Treasury Consultant, Investment Management - Minnetonka, MN
At UnitedHealthcare, we’re simplifying the health care experience, creating healthier communities and removing barriers to quality care. The work you do here impacts the lives of millions of people for the better. Come build the health care system of tomorrow, making it more responsive, affordable and equitable. Ready to make a difference? Join us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
UnitedHealth Group businesses operate under regulatory licenses, which are governed by state insurance laws and federal and state banking regulations. Entities are required to maintain defined levels of capital to support the businesses. Investment management invests the capital of each entity within the context of investment policies, guidelines and regulatory limits. Each entity’s assets are allocated to optimize the risk/return profile of the overall portfolio. This is done by investing in a diversified manner across high-quality asset classes emphasizing fixed income securities. In addition, there are regulatory requirements for effectively identifying, quantifying, assessing, monitoring and reporting risk exposures. We are seeking to hire an investment analyst to support the management of the portfolio reporting to the Vice President, Investment Management.
Investment Management is a key organizational function whose stakeholders include the board of directors, senior management, regulators and credit rating agencies. The process of investing capital must meet regulatory requirements while at the same time balancing the desire for income, maximizing the economic value of the portfolio, and managing risk. This exciting investment management role is an immersion into the world of portfolio management, from an accounting, market, securities and entity level perspective.
The Investment Analyst will contribute to the analysis, reporting, accounting and compliance monitoring of UnitedHealth Group’s investment portfolios, individual securities and regulated entities. The successful candidate will support the investment managers in market and securities research, income and gain/loss analysis, outside advisor oversight, synthesizing data and investment policy application. In addition, establish and/or maintain effective working relationships throughout the organization, both at the corporate level and within the businesses to ensure access to information required to optimally manage each entities investment portfolio.
- Be knowledgeable of all UnitedHealth Groups investment policies and guidelines and their applicability to relevant UHG entities, portfolios and outside advisors
- Recognize and have a working knowledge of the different state codes governing the different entities
- Understand the different mandates and investment strategies assigned to each entity
- Provide security research using internal (e.g. PAM, Bloomberg, FactSet) and external (e.g. third-party research, outside advisors) sources for purposes of determining creditworthiness. Identify and demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of the features of a bond that would materially affect its performance
- Conduct portfolio analysis based on a variety of factors including UnitedHealth Group’s business strategy and developments, market conditions, issuer and credit rating concentrations
- Process overall market, economic and investment information/data from outside sources and apply it utilizing appropriate statistical techniques to identify and measure the potential risks to UHG’s investment portfolios and individual investments.
- Participate in and assist with the preparation of monthly and quarterly investment reports. Support investment managers and accountants in the preparation of GAAP, Call Report and Statutory reporting with the potential of working with outside auditors and regulators
- Update existing models and reports using internally approved methodologies and processes. Coordinate inputs from many sources while managing tight deadlines and priorities
- Identify, propose and implement areas of improvement to creating efficiencies in both investment and accounting processes
- Assist with the management of external vendor relationships, analytical models and related inquiries from internal and external sources
- Provide research and decision support related to special projects as needed
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Economics, Math, Actuarial Science or significantly related field
- 3+ years of experience in investment/security analysis
- Basic to intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Power Point and Word)
- Progress towards the CFA designation
- Solid analytical (quantitative and qualitative) and problem-solving skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Ability to work in a team-oriented and time sensitive environment that blends the structure of monthly and quarterly reporting deadlines with the dynamics of a changing financial market and business conditions
Highly motivated and a self-starter with an innate curiosity about the markets and investments who is eager to understand and apply portfolio management practices that will enhance UnitedHealth’s investment performance, operational excellence and capital efficiency to increase shareholder value.
- Financial Acumen: Understanding of economics, investments, accounting and statistical concepts and the aptitude to apply sound judgement
- Execute: Understand the goals and tasks assigned. Produce quality results by applying analytical skills to evaluate, synthesize and integrate data and information to support decision making
- Organizational Agility: Able to collaborate with other areas of the organization to accomplish goals through formal or informal channels. Able to thrive in a challenging ambiguous environment-financial markets and securities are ever evolving. Flexibility to adapt to changing work priorities and assignments
- Communication: Ability to work cooperatively with all levels of management and convey complex topics in a clear and concise manner
- Leadership: Offer input on overall investment strategy with business teams thereby establishing Treasury as a subject matter expert (“SME”) and furthering the positive impact and import of the Treasury Team/brand. Ability and willingness to promote, support and execute change
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment
Careers with UnitedHealthcare. Work with a Fortune 5 organization that’s serving millions of people as we transform health care with bold ideas. Bring your energy for driving change for the better. Help us improve health access and outcomes for everyone, as we work to advance health equity, connecting people with the care they need to feel their best. As an industry leader, our commitment to improving lives is second to none.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.