Director, Group Operations - Orange County, CA
Optum is a global organization that delivers care, aided by technology to help millions of people live healthier lives. The work you do with our team will directly improve health outcomes by connecting people with the care, pharmacy benefits, data and resources they need to feel their best. Come make an impact on the communities we serve as we help advance health equity on a global scale. Here, you will find talented peers, comprehensive benefits, a culture guided by diversity and inclusion, career growth opportunities and your life's best work.(sm)
The Director, Group Operations is accountable for overseeing the management of multiple health centers (Sites) in a designated community (Pod). Responsibilities include:
- Strategic, financial and operations management
- Strategic growth and patient retention
- Patient care coordination, patient satisfaction and clinical outcomes
- Teammate management
- Risk management, audit, and compliance
Full accountability for non-clinician teammates within assigned Pod, including but not limited to hiring, mentoring, professional development, annual review, compensation adjustment, corrective actions, and termination. Responsible for planning, coordinating, directing, and monitoring all operational and financial aspects of the Pod in conjunction with Pod Physician Lead and other clinician or non-clinician teammates. Provide effective leadership to managers, supervisors, and teammates in overseeing the delivery of quality, cost-effective patient care.
- Consistently exhibits behavior and communication skills that demonstrate Optum's commitment to superior customer service, including quality, care and concern with each and every internal and external customer
- Develops, implements, monitors, and ensures adherence to policies and procedures for Optum and its Group Model sites and pod based/regionally based programs
- Implements and manages budgets for all accountable departments, functions, and sites within the pod. Research and monitors budget variations
- Develops and executes market growth strategies for accountable sites within the pod
- Assists the Senior Director, Group Operations in the development, coordination and implementation of the regional budget, business plans and operational activities including clinician/ops review to drive clinical and financial performance
- Leads special projects and initiatives specific to the Community or across Communities
- Works closely with the Regional Accountable Team (RAT) to monitor and report metrics such as resource utilization, patient satisfaction, HCC, PFP and STAR and enacts plans to improve efficiencies and reduce expenses
- Works closely with the RAT to enhance regional provider satisfaction, productivity, and performance
- Implements plans to continually enhance services provided by accountable departments and functions
- Evaluates opportunities, makes recommendations, and oversees expansion projects within the pod and in surrounding communities
- Provides input and feedback to the RAT as it relates to initiatives and programs that promote excellence in the Group operational services and implements those that are approved
- Directs and coordinates community group operations activities within the pod
- Manages relevant hospital partnerships (including conducting JOCs) and maintains/grows specialist networks
- Works closely with central departments to ensure that issues impacting the region that involve central departments are resolved effectively and timely
- Identifies opportunities for improvement within the Group Model Sites and brings forward proposals to the RAT incorporating solutions
- Collaborates with the physician leadership of the Group Model to garner support for operational initiatives and obtains feedback on what initiatives will be most successful and works closely to implement and monitor programs
- Manages direct reports to ensure that they are meeting performance expectations, mentor, coach and counsel as necessary
- Provides guidance in professional development activities and goals
- Assists, facilitates, and leads committees, teams, and projects at the direction of the Senior Director, Group Operations
- Works to promote teamwork, collaboration, implementation of best practices across all communities within the region
- Collaborates with colleagues in other regions to improve performance and coordinates activities to ensure goals of Optum are met
- Develops, implements, and measures adherence to policies and procedures
- Uses, protects, and discloses Optum patients protected health information (PHI) only in accordance with Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) standards
- Performs additional duties as assigned
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Bachelor's degree from a 4-year college
- 5+ years of leadership experience
- 5+ years of management experience in a healthcare setting
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- Master's degree
- Experience in Medicare Advantage risk adjustment programs
- Experience leading teams to develop analytics and data analysis critical to the success of the organization
- Experience conducting root cause analysis and identifying optimum solutions
- Intermediate level of experience with Microsoft Suite
- Ability to effectively direct preparation of various financial analysis and data mining activities
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment
Careers with Optum. Our objective is to make health care simpler and more effective for everyone. With our hands at work across all aspects of health, you can play a role in creating a healthier world, one insight, one connection and one person at a time. We bring together some of the greatest minds and ideas to take health care to its fullest potential, promoting health equity and accessibility. Work with diverse, engaged and high-performing teams to help solve important challenges.
California Residents Only: The salary range for California residents is $101,200 to $184,000. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone-of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location and income-deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes - an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.