Associate Director, Patient Engagement Communications
Working with Us
Challenging. Meaningful. Life-changing. Those aren’t words that are usually associated with a job. But working at Bristol Myers Squibb is anything but usual. Here, uniquely interesting work happens every day, in every department. From optimizing a production line to the latest breakthroughs in cell therapy, this is work that transforms the lives of patients, and the careers of those who do it. You’ll get the chance to grow and thrive through opportunities uncommon in scale and scope, alongside high-achieving teams rich in diversity. Take your career farther than you thought possible.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives. Read more: careers.bms.com/working-with-usPatient Engagement Communications supports our Company mission, vision and values by engaging key audiences to directly impact the company’s culture and reputation through inspiring and motivational patient-focused engagements and storytelling content highlighting our purpose-driven culture, with patients at the center.Reporting to the Director, Patient Engagement within the Corporate Culture & Enterprise Communications/Corporate Communications department, the Associate Director, Patient Engagement Communications, is responsible for working with patient ambassadors to tell their stories for the purpose of engaging employees and enhancing BMS reputation as a company focused on patients and their health journeys. Acting as a subject matter expert, this role strategically partners across the enterprise, creates and delivers content, drives program management, manages patient relationships, and executes accordingly.To be successful, the individual must possess a passion for our patients, have a demonstrated ability to build strong relationships with key stakeholders, and a track record of thinking creatively and strategically while executing tactically. This position is based in Princeton Pike, NJ. Minimum travel required.Responsibilities:
- Support and/or lead the development of patient-focused content for both internal and external consumption by creating and curating content to support the company’s strategic employee engagement initiatives, and similarly for the external corporate marketing/reputation strategies.
- Help manage BMS signature culture/patient programs – Who are you working for? and Global Patient Week – to drive brand consistency, program management and execution, and management of patient assets/content. More specifically, for:
- Who are you working for? – feed our culture with visuals, narratives, and live patient interactions/engagements.
- Global Patient Week - global COE advising and partnering with local teams to design and deliver meaningful, engaging, and interactive experiences for our workforce.
- Build relationships and partner with Commercial and Research & Development teams, and other key stakeholders aligned to patient-focused work, to understand business priorities related to our products, milestone, and pipeline to advance patient storytelling.
- Support efforts to engage key audiences around patient-focused mission within large-scale, global corporate events and culture activities, and corporate reputation initiatives.
- Partner with key stakeholders across the enterprise to provide strategic advice and counsel on the best ways to incorporate the patient voice/stories; where relevant, assists stakeholders with engagement events that put patients in front of employees, including, but not limited to, global town halls and global functional meetings.
- Uses strategic mix of media including video and live events, to tell patient stories, partnering effectively with creative partners to create and develop content providing subject matter expertise into the production and editing process of same.
- Aligns patient storytelling with business strategies, highlighting multiple points in the patient journey within prioritizes therapeutic and disease areas. Ensures patient perspectives captured are reflective of a diverse patient population and the communities we serve, including global stories.
- Maintains patient-related toolkits within the various platforms.
- Develops and maintains relationships with patients within therapeutic areas of existing and growing portfolio; partner and help ensure their success for engagements with us managing all necessary end-to-end processes. Become expert in the critical end-to-end process necessary to engage patients, including understand patient privacy, governance, compliances, processes, etc.; this will include developing strong working relationships with the WW Patient Voice & Experience team to help ensure a successful and compliant patient experience.
- Minimum of 7 years of communications experience in pharmaceutical or similar highly regulated industry
- Bachelor’s degree in public relations, communications, or related field or experience preferred
- Experience working with global teams
- Knowledge of pharmaceutical industry and/or healthcare industry
- Ability to effectively interact with and provide counsel to senior leaders
- Ability to collaborate across matrixed organization with other teams to achieve stated goals
- Ability to influence without authority
- Superior written, verbal and interpersonal communications skills
- Excels in fast-paced, challenging environment
- Self-motivated with a strong sense of urgency
- Self-directed with proven ability to meet tight deadlines and balance multiple initiatives of importance
- Strong project management abilities with a proven record of accomplishments
- Experience with digital media and internal/external social media platforms a plus
If you come across a role that intrigues you but doesn’t perfectly line up with your resume, we encourage you to apply anyway. You could be one step away from work that will transform your life and career.
Uniquely Interesting Work, Life-changing Careers
With a single vision as inspiring as “Transforming patients’ lives through science™ ”, every BMS employee plays an integral role in work that goes far beyond ordinary. Each of us is empowered to apply our individual talents and unique perspectives in an inclusive culture, promoting diversity in clinical trials, while our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is a necessary job function of this role, which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and it enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
BMS is dedicated to ensuring that people with disabilities can perform complex functions through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, or in any part of the recruitment process, direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
BMS will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to applicable laws in your area.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.