Associate Medical Director - Providence, RI
* $80,000 Student Loan Repayment or $40,000 Sign On Bonus *
Landmark Health, part of the Optum and UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, was created to transform how healthcare is delivered to the most medically vulnerable members in our community. Our medical group provides home-based medical care to chronically ill patients, many of whom are ill-equipped to navigate our overwhelming healthcare system.
Join Landmark to be part of a growing company full of purpose-driven, action-oriented, and compassionate team members working to dramatically transform healthcare for our communities.
The Associate Medical Director (AMD) provides direct and indirect medical care and population health management to patients served by Landmark Health. This role reports directly to the Market Medical Director. This role also provides clinical and operational oversight to a team of physicians and advanced level practitioners assigned to them. The AMD also acts as a leader for the zone’s interdisciplinary team accountable for serving a patient population and/or geography within a Landmark market
The AMD directs and helps build the capacity of a team of providers in a zone to manage a population of complex patients, and is responsible for achieving clinical outcomes, optimizing utilization/costs, and ensuring high patient satisfaction within that zone. This position is 60% direct and indirect patient care and 40% administrative.
- Direct & Indirect Patient Care
- Provide medical care to a panel of patients of the highest complexity
- Transition high acuity patients back to longitudinal providers as patients’ condition improves
- Act as a consultative physician focused on stabilizing the frailest and most vulnerable patients within the population
- Complete comprehensive chart reviews and ride alongs of providers in their respective zone in order to ensure high quality care of patients
- Participate in the market on call schedule and provide telephonic on-call coverage that require telephonic triage based on market needs
- Support advanced level practitioners with in-person or telephonic clinical consultations
- Provide real time supervision of Urgentivist Extenders (paramedics or RNs/LPNs/LVNs) as needed
- Review reports and data to improve population health for patients within their zone and patient panel
- Provide clinical leadership, oversee quality and execute clinical operations within a defined zone
- Oversee the application of specific measurements of quality and ensure that all providers consistently meet thresholds
- Remain current in the knowledge of geriatrics, utilization management, quality management, managed care principals and new clinical developments and technologies
- Participate in the continuous assessment and improvement of the quality of care provided to members
- At the direction of the Market Medical Director participate in the resolution of medically related grievances
- Team Performance Management
- Supervise POD leaders and advanced practice practitioners directly reporting to AMD, including conducting regular 1:1s, proactively providing performance feedback, reviews and mentorship, overseeing provider education, in-service training, and orientation
- Support the Market Medical Director in recruiting advanced practice practitioners and physicians in their zone, ensuring the pursuit of talent with the appropriate mix of clinical skills and behavioral qualities to retain a high performing team
- Proactive ownership for zone’s performance against key clinical and operational performance metrics
- Ownership of onboarding support and clinical education to providers in the zone
- Assist with creating, publishing and participating in the call schedule, approving PTO and other administrative activities
- Interdisciplinary Team Leadership
- Lead and participate in interdisciplinary team meetings, including case reviews that engage the full team, teaching on relevant clinical topics, and training on new protocols and workflows
- Participate in provider and physician meetings
- Join daily huddle with a focused team of interdisciplinary staff
- Health Plan & Community Relations
- Assist Market Medical Director in enhancing community relationships with targeted and local hospitals, PCPs, community acute care, SNF, LTC and ALF facilities in the market
- Act as a local leader and advocate for the Landmark model with community providers and delivery systems and other community partners or potential business partners
- Serve as an advocate for the team with community providers when escalation is necessary and ensure appropriate resolution
- Strategy & Standardization
- Support implementation of centrally-led initiatives and develop market-led improvement initiatives
- Support Market Medical Director when not available for meetings within and outside of Landmark
- Participate actively in all Peer Review activities
- Other duties as assigned by the Market Medical Director
Reports directly to the Market Medical Director
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
- Technical Skills - Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; pursues training and development opportunities; strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; shares expertise with others
- Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; responds promptly to customer needs; solicits customer feedback to improve service; responds to requests for service and assistance; meets commitments
- Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on solving conflict; maintains confidentiality; listens to others; keeps emotions under control and overcomes resistance when necessary; remains open to new ideas
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and seeks clarification; responds openly to questions. Must be able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events
- Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time; ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; arrives at meetings and appointments on time
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; takes responsibility for own actions; keeps commitments; commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan
- Initiative - Volunteers readily; undertakes self-development activities; seeks increased responsibilities; takes independent actions and calculated risks; looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; asks for and offers help when needed; generates suggestions for improving work and workflow
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physician currently licensed to practice without restriction in the state of practice and has met or exceeded all the credentialing requirements of a provider within the provider panel
- Have experience in leading teams of physicians and mid-level providers in delivering high-quality, cost-effective care
- Experience in recruiting and hiring medical talent along with continuous supervision of the medical care delivered
- Experience in coaching members of the health care team to provide excellent care or, if needed, determine deficiencies in care and formulate a plan for improvement
- Current in the knowledge of geriatrics, utilization management, quality management, managed care principals and new clinical developments and technologies
- Ability to analyze staffing needs sufficient to care for the patient panel
- Access to reliable transportation required; if you are driving a vehicle, you must comply with all the terms of the Landmark Motor Vehicle Safety Policy
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential requirement of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance
Below are the physical requirements which are representative of those that must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Regular requirement to sit; use hands to touch, handle or feel
- Regular requirement to talk and listen
- Occasional requirement to stand; walk and reach with hands and arms
- Occasional requirement to lift and/or move up to 10 pounds
- Vision abilities include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus
- Ability to travel by plane or car
Below is a description of the work environment that the employee will encounter while performing the essential functions of the job.
- Noise level is usually moderate
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment
At OptumCare, we’ve found that putting clinicians at the center of care is the best way to improve lives. Our physician-led organization is one of the most dynamic and progressive health care organizations in the world, serving over 17 million people through more than 45,000 aligned physicians and 9,000 advanced practice clinicians. You will find our team working in local clinics, surgery centers and urgent care centers, within care models focused on managing risk, higher quality outcomes and driving change through collaboration and innovation. Learn more at www.workatoptum.com.
Would you thrive with OptumCare?
- Do you practice evidence-based medicine?
- Are you seeking a practice focused on patient-centered quality care, not volume?
- Are you a team player - comfortable delegating and empowering teams?
- Are you constantly seeking better ways to do things?
- Do you want to be part of something better?
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
* Student Loan Repayment or Sign-on Bonus for individuals who have not previously participated in this program.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: OptumCare is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employers and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
OptumCare is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.