Patient Access Director - Phoenix
Optum is a global organization that delivers care, aided by technology to help millions of people live healthier lives. The work you do with our team will directly improve health outcomes by connecting people with the care, pharmacy benefits, data and resources they need to feel their best. Here, you will find a culture guided by diversity and inclusion, talented peers, comprehensive benefits and career development opportunities. Come make an impact on the communities we serve as you help us advance health equity on a global scale. Join us to start Caring. Connecting. Growing together.
The Director is responsible for effectively leading and directing the work of assigned staff within the parameters of designated performance standards and metrics. The Director is expected to support Patient Access leadership and to motivate staff to achieve the highest levels of customer satisfaction and to meet the organization goals for customer service and financial performance. The Director is responsible to ensure the department meets key metrics established by the client and sets targets to meet and exceed performance standards. This position leads the team through the change management process and focuses to identify gaps within registration to improve deficiencies where opportunity exists. This role serves as a representative of the corporate Patient Access Revenue Cycle Operations department. The Director works to build relationships with client administration and works in tandem with local leadership to interact with other departments including internal customers within the revenue cycle team. The incumbent attends managerial meetings as required and supports the core values of Optum360, which is an integral part of this position
Although this position is primarily focused upon the provision of service at the Facility (Hospital and/or Clinics), the position has frequent contact with the Regional Patient Registration Directors and the Corporate Patient Registration Directors and Managers, as well as facility-based clinical and administrative leadership.
- Provides facility level oversight of the following areas:
- Financial Clearance (as assigned)
- Registration / Check-in, including Point-of-Service Collections
- Financial Counselling
- Patient Satisfaction / Customer Service
- Other duties as assigned by the local client, including but not limited to Patient Scheduling, Bed Management / Patient Placement, MPTL and Switchboard
- And responsible for the development of processes and initiatives designed to improve Revenue Cycle performance in assigned areas which includes:
- SLA and MSA compliance
- CHAN and other regulatory audit follow-up and compliance
- Client Liaison (i.e., Relationship development, program coordination)
- Customer Engagement (Patient Experience and Client Satisfaction):
- Participates in targeted customer engagement improvement initiatives
- Collaborates with and actively coaches assigned management and frontline staff in the implementation of strategies to improve the satisfaction and experience levels
- Monitors and evaluates the results of various service / satisfaction surveys and conducts analysis of data to identify and operationalize opportunities for improvements
- Communications (i.e., Patient Access Newsletters, CFO Presentations, Monthly Operational Reports, etc.)
- Department Status Report compilation and presentation
- Facility budget maintenance
- Workforce Management oversight (Staffing plan, work schedules, position requisitions, productivity and quality monitors, disciplinary actions, staff orientation, evaluation feedback, etc.)
- Facility-based vendor relations and support (i.e., Self-Pay Medicaid Eligibility staff)
- Process improvement initiatives, either facility-based or corporate
- Other duties as assigned
- Provides system level oversight for Optum360 client improvement programs and initiatives related to assigned Patient Access activities, working with the Regional Patient Registration Directors and other Patient Access leaders, Facility administration and leadership, and others from the Optum360 team, as warranted.
- Effectively leads initiatives related to Data Integrity (System Edit Reviews, DNFB performance, etc.), Quality Assurance, Patient Satisfaction, Employee Engagement and Process Improvement activities; ensuring associate understanding and commitment, as well as expected process improvement outcomes. Develops action plans to mitigate deficiencies in performance to maintain or exceed targets.
- Leads by example: promotes teamwork and operational relationships by fostering a positive, transparent and focused working environment which achieves maximum results. Facilitates growth and development opportunities for their leaders and mentors when applicable to foster exemplary leadership.
- Maintains and demonstrates expert knowledge of the application of Patient Access processes and best practices; drives the integration of Optum360 Patient Access related business objectives within the client environment. Understands the importance of compliance, follows local state and federal guidelines and is able to articulate such knowledge and share with their team.
