Director, Operational Excellence, Global Supply Chain
Working with Us
Challenging. Meaningful. Life-changing. Those aren’t words that are usually associated with a job. But working at Bristol Myers Squibb is anything but usual. Here, uniquely interesting work happens every day, in every department. From optimizing a production line to the latest breakthroughs in cell therapy, this is work that transforms the lives of patients, and the careers of those who do it. You’ll get the chance to grow and thrive through opportunities uncommon in scale and scope, alongside high-achieving teams rich in diversity. Take your career farther than you thought possible.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives. Read more: careers.bms.com/working-with-us
Reporting to the Executive Director of Global Supply Chain Business Enablement, and partnered with Enterprise Operational Excellence (OpEx) and the GSC Organization, the Director OpEx for GSC leads and collaborates with supply chain functions and the greater OpEx network on developing and implementing strategies that drive a continuous Improvement culture. This position will lead the identification and execution of strategic and operational priorities across GPS (Global Product Development and Supply) in support of exceeding Safety, Quality, Delivery and Cost performance. In order to achieve this, it will be critical that this position work with leaders across Global Supply Chain to meet business objectives and build the foundations to drive continuous, sustainable, flawless execution and performance improvement. This role will require an individual who can build/implement a framework for global supply chain as well as support the business identify and improve key performance and processes.
- Apply Continuous Improvement and Lean tools to consistently improve performance, reduce waste and drive productivity across GPS sites and functions.
- Improve Safety, Quality, Delivery and Cost performance through:
- Business Process Improvement - Define, optimize and maintain end to end business processes
- Lead workshops, Kaizen, DMAIC, PDCA and Lean Six Sigma Projects
- Deployment of Governance Systems
- Deployment of Visual Management Systems
- Root cause problem solving
- Optimization of Labor, Facility, and Space Utilization
- Identification of Meaningful Metrics and Key Performance Indicators
- Continuous Improvement Education and Training
- Continuous Improvement Project Intake and Prioritization
- Build organizational capability and provide training/coaching
- Lead cross functional teams in understanding the current condition of assigned processes / systems, develop target condition, establish plans to close the gap and coach teams to successfully achieve value capture
- Driving Change Management to promote a culture and mindset of operational excellence and continuous improvement across GPS and embedding it into daily work
- Building, maintaining and leveraging relationships across the matrix to identify opportunities for process improvement and facilitate the implementation of measurement and management systems
- Coaching / mentoring of stakeholders, team members and GPS employees at all levels to support them through the adoption of lean principles and practices
- Build organizational capabilities and deploy OpEx training in support of achieving organizational priorities
Professional experience and qualifications:
- Scientific or Engineering Bachelor’s degree required
- Lean or Six Sigma experience required. Black belt certification preferred
- 10 + years’ experience in a high tech/manufacturing environment (Pharmaceutical/Med Device Industry experience preferred)
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in Operations / Operational Excellence roles applying “lean” principles
- Demonstrated proficiency in managing portfolio of projects and in leading change through others to achieve operational excellence.
- Track record of success in the rigorous planning, execution and timely delivery of enterprise level projects and programs
- Demonstrated experience in solving complex problems in manufacturing and business processes. Proven innovation & opportunity identification translated to tangible initiatives and successful value capture
- Builds relationships, able to negotiate & influence, and manage change in a global matrix environment
- Demonstrated proficiency and passion for lean methodology, tools and manufacturing process improvement
- Exceptional skills in leadership, coaching, analytical problem solving and strong business acumen
- Superior written and verbal communication, presentation and interpersonal skills
- Up to ~30% travel (domestic and International)
If you come across a role that intrigues you but doesn’t perfectly line up with your resume, we encourage you to apply anyway. You could be one step away from work that will transform your life and career.
Uniquely Interesting Work, Life-changing Careers
With a single vision as inspiring as “Transforming patients’ lives through science™ ”, every BMS employee plays an integral role in work that goes far beyond ordinary. Each of us is empowered to apply our individual talents and unique perspectives in an inclusive culture, promoting diversity in clinical trials, while our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is a necessary job function of this role, which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and it enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
BMS is dedicated to ensuring that people with disabilities can perform complex functions through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, or in any part of the recruitment process, direct your inquiries to email@example.com. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
BMS will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to applicable laws in your area.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.