Senior Medical Director - Texas - WellMed Medical Group
A partner of the OptumCare network, WellMed Medical Group (WMG) is seeking an Senior Medical Director for Texas. We are transforming healthcare nationally while providing Physician-led care locally. Start doing your life’s best work with the largest care delivery organization in the world.
The Senior Medical Director (SMD) is a key member of the Market Leadership and Management Team who shares responsibility for decision making and outcomes in the market with the other members of the market team. The SMD is responsible for improving the quality and efficiency of medical care in his/her market(s) and leading the provider network (both employed and contracted). The Senior Medical Director is also responsible for mentoring all assigned Medical Directors in their leadership development.
- Oversees and manages the Market Leadership team and ensures assigned market deliverables are implemented in an effective and timely manner.
- Develops and maintain a collegial relationship with physicians (employed and contracted) in order to support the business efforts of the organization.
- Implement market specific initiatives and ensures that processes and procedures are aligned with the business model.
- Drives improvement of quality indicators in assigned market by identifying, directing, and executing continuous quality improvement activities or processes.
- Oversees and manages the assigned Medical Directors as well as provides leadership and mentoring in the establishment of departmental objectives related to staffing plans, financial goals, etc.
- Mentors all Medical Directors and help develop them as a leader within the market management and leadership team.
- Perform annual evaluations of assigned Medical Directors and Associate Medical Director and other providers as directed.
- Participate in Committees, as needed.
- Collaborates with Market Operations and Provider Relations staff in the market(s).
- Assists in the identification of potential physician practice acquisitions in assigned market.
- Partnering with the Clinical Affordability team to support new innovative approaches to making healthcare more efficient and meaningful to PCPs and patients alike; ultimately bending the cost curve in region
- Developing and cascading clinical outcome/improvement messaging to business units to foster tighter working culture
- Assist driving aligned performance in largely an independently contracted provider network through the development of meaningful relationships, financial and quality incentives, best practices, forward thinking solutions to improve our value proposition to medical providers
- Assist in the identification and development of current/new best practices in support of continuous financial and quality improvement
- Serve as an integral dyad partner interfacing with Corporate level support divisions, to include: Quality, Risk Adjustment, Cost and Care and Patient Support Unit (PSU)
What makes an OptumCare organization different?
- WellMed is a Medicare Advantage Plan that operates as a health system focused on Quality/Value Based Outcomes
- Our care model limits daily volume to allow our providers the time needed to provide quality care to their patients
- We offer clinical and leadership growth and stability second to none
- Providers are supported to practice at the peak of their license
- We are influencing change on a national scale while maintaining the culture and community of our local care organizations
- OptumCare Physician Partnership Plan
- 401k with match, Executive Savings Plan with Match, and UHG Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Comprehensive Benefits from Optum Partner Services
At WellMed our focus is simple. We're innovators in preventative health care, striving to change the face of health care for seniors. We're impacting 240,000+ lives, primarily Medicare eligible seniors in Texas and Florida, through primary and multi-specialty clinics, and contracted medical management services. We've joined Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of companies, and our mission is to help the sick become well and to help patients understand and control their health in a lifelong effort at wellness. Our providers and staff are selected for their dedication and focus on preventative, proactive care. For you, that means one incredible team and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.
- Doctor of Medicine (M.D.), Doctor of Osteopathy (D.O.), or M.B.B.S required
- Five or more years of clinical experience, including three or more years of experience as a Medical Director.
- Active, unrestricted medical license in Texas or the ability to obtain one rapidly
- Ability to travel other markets in Texas 50% of the time
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- Three or more years of managed care experience.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) fluency
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies now require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles require full COVID-19 vaccination as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment.
The OptumCare Story:
At OptumCare, we’ve found that putting clinicians at the center of care is the best way to improve lives. Our physician-led organization is one of the most dynamic and progressive health care organizations in the world, serving over 14 million people through more than 38,000 aligned physicians and 9,000 advanced practice clinicians. You will find our team working in local clinics, surgery centers and urgent care centers, within care models focused on managing risk, higher quality outcomes and driving change through collaboration and innovation. Learn more about our journey here.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: OptumCare is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employers and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
OptumCare is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.