Senior Medical Coder - National Remote
$3,000 Sign On Bonus For External Candidates
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
Combine two of the fastest - growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that's improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about making Healthcare data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There's no room for error. Join us and start doing your life’s best work.SM
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
- Read and interpret medical coding rules and guidelines to make decisions (e.g., exclusions, sequencing, inclusions)
- Apply post-query response to make final determinations
- Make determinations on medical charting and take initiative to complete reviews independently to avoid delays in the process
- Apply relevant Medical Coding Reference, Federal, State, and Professional guidelines to assign and record independent medical
- code determinations.
- Manage multiple work demands simultaneously to maintain relevant productivity and turnaround time standards for completing
- Medical records (e.g., charts, assessments, visits, encounters)
- Resolve medical coding edits or denials in relation to code assignment
- Provide information or respond to questions from medical coding quality audits
- Perform medical coding audits to evaluate medical coding quality
- Review medical coding audit results
- Follow steps per agreement with medical coding audit results to resolve discrepancies
- Provide resources and information to substantiate medical coding audit findings
- Educate and mentor others to improve medical coding quality
- Leverage understanding of disease process to identify and extract relevant details and data within clinical documentation and make determinations or identify appropriate medical codes
- Utilize resources and reference materials (e.g., on-line sources, manuals) to identify appropriate medical codes and reference code applicability, rules, and guidelines
- Apply understanding of relevant medical coding subject areas (e.g., diagnosis, procedural, evaluation and management, ancillary services) to assign appropriate medical codes
- Apply understanding of basic anatomy and physiology to interpret clinical documentation and identify applicable medical codes
- Identify areas in clinical documentation that are unclear or incomplete and generate queries to obtain additional information
- Follow up with providers as necessary when responses to queries are not provided in a timely basis
- Utilize medical coding software programs or reference materials to identify appropriate codes
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- High School Diploma / GED (or higher)
- 5+ years prior coding experience in ICD-10-CM/PCS coding in an acute care hospital.
- Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT), Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA), and/or Certified Coding Specialist (CCS). CCA, or equivalent, to be considered based on experience.
- Working knowledge and high level of experience with the ICD-10-CM/PCS, MS-DRGs, APR-DRGs, POA's, and HAC's.
- Level I or Level II Trauma experience
- Required to have a dedicated work area established that is separated from other living areas and provides information privacy
- Ability to keep all company sensitive documents secure (if applicable)
- Must live in a location that can receive a UnitedHealth Group approved high-speed internet connection or leverage an existing high-speed internet service
UnitedHealth Group requires all new hires and employees to report their COVID-19 vaccination status.
Military & Veterans find your next mission: We know your background and experience is different and we like that. UnitedHealth Group values the skills, experience and dedication that serving in the military demands. In fact, many of the values defined in the service mirror what the UnitedHealth Group culture holds true: Integrity, Compassion, Relationships, Innovation and Performance. Whether you are looking to transition from active duty to a civilian career, or are an experienced veteran or spouse, we want to help guide your career journey. Learn more at https://uhg.hr/transitioning-military
Learn how Teresa, a Senior Quality Analyst, works with military veterans and ensures they receive the best benefits and experience possible. https://uhg.hr/vet
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world’s large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.SM
Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada Residents Only:The salary range for Colorado residents is $21.68 - $38.56. The salary range for Connecticut / Nevada residents is $23.94 - $42.40. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives
**PLEASE NOTE** The sign on bonus is only available to external candidates. Candidates who are currently working for a UnitedHealth Group, UnitedHealthcare or related entity in a full time, part time, or per diem basis ("Internal Candidates") are not eligible to receive a sign on bonus.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Keywords: #RPO, #YELLOW