Associate Director External Affairs - Washington DC
UnitedHealth Group is a company that's on the rise. We're expanding in multiple directions, across borders and, most of all, in the way we think. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about transforming the health care industry. Ready to make a difference? Make yourself at home with us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
The Associate Director, External Affairs will play a key role on the External Affairs team, partnering closely with the Chief of Staff in driving operational processes and supporting projects for all functions within External Affairs. This position requires a natural collaborator and problem solver, a skilled writer, strong attention to detail, and unmatched organizational expertise. This role is multifaceted, providing a unique opportunity to work on a variety of projects day-to-day, from management and operations to research, analysis and writing. This position is based in Washington, D.C. and is a flexible, hybrid work model, requiring individuals to come into an office only three days a week.
- Reporting to External Affairs Chief of Staff, work across functions and roles within External Affairs to accomplish priorities and manage key projects and deliverables
- Write and review materials for internal and external audiences, such as memos and executive summaries
- Manage important administrative operations for the team, such as the new hire onboarding process, yearly External Affairs calendar, organizational charts, personnel information, and subscription access and renewal process
- Research, analyze, and compile information and data on priority and emerging health care issues
- On a quarterly basis, update company information and associated state snapshots for internal and external use
- Use solid attention to detail and time management skills to organize and plan events, meetings, and distinct projects
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in Political Science, Public Health, Communications, Public Policy, Public Relations, or related field
- 4+ years of professional work experience in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated skill in Microsoft Office suite - Intermediate skill in Excel, Word, PowerPoint (designing executive-ready decks)
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- 3+ years of professional work experience in health care industry
- Experience in organizing or planning events and meetings
- Experience with Salesforce, Adobe, and/or InDesign
- Experience in government affairs or public policy
- Demonstrated exceptional research, writing, editing and analytical skills
- Adept at distilling complex topics and issues
- Demonstrated exceptional project and time management skills
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment
Careers at UnitedHealth Group. We have modest goals: Improve the lives of others. Change the landscape of health care forever. Leave the world a better place than we found it. Such aspirations tend to attract a certain type of person. Talented. Compassionate. Driven. To these select few, we offer the global reach, resources and can-do culture of a Fortune 5 company. We provide an environment where you're empowered to be your best. We encourage you to take risks. And we offer a world of rewards and benefits for performance. We believe the most important is the opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.