Senior Medical Risk Coder - Remote
Optum is a global organization that delivers care, aided by technology to help millions of people live healthier lives. The work you do with our team will directly improve health outcomes by connecting people with the care, pharmacy benefits, data and resources they need to feel their best. Come make an impact on the communities we serve as we help advance health equity on a global scale. Here, you will find talented peers, comprehensive benefits, a culture guided by diversity and inclusion, career growth opportunities and your life's best work.(sm)
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to work remotely* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Maintaining current knowledge of coding guidelines and relevant federal regulations through the use of current CPT-4, HCPCS II, and ICD-10 materials, the Federal Register, and other pertinent materials
- Abides by all ethical standards and adheres to official coding guidelines
- Conducts physician chart audits (includes research and presentation)
- Assists with implementation of billing policies and procedures in all centers
- Assists with formal training programs for physicians and clinical staff by determining training needs
- Assists Manager with researching, analyzing, and responding to inquiries regarding compliance, coding, and inappropriate coding
- Trains, instructs, and/or provides technical support to physicians and staff as needed regarding coding compliance provisions, and third-party payer requirements
- Works with Manager of Coding and Auditing to provide oversight of other coder/auditor team members as delegated
- Works closely with Manager of Coding and Auditing to develop practitioner and staff education opportunities, provide coding and audit result reporting, and additional responsibilities as required
- Be able to conduct training sessions for physicians and staff on relevant topics such as documentation guidelines, Medicare/Medicaid regulations, and the Correct Coding Initiative
- Available to assist and direct other coders or other appropriate staff in coding opportunities and reimbursement issues
- Performs related work and projects as required
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Ability to travel up to 10% is required
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- High School diploma, GED or equivalent
- Coding certification through AAPC or AHIMA
- 3+ years of coding experience
- Excellent understanding of ICD-10-CM coding classification and guidelines
- Excellent understanding of CPT, HCPCS, and modifier coding and guidelines
- Excellent understanding of medical terminology, disease process and anatomy and physiology
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- Supervisory experience
- Good organizational and communication skills
- Task oriented and able to meet designated deadlines and productivity standards
- Solid Interpersonal skills and excellent Customer Service skills
- Ability to present a professional image when interacting with all levels of staff
- Ability to read, write, speak, and understand the English language fluently
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment
Careers with Optum. Our objective is to make health care simpler and more effective for everyone. With our hands at work across all aspects of health, you can play a role in creating a healthier world, one insight, one connection and one person at a time. We bring together some of the greatest minds and ideas to take health care to its fullest potential, promoting health equity and accessibility. Work with diverse, engaged and high-performing teams to help solve important challenges.
Colorado, Connecticut, Nevada, or New York City Residents Only: The hourly range for Colorado residents is $21.68 to $38.56. The hourly range for Connecticut/Nevada/New York City residents is $23.94 to $42.40. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
*All employees working remotely will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.