - time, Monday - Friday. Employees are required to work any 8-hour shift between the hours of 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM including the flexibility to work occasional overtime and weekends based on business need. Our office is located at 625 N. 6th Street, Phoenix, AZ.
We offer weeks of paid training. The hours during training will be discussed.
- Verifies insurance eligibility and benefits on all assigned accounts using electronic verification systems or by contacting payers directly to determine level of insurance coverage
- When contacting payers directly, utilizes approved scripting
- Obtains referral, authorization and pre - certification information and documents this information in system
- Identifies outstanding balances from patient’s previous visits and attempts to collect any amount due
- Trains staff on computer systems, new processes, payer updates and assigned reporting
- Functions as a Superuser for primary computer systems
- Proactively identifies and leads department process improvement opportunities
- Works on Special Projects as needed
- Performs the duties of a Patient Access Representative
- Maintains up - to - date knowledge of specific admission, registration, and pre - registration requirements for all areas
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- High School Diploma / GED (or higher) OR equivalent experience
- 2+ years of Customer Service experience in a hospital, office setting, customer service setting, OR phone support role
- 1+ years of electronic health record experience
- Ability to work any 8-hour shift between the hours of 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM from Monday - Friday including the flexibility to work occasional overtime and weekends based on business need
- 1+ years of experience with prior authorizations
- Experience with using Microsoft Office products
- Experience in a Hospital Patient Registration Department, Physician’s Office, OR any medical setting
- Working knowledge of medical terminology
- Understanding of insurance policies and procedures
- Experience in insurance reimbursement and financial verification
- Ability to perform basic mathematics for financial payments
- Experience in requesting and processing financial payments
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and customer service skills
Physical and Work Environment:
- Standing for long periods of time (10 - 12 hours) while using a workstation on wheels and phone / headset
**PLEASE NOTE** The sign on bonus is only available to external candidates. Candidates who are currently working for a UnitedHealth Group, UnitedHealthcare or related entity in a full time, part time, or per diem basis ("Internal Candidates") are not eligible to receive a sign on bonus.
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone–of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location and income–deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes — an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.