Senior Director, Field Medical Excellence, CV/I&F
Working with Us
Challenging. Meaningful. Life-changing. Those aren’t words that are usually associated with a job. But working at Bristol Myers Squibb is anything but usual. Here, uniquely interesting work happens every day, in every department. From optimizing a production line to the latest breakthroughs in cell therapy, this is work that transforms the lives of patients, and the careers of those who do it. You’ll get the chance to grow and thrive through opportunities uncommon in scale and scope, alongside high-achieving teams rich in diversity. Take your career farther than you thought possible.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives. Read more: careers.bms.com/working-with-us
The Medical Excellence, Training, and Policy team plays a critical role in ensuring that healthcare providers are educated on the appropriate use of our medicines and have the information they need to improve outcomes for their patients. We develop strategies, tools, and guidance to empower Field Medical (FM) teams around the globe and ensure that they are aware, informed, engaged, and equipped with the knowledge and skills needed to perform their roles effectively and compliantly. The Senior Director is a strategic member within the Medical matrix organization who bridges WW FM vision with WW FM strategy and execution.
- Reports to Executive Director, Medical Excellence, Training, and Policy team.
- Leads a team of WW Field Medical Communication Leads (FMCLs) across the Cardiovascular (CV) and Immunology & Fibrosis (I&F) organizations accountable for WW Field Medical (FM) strategies, guidance, franchise resources, WW FM clinical trial support, and scientific data training for all new data disclosures.
- Partners with the Scientific Communications Training team to deliver on WW FM strategies and business needs.
- Serves as a member of the Medical Excellence, Training, and Policy leadership team & extended member of the Scientific Communications & Engagement organization.
- Responsible for synthesizing FM insights, driving strategy and execution of the CV and I&F WW FIRe process and ensuring alignment with the matrix stakeholders.
- Responsible for vision, strategy, and execution to drive FM deliverables for scientific execution for CV and I&F.
- Sets goals and objectives for team, working closely with the SCE matrix-team and WW Medical leaders.
- Manages team budget and partners internally to ensure necessary resource allocation.
- Works extensively with CV and I&F Senior Leaders across the globe (Country Medical Directors, Disease Area Heads, FM Leads, etc.) to ensure development of WW FM plans and execution of the overall Medical strategies to meet market needs.
- Presents and maintains alignment with matrix stakeholders on accomplishments, trends, and book of work.
- Identifies and drives opportunities to standardize WW FMCL goals, objectives, and tactics/activities.
- Identifies and drives opportunities to increase WW FMCL accountability and value to the organization.
- Manages the budget for defined area of responsibility.
- Represents the CV and I&F WW FMCLs through collaborations with senior leaders across the enterprise on cross-functional initiatives aimed at improving the overall efficiency, effectiveness, and simplification of the business.
- Partners across the SCE organization to obtain critical insights and enables FM teams to drive customer-focused scientific engagement.
- Collaborates strongly across Leadership team & builds credibility and represents BMS in a strong manner with external thought leaders & collaborative partners.
- Demonstrates true medical & scientific information, functional subject matter expertise, and credibility to serve as an educator to internal & external audiences.
- Demonstrates subject matter expertise in CV and I&F.
- Identifies, hires, develops, and coaches high potential employees to ensure a rich pipeline of engaged, empowered, and enriched talent.
- Creates a high performing, externally focused team which emphasizes teamwork, cooperation, personal accountability, and a commitment to quality.
- Models BMS behaviors and reinforces such behaviors at all levels in the organization.
- Provides oversight and approval of partnerships with vendors and contract support to drive optimal and flexible workforce.
Qualifications, Skills & Experience
- Advance scientific degree required. PharmD, PhD or MD preferred.
- Significant Pharmaceutical/Healthcare industry experience with a focus on medical communications.
- Experience leading and managing Field Medical teams across all phases of the drug development and commercialization process.
- Demonstrated strength in leading teams to high performance.
- Proven ability to work in an ambiguous environment and develop a function with a focus on quick deliverables.
- Experience collaborating across a matrix and multiple markets.
- Experience participating in, facilitating, and leading cross-functional, cross-cultural project teams.
- Demonstrated success in driving optimal business results in a large complex corporate environment with multiple priorities and tight timelines.
- Demonstrated ability to manage timelines and quality of work using strong organizational, communication, facilitation, and interpersonal skills in a cross-functional team.
- Proven ability to think strategically, innovate, and rapidly adapt to a changing environment.
- Entrepreneurial skill and ability to take educated risk.
- Ability to rise above technical expertise, demonstrating judgement, wisdom, and understanding of impact.
- Experience leading functions, individuals, and peers through change.
- Ability to analyze and interpret clinical data.
- English fluency
If you come across a role that intrigues you but doesn’t perfectly line up with your resume, we encourage you to apply anyway. You could be one step away from work that will transform your life and career.
Uniquely Interesting Work, Life-changing Careers
With a single vision as inspiring as “Transforming patients’ lives through science™ ”, every BMS employee plays an integral role in work that goes far beyond ordinary. Each of us is empowered to apply our individual talents and unique perspectives in an inclusive culture, promoting diversity in clinical trials, while our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is a necessary job function of this role, which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and it enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
BMS is dedicated to ensuring that people with disabilities can perform complex functions through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, or in any part of the recruitment process, direct your inquiries to email@example.com. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
BMS will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to applicable laws in your area.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.