Medical Assistant, MA - OBGYN - Auburn, MA
External Employees eligible for $1000 Sign on Bonus
Opportunities with Reliant Medical Group. When you join Reliant, you’ll be part of a community-based, multi-specialty, physician-led medical group. Everyone works collaboratively on a common purpose: improving the quality, cost and experience of health care. With the resources of a global health organization - Optum - behind us, we’re at the forefront of value-based care. Supported by a patient-centric business model - integrated care teams focus on the best patient care, rather than volume. Here, you’ll contribute to an exceptional patient experience. Discover a place where you can help shape the future of health care and do your life’s best work.(sm)
Positions in this function performs a variety of duties involving clinical and administrative patient care while adhering to the standards of the practice. Provide care to pediatric, adolescent, adult and geriatric patients. Assist in the examination and treatment of patients by taking and recording vital signs such as blood pressures, temperatures, height, weight, etc. Assist physician and others with simple to moderate clinical/diagnostic procedures such as urine cultures, pregnancy tests, throat cultures, etc. Prepare treatment rooms. Perform a variety of clerical functions to support office functions. Perform related duties to facilitate the efficient utilization of computer-based information.
- Opens patient areas, prepares patient schedules and patient medical records following standard procedures
- Greets patients and escorts them to the exam room. Establishes reason for patient visit and prepares patient accordingly. Provides direct and indirect care following standard procedure while identifying and recording physical findings. Verifies patient medications, performs medication reconciliation and pends refills. Collects and documents a variety of forms. Documents patient information in chart following standard procedure. Monitor and maintain patient flow. Assists in management of patient flow and access
- Performs a variety of clinical functions such as measuring temperature, pulse rates, blood pressure, orthostatic vitals, height, weight, pediatric lengths, head circumference, peak flows, pulse oximetry, etc. Performs a variety tests such as hearing, vision, etc. Documents information during patient visit in patient chart
- Performs a variety of point of care testing functions and quality control such as urinalysis, rapid strep, blood glucose, urine pregnancy, etc. Document testing in patient chart. Maintains laboratