Director, Communications - El Segundo, CA
Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that is improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation is not about another gadget; it is about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There is no room for error. If you are looking for a better place to use your passion and your desire to drive change, this is the place to be. It's an opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
The Optum Communications director will design and implement communication strategies that elevate Optum's reputation, performance, and connections with employees. Specifically, she/he will be responsible for internal communications within the Washington market and external communications for the Pacific West region. The role is comprised of majority internal communication responsibilities with some external communications.
- Partner with Optum leadership to develop and implement executive communication strategies, report regularly on communication progress
- Develop and implement internal communication strategies for our Washington market that improve business performance, connect employees, and reinforce our mission, vision, values, and culture
- Develop and implement external communication strategies that expand brand awareness and elevate our leaders
- Collaborate to develop and implement a modern, dependable communications infrastructure that reduces low-level administrative burden on communicators
- Manage Washington communication team members’ performance, development needs, and career growth
- Project manage communication campaigns to ensure timely, successful completion
- Develop content tailored to the specific medium and audience requirements across written, visual, interactive, and auditory format
- Analyze communications performance, report regularly on status and continuously improve strategy, channels, content, and tactics
- Proactively seek out and promote innovative and creative approaches to communication
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders to help define communications needs and preferences
- Manage agency relationships, ensuring requirements and objectives are successfully met
- Establish a cohort of media-trained clinicians and coordinate media placements
- Effectively collaborate with external communications team to identify, pursue, and place key earned media content
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 10+ years corporate communications experience
- 3+ years of experience managing a team
- Project management experience and the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Experience communicating in multiple media (e.g., print, email, web, video/audio)
- Success working with senior executive level clients and stakeholders
- Proven ability to consult with clients to determine requirements, stakeholders, and scope
- Master's degree or demonstrated equivalent experience
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, complex, often-changing environment
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.