SSM - Pro-Fee Medical Coder - National Remote
$3,000 Sign On Bonus For External Candidates
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
Combine two of the fastest - growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that's improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about making Healthcare data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There's no room for error. Join us and start doing your life’s best work.SM
The Medical Coder functions as the first line management for the Coding Department and provides oversight for the coding staff and operations. This includes education to the Coders, Providers and Staff on coding and proper documentation for Ambulatory services. Responsibilities within the department include: coding, audits, project management, staff development, quality management and training.
This position is full-time, Monday - Friday. Employees are required to work our normal business hours of 5:00am – 6:00pm. It may be necessary, given the business need, to work occasional overtime or weekends.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
- Identify appropriate assignment of CPT and ICD-10 Codes for specified departments while adhering to the official coding guidelines and established client coding guidelines of the assigned facility
- Provider coding education and interdepartmental coding education support.
- Apply coding knowledge to analyze/correct CCI Edits and Medical Necessity Edits
- Review medical charts electronically using a computer
- Abstract and code diagnosis and documentation information
- Adhere to the ethical standards of coding as established by AAPC and/or AHIMA
- Adhere to and maintain required levels of performance in both coding quality and productivity as established by Optum360
- Research and resolution of coding projects as assigned
- Document requested information from the medical record
- Determine valid encounters including legibility and valid signature requirements
- Identify valid face to face encounters
- Perform ongoing analysis of medical record charts for the appropriate coding compliance
- Attend conference calls as necessary to provide information and/or feedback
- Ability to manage significant workload, and to work efficiently under pressure meeting established deadlines with minimal supervision.
- Monitors assigned work queues to ensure all records are charged/coded in a timely matter.
- Generates coding queries for clarification regarding physician documentation as needed.
- Additional responsibilities as identified by manager
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- High School Diploma / GED (or higher)
- Coding certification to include the following: CPC, CPC-H, CCS, CCS-P, CRC, to be maintained annually
- Ability to identify and code diagnosis codes according to CMS and ICD-10 standards
- Computer proficiency in a Windows environment, including Microsoft Word (create, copy, edit, send and save documents) and Microsoft Excel (ability to create, open, edit and save)
- Ability to work any 8-hour shift between 5:00am - 6:00pm
- 2+ years of professional or outpatient coding experience
- Ambulatory surgery and observation experience
- Experience with various encoder systems (eCAC,3M, EPIC, Meditech)
- Intermediate level of experience with Microsoft Excel (create, data entry, save)
- Required to have a dedicated work area established that is separated from other living areas and provides information privacy
- Ability to keep all company sensitive documents secure (if applicable)
- Must live in a location that can receive a UnitedHealth Group approved high-speed internet connection or leverage an existing high-speed internet service
UnitedHealth Group requires all new hires and employees to report their COVID-19 vaccination status.
Military & Veterans find your next mission: We know your background and experience is different and we like that. UnitedHealth Group values the skills, experience and dedication that serving in the military demands. In fact, many of the values defined in the service mirror what the UnitedHealth Group culture holds true: Integrity, Compassion, Relationships, Innovation and Performance. Whether you are looking to transition from active duty to a civilian career, or are an experienced veteran or spouse, we want to help guide your career journey. Learn more at https://uhg.hr/transitioning-military
Learn how Teresa, a Senior Quality Analyst, works with military veterans and ensures they receive the best benefits and experience possible. https://uhg.hr/vet
Careers with OptumInsight. Information and technology have amazing power to transform the Healthcare industry and improve people's lives. This is where it's happening. This is where you'll help solve the problems that have never been solved. We're freeing information so it can be used safely and securely wherever it's needed. We're creating the very best ideas that can most easily be put into action to help our clients improve the quality of care and lower costs for millions. This is where the best and the brightest work together to make positive change a reality. This is the place to do your life’s best work.SM
Colorado, Connecticut, Nevada or New York City Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $18.17 - $32.26. The salary range for Connecticut / Nevada / New York City residents is $20.00 - $35.53. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives
**PLEASE NOTE** The sign on bonus is only available to external candidates. Candidates who are currently working for a UnitedHealth Group, UnitedHealthcare or related entity in a full time, part time, or per diem basis ("Internal Candidates") are not eligible to receive a sign on bonus.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.