- Serves in a leadership role and promotes positive Human Resource Management skills:
- Interviews, selects and is accountable for the on-going development and evaluation of individuals within the area of responsibility
- Develops associate loyalty and retention through effective associate engagement, inclusion and participation; Proactively solicits, listens to and addresses associate suggestions; Promotes a professional environment that recognizes and respects diversity
- Develops associate work schedules to ensure cost effective staffing that meets customer requirements, while promoting an economical, efficient workforce and considers associate work-life balance
- Establishes, implements and evaluates on-going performance improvement programs, utilizing an interdisciplinary approach; Escalates to the Regional Director any unfavorable trends or disciplinary actions; Provides managerial follow-up related to performance, up to and including disciplinary actions and termination
- Provides staff training and mentoring to promote growth and development of assigned resources
- Financial and personnel management of assigned areas
- Provides leadership for departmental services through collaboration with customers, employees, physicians, clinics, other Optum360 / client departments and services, vendors, etc. Scope of job duties, include and are not limited to:
- Effectively managing the assigned Patient Access activities and staff members. Demonstrated ability to interpret 3rd party payer contract requirements and recommend, design and implement procedures for compliance with regulations and standards
- Uses knowledge of Patient Access industry leading practices, performance metrics and monitors, and other documentation in order to expedite appropriate use of resources and ensure 3rd party payor and client compliance
- Distributing process updates regarding criteria changes, regulation changes, process and program changes to assigned staff, ensuring their understanding and future compliance
- Is familiar with the entire revenue cycle function and demonstrates good understanding of revenue integrity, billing and collections and coding
- Manages assigned staff in order to ensure steady workflow balance and high-quality outcomes:
- Effectively directs and facilitates a multidisciplinary team to achieve its desired outcome
- Creates a culture supportive of personnel, fostering individual motivation, teamwork and high levels of performance and accountability, and staff retention
- Supports a collaborative, participative management style
- Fosters teamwork atmosphere between business and clinical stakeholders
- Maintains close business relationship with associates at the regional and local levels by ensuring onsite and virtual presence at regular intervals and during special events
- Educates physicians, physician office staff, and organizational associates regarding assigned Patient Access requirements:
- Functions as a consultant to Regional and facility-based leadership, physicians, case managers and others regarding assigned performance guidelines and standards for Patient Access services
- Meets with individual or groups of physicians, family members, 3rd party payers, and vendors as necessary in order to facilitate the Patient Access process at the local level
- Identifies action plans to improve the quality of services in a cost-efficient manner and facilitates plan implementation.
- Prepares required reports using statistically sound information, displaying content in easily understandable format; Escalates to the Regional Director any unfavorable trends
- Maintains professional development and growth through journals, professional affiliations, seminars, and workshops to keep abreast of trends in revenue cycle operations and healthcare in general:
- Participates as appropriate in continuing educational programs and activities that pertain to healthcare and revenue cycle management, as well as specific functional areas
- Develops and implements an annual plan of personal and professional development
- Demonstrates the competencies necessary to influence others’ behaviors toward a common dedication to the Optum360’s mission, goals, and objectives
- Participates in local, regional and national health care revenue activities and professionally represents Optum360 at these functions
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- 5+ years of experience in a supervisory / management role, working in a hospital Patient Registration Department, physician office setting, healthcare insurance company, revenue cycle vendor, and/or other revenue cycle role
- 3+ years experience working with a variety of individuals in executive, managerial and staff level positions
- Experience leading or participating in large Patient Access-related IT and/or Contact Center program implementation? (i.e. Strong Project management experience)
- Intermediate level skills in: Microsoft Excel, Word, Project, PowerPoint, and SharePoint.
- Willing to be onsite at St. Joseph's Hospital & Medical Center in Phoenix, (address: 350 W Thomas Rd, Phoenix, AZ) or willing to relocate
Careers with Optum. Our objective is to make health care simpler and more effective for everyone. With our hands at work across all aspects of health, you can play a role in creating a healthier world, one insight, one connection and one person at a time. We bring together some of the greatest minds and ideas to take health care to its fullest potential, promoting health equity and accessibility. Work with diverse, engaged and high-performing teams to help solve important challenges.
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone–of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location and income–deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes — an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.