Medical Coder/Coach - National Remote
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
Welcome to one of the toughest and most fulfilling ways to help people, including yourself. We offer the latest tools, most intensive training program in the industry and nearly limitless opportunities for advancement. Join us and start doing your life's best work.SM
This position is full-time (40 hours/week) Monday - Friday. Employees are required to have flexibility to work any of our 8-hour shift schedules during our normal business hours of 8:00am - 5:00pm. It may be necessary, given the business need, to work occasional overtime.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
- Responsible for auditing all cases with findings/ no findings prior to closure, provide feedback to individuals, review individual and peer historical performance. Provides coaching sessions as per the root cause analysis of identified errors.
- Determines appropriate level of service utilizing Evaluation and Management Coding principles
- Ensures adherence to state and federal compliance policies, reimbursement policies and contract compliance
- Responsible for Clinical and Coding expertise in the application of medical and
- reimbursement policies within the claim adjudication process through file review. This could include Medical Director/physician consultations, interpretation of state and federal mandates, applicable benefit language, medical and reimbursement policies, and consideration of relevant clinical information
- Performs audit of clinical coverage review of post-service, pre-payment claims, which requires interpretation of state and federal mandates, applicable benefit language, medical & reimbursement policies, coding requirements and consideration of relevant clinical information on claims with aberrant billing patterns
- Performs audit of clinical coding review to ensure accuracy of medical coding and utilizes clinical expertise and judgment to determine correct coding & billing
- Identifies aberrant billing patterns and trends, evidence of fraud, waste, or abuse, and recommends providers to be flagged for review
- Provides clinical support and expertise to the other investigative and analytical areas
- Participates in team and network meetings, engaging in a collaborative work environment
- Serves as a clinical resource to other areas within the clinical investigative team
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- High School Diploma / GED (or higher)
- 2+ years of experience as AHIMA or AAPC Certified coder (CPT/HCPCS/ICD – 10/CM/PCS coding experience)
- Certified Coder AHIMA or AAPC Certified coder (CPC, CCS, CCA, RHIT, CPMA, RHIA, CDIP)
- Understanding of Waste & Error principles
- Associates Degree (or higher)
- 2+ years of practical experience interpreting reimbursement policies and provisions for Medicare, Community, State, Employer and Individual
- Nurse (RN, LPN) with unrestricted license
- Knowledge of Medicare reimbursement methodologies, i.e. Resource Based Relative Value System (RBRVS)
- Required to have a dedicated work area established that is separated from other living areas and provides information privacy
- Ability to keep all company sensitive documents secure (if applicable)
- Must live in a location that can receive a UnitedHealth Group approved high-speed internet connection or leverage an existing high-speed internet service
UnitedHealth Group requires all new hires and employees to report their COVID-19 vaccination status.
Military & Veterans find your next mission: We know your background and experience is different and we like that. UnitedHealth Group values the skills, experience and dedication that serving in the military demands. In fact, many of the values defined in the service mirror what the UnitedHealth Group culture holds true: Integrity, Compassion, Relationships, Innovation and Performance. Whether you are looking to transition from active duty to a civilian career, or are an experienced veteran or spouse, we want to help guide your career journey. Learn more at https://uhg.hr/transitioning-military
Learn how Teresa, a Senior Quality Analyst, works with military veterans and ensures they receive the best benefits and experience possible. https://uhg.hr/vet
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make the health system work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health - related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.SM
Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $26.15 - $46.63. The salary range for Connecticut / Nevada residents is $28.85 - $51.30. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.