Associate Director Cell Therapy, Operational Excellence
Working with Us
Challenging. Meaningful. Life-changing. Those aren’t words that are usually associated with a job. But working at Bristol Myers Squibb is anything but usual. Here, uniquely interesting work happens every day, in every department. From optimizing a production line to the latest breakthroughs in cell therapy, this is work that transforms the lives of patients, and the careers of those who do it. You’ll get the chance to grow and thrive through opportunities uncommon in scale and scope, alongside high-achieving teams rich in diversity. Take your career farther than you thought possible.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives. Read more: careers.bms.com/working-with-us
The Director, Operational Excellence will be responsible for leading and executing organizational/operational excellence programs and strategies within the BMS Global Product Development and Supply (GPS) Cell Therapy Organization (CTO): Including :
- Driving organizational performance through leading knowledge transfer and workforce empowerment using collaboration, proven lean six-sigma tools, and change management methodologies.
- Leading activities/projects supporting the strategic and operational alignment, cooperation, and communication across business unit functions and support/coach behaviors and practices builds ownership and supports sustained business capability improvement.
- Supporting the integration of standard measures and behaviors and the regular application of lean tools and processes in daily operations.
- Support continuous improvement culture
- Execute strategy and application of continuous improvement through Systems and Tools, Teaching (Training Curriculums and Mentorship), and Deployment.
- Lead the identification, prioritization and implementation of initiatives to improve and ensure long-term organizational excellence
- In combinations with site resources, lead and facilitate all aspects of change and continuous improvement initiatives.
- Support End-to-End (E2E) Value Stream Management for high complexity products globally and support integrated manufacturing plans.
- Partner with sites and processes to develop and implement cost improvement projects through operational efficiencies
- Improve manufacturing performance through appropriate integration and application of operational excellence tools and methodologies (lean, six sigma, etc.) work with the site to implement or streamline/improve use of LEAN tools.
- Propose and support the projects and programs within the businesses for the identification of improvement levers, setting smart objectives and carrying-out Manufacturing Excellence programs
- Aid sites/functions in the identification of highest value areas for improvement and support delivery of improvement of plant/GMS performance with site teams
- Lead and mentor leadership team members, facilitating a culture that motivates employees
- Recommend and implement methods to increase the quality of products and/or services
- Exhibit safety awareness and safe work practices. Protect employees and visitors by maintaining a safe and clean working environment
- Facilitate network replication of best practices
- Develop resource plans, design project charters and milestones, and determine SMART project targets along with quantifying and tracking project metrics
- Capture and align the strategic goals by creating deployment plans to measure current state and create a road map to address gaps where goals are not being met
Professional experience and qualifications:
- 6+ years experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a scientific related discipline required. MBA or advanced scientific degree preferred
- Lean Six Sigma Certification
- Direct experience leading and supporting operational excellence transformations in a pharmaceutical or a related regulated industry, is required. Divisional and Site based OpEx experience a plus.
- Previous experience of the design and implementation of a Lean Enterprise Operating framework a plus.
- Up to ~25% travel (domestic and International)
- Passion for excellence and standards.
- Strong Systems design and implementation acumen and experience
- Must possess a strategic perspective, global acumen, and leadership disposition
- Ability to work in a Global Environment with well-rounded experience executing and leading projects on continuous improvement, Lean, Six Sigma, and operational excellence
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Project management fundamentals and application including the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously; Ability to manage multiple projects and evaluate priorities with minimal supervision
- Clear demonstration of the ability to lead through influence, effectively drive performance, build alignment, inform, negotiate and collaborate with various stakeholders
- Understands Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) as related to Pharmaceutical and Biotech Manufacturing
- Must possess strong verbal and communication skills, and a well–developed ability to constructively work across functional areas and levels to achieve results
The starting compensation for this job is a range from $141,000 - $178,000
plus incentive cash and stock opportunities (based on eligibility). The starting pay rate takes into account characteristics of the job, such as required skills and the geographic location where work is performed. Final, individual compensation is decided commensurate with demonstrated experience. For more on benefits, please visit our BMS Careers Site. Eligibility for specific benefits listed therein may vary based on job and location.
If you come across a role that intrigues you but doesn’t perfectly line up with your resume, we encourage you to apply anyway. You could be one step away from work that will transform your life and career.
Uniquely Interesting Work, Life-changing Careers
With a single vision as inspiring as “Transforming patients’ lives through science™ ”, every BMS employee plays an integral role in work that goes far beyond ordinary. Each of us is empowered to apply our individual talents and unique perspectives in an inclusive culture, promoting diversity in clinical trials, while our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is a necessary job function of this role, which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and it enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
BMS is dedicated to ensuring that people with disabilities can perform complex functions through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, or in any part of the recruitment process, direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
BMS will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to applicable laws in your area.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.