Patient Access Director - 10,000 Sign on bonus for External Candidates - Sequoia Hospital, Redwood City, CA
**10,000 Sign on bonus for External Candidates**
Optum is a global organization that delivers care, aided by technology to help millions of people live healthier lives. The work you do with our team will directly improve health outcomes by connecting people with the care, pharmacy benefits, data and resources they need to feel their best. Come make an impact on the communities we serve as we help advance health equity on a global scale. Here, you will find talented peers, comprehensive benefits, a culture guided by diversity and inclusion, career growth opportunities and your life's best work.(sm)
The Director is responsible for effectively leading and directing the work of patient access leaders and staff within the parameters of designated performance standards and metrics. The Director is expected to motivate staff to achieve the highest levels of customer satisfaction and to meet the organization goals for customer service and financial performance. The Director has extensive responsibility for client executive satisfaction, interdepartmental collaboration, strategic objectives and continuous improvement.
- Provides department and client level oversight for the development of processes and initiatives designed to improve Revenue Cycle performance in assigned areas which includes: demonstrating excellent customer services skills by facilitating communication between client leadership, patients, supporting teams, and payors
- Development, deployment, and improvement of the Optum Global Operations Model, The Optum Performance System (TOPS), and other major organizational initiatives
- Issue resolution, including but not limited to data collection, root cause analysis, reporting, mitigation action plans, and communication / follow-up related to the standardization of Patient Access activities with emphasis on Registration, Financial Clearance, Patient Liability Estimation, Authorization and Referral Management, and Insurance Discovery
- Oversight of reoccurring monthly and adhoc meetings to inter/intra-departmentally coordinate Patient Access activities
- Development and roll-out of related policies/procedures, strategy, communications, and other management components in coordination with senior internal and external leadership
- Technology Integration / IT Liaison
Other duties as assigned:
- Effectively participates in team level Quality Assurance, Patient Satisfaction, Employee Engagement and Process Improvement activities; ensuring associate understanding and commitment, as well as expected process improvement outcomes
- Leads by example: promotes teamwork and operational relationships by fostering a positive, transparent and focused working environment which achieves maximum results. Develops relationships and partnership with a wide variety of internal and external leadership stakeholders
- Maintains and demonstrates expert knowledge of the application of Patient Access processes and best practices; drives the integration of OptumInsight Provider Patient Access related business objectives within the client environment
- Knows, understands, incorporates, and demonstrates the Optum Mission, Vision, and Values in behaviors, practices, and decisions
- Serves in a leadership role and promotes positive Human Resource Management skills
- Interviews, selects and is accountable for the on-going development and evaluation of individuals within the area of responsibility
- Develops associate loyalty and retention through effective associate engagement, inclusion and participation; Proactively solicits, listens to and addresses associate suggestions; Promotes a professional environment that recognizes and respects diversity
- Develops associate work schedules to ensure cost effective staffing that meets customer requirements, while promoting an economical, efficient workforce and considers associate work-life balance
- Establishes, implements and evaluates on-going performance improvement programs, utilizing an interdisciplinary approach; Escalates to senior leadership any unfavorable trends or disciplinary actions; Provides managerial follow-up related to performance, up to and including disciplinary actions and termination
- Provides staff training and mentoring to promote growth and development of assigned resources
- Financial and personnel management of assigned areas
- Educates client executives, leaders, physicians, physician office staff, and organizational associates regarding assigned Patient Access requirements, success, and areas for improvement
- Prepares required reports using statistically sound information, displaying content in easily understandable format; Escalates to the senior leadership any unfavorable trends
- Other duties as needed and assigned by the Regional Director or in coordination with other OptumInsight Provider Patient Access or Revenue Cycle Leadership, including but not limited to leading and conducting special projects
- Develops project work plans, facilitates resource allocation, executes project tasks and obtains assistance from other intra and inter-functional resources, as required
- Maintains a working knowledge of applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations, Optum’s Compliance, Standards of Conduct, as well as other policies and procedures in order to ensure adherence in a manner that reflects honest, ethical, and professional behavior
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Associates/Bachelor’s Degree in Healthcare Administration, Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, or Associates/Bachelor’s Degree in Healthcare Administration, Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, or equivalent experience in revenue cycle, patient access operations will be considered
- 5+ years of substantial experience and career growth in Revenue Cycle leadership role may substitute for educational requirement
- 5+ years of supervisory or leadership experience
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- Certification within Healthcare Financial Management Association (HFMA) and/or the National Association of Healthcare Access Management (NAHAM)
- 7+ years of healthcare industry and revenue cycle experience
- Experience leading or participating in large Patient Access-related IT implementations
- Experience with the major Patient Access technologies currently in use (MS4 /Cerner), and/or other “like” systems
- Excellent organizational skills required (ability to multi-task, produce rapid turnaround, and effectively manage multiple projects)
- Exemplary level leadership and business driver skills (ability to make hard decisions focusing upon operational goals and business requirements)
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment
Careers with Optum. Our objective is to make health care simpler and more effective for everyone. With our hands at work across all aspects of health, you can play a role in creating a healthier world, one insight, one connection and one person at a time. We bring together some of the greatest minds and ideas to take health care to its fullest potential, promoting health equity and accessibility. Work with diverse, engaged and high-performing teams to help solve important challenges.
California Residents Only: The salary range for California residents is $85,000 to $167,300. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone–of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location and income–deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes — an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.