Lab Support Services Specialist - The Everett Clinic - Everett, WA
Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that is improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation is not about another gadget; it is about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There is no room for error. If you are looking for a better place to use your passion and your desire to drive change, this is the place to be. It's an opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Under general supervision, responsible for accessioning all lab orders and specimens into the laboratory, distribute reports to physicians and medical records in a timely manner, handles all reference lab specimens. This position also acts as a liaison for reference laboratories, answers all lab questions from physicians and clinical staff, and obtains necessary information for the phlebotomists to complete their work.
- 60% Process specimens -consisting of receiving, verifying patient identification, sorting, preparation and internal laboratory distribution of blood, urine and other biological specimens per protocol. Works with computer systems to perform job functions (EPIC, SOFT). Operate laboratory equipment such as centrifuge, copy equipment, etc.
- 20% Field phone calls - provide ordering information on lab tests and specimen requirements
- 10% Serves as a lab resource for documentation for lab incidents, filling out reference lab form, specimens issues and reporting issues.
- 8% Maintenance of equipment - recording temperatures, defrosting freezers, and cleaning
- Client Services
- 60% Phone customer service - receive calls regarding test ordering information, patient results from providers, place calls for patient redraws, contact reference laboratories for test inquiries and resolution
- 20% Manages lab results - collects lab results from reference laboratories, ensures results are received from external testing sites and/or scans results into EPIC, faxing and scanning results to include ECG interpretations
- 10% Places orders in EPIC
- 8% Requisition review - reviews all external lab requisitions to ensure the correct tests are ordered and compliance is met with TEC’s criteria
- Duties listed below are integrated into all job functions:
- All staff members are to promote a positive and productive work environment by acting maturely and responsibly, satisfactorily performing his or her job responsibilities and conducting themselves in a professional, courteous and respectful manner toward fellow employees, physicians and patients
- Must relate to other people beyond giving and receiving instructions: (a) get along with co-workers or peers without exhibiting behavioral extreme; (b) perform work activities requiring negotiating, instructing, supervising, persuading or speaking with others; and (c) respond openly and appropriately to feedback regarding performance from a supervisor
- Performs all duties in a manner which promotes and supports the Core Values and Compact of The Everett Clinic
- Integrates Lean principles, practices and tools to improve operational efficiency, reduce costs and increase customer satisfaction
- Frequently must follow written and oral instructions as well as complete routine tasks independently.
- Completes annual compliance training on HIPAA/Privacy/Confidentiality/Non-Discrimination/Harassment/Integrity Statement and signs Agreements
- Ensures confidentiality of patient information following HIPAA guidelines and TEC policies
- Attends training to meet requirements of the job position and as needed or mandated by TEC policies, Div. of Occupational Safety & Health (DOSH), OSHA, L&I and other state/federal regulations.
- Has regular and predictable attendance
- Performs other duties as assigned
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- High School Diploma, or GED
- 1+ years of clinical lab experience
- Basic clinical laboratory knowledge and familiarity with clinical laboratory terms.
- Medical terminology and/or phlebotomy training
- Able to multitask, pays attention to detail, works well independently and on a team, and maintains professionalism.
- Typing, phone and computer skills
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDS The physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by employees to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, employees are regularly required to sit, walk and stand; talk or hear, both in person and by telephone; use hands repetitively to finger, handle, feel or operate standard office equipment; reach with hands and arms; and lift up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and the ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, employees are regularly required to use written and oral communication skills; read and interpret data, information and documents; analyze and solve non-routine and complex office administrative problems; may use math and mathematical reasoning; observe and interpret situations; learn and apply new information or skills; perform highly detailed work on multiple, concurrent tasks; work under intensive deadlines with frequent interruptions; and interact with managers, staff, customers, patients, the public and others encountered in the course of work, some of whom may be dissatisfied or abusive individuals.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Typical office conditions and noise level is usually quiet. Interaction with others is busy, constant and occasionally interruptive. Work may be demanding at times and may require ability to work irregular hours.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
CONTACT RELATIONSHIPS: Staff, Physicians, patients and public,
Job descriptions represent a general outline of job duties, functions and qualifications. They are not intended to be comprehensive in nature. In addition, jobs evolve over time and therefore their description may not reflect the precise nature of the position at a given point in time.
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.