Industry Relations Director - Government Programs (Hybrid)
Optum, the fast-growing part of UnitedHealth Group, is a leading information and technology-enabled health services business. Our teams are dedicated to modernizing the health care system and improving the lives of people and communities.
Serving virtually every dimension of the health system, we work with a diverse set of clients across 150 countries – from those who diagnose and treat patients to those who pay for care, deliver health services, and those who supply the cures. Optum maintains operations across North America, South America, Europe, Asia Pacific and the Middle East. Our innovative partnerships provide technology and tools that enable unprecedented collaboration and efficiency. As a result, we can tap into valuable health care data to uncover insights and develop strategies for better care at lower costs.
Here at Optum, part of United Health Group we'll put you in the driver's seat on vital projects that have strategic importance to our mission of helping people lead healthier lives. Yes, we share a mission that inspires. We need your organizational talents and business discipline to help fuel ours. It's the opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
About the Role
The Director of Industry Relations is responsible for developing and managing relationships with pharmaceutical manufacturers in the context of negotiating for rebate discounts in exchange for formulary access to all UHG enterprise-wide books of business (OptumRx, UHC). This position is part of a cross functional internal team (Finance / Accounting, Clinical, Legal, Contract Specialist, Client Management) managing formulary placement strategies for over 60 therapeutic classes to the lowest net cost for UHG clients.
- The US healthcare market with respect to OptumRx pharmacy benefit design and operations
- Financial modeling analytics for rebate optimization and lowest net cost strategy assessment of pharmaceutical products
- Clinical knowledge of multiple therapeutic categories for manufacturer assignments (e.g. CV, Diabetes, Respiratory disease)
- Contract negotiation processes including the review process involving internal (Optum) legal and contract experts to lead those discussions with pharmaceutical manufacturers. This will include direct involvement in the coordination of the redlining process as well as communications and negotiations of contractual terms and conditions in tandem with internal stakeholders (Optum IR leadership, legal, clinical, contracting)
- An understanding and knowledge of established clinical guidelines determined by OptumRx P&T
- Executing formulary contract negotiations and all interactions with pharmaceutical manufacturers that are in compliance with UHG corporate policies, directives, business goals and objectives
- Contracting negotiations, strategy development and contract redlining experience
- Proven ability to work well and collaboratively, with multiple teams or departments for business growth or profitability goals
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to speak clearly and concisely, conveying complex or technical information in a manner that others can understand, as well as ability to understand and interpret complex information
- Strong interpersonal skills, establishing rapport and working well with others
- A degree in Pharmacy
- Advanced degree (MBA or PharmD)
- Experience in managed health care or pharmacy benefit management
- Experience in pharmaceutical industry context
Please note you must currently be eligible to work and remain indefinitely without any restrictions in the country to which you are making an application. Proof will be required to support your application.
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone–of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location and income–deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes — an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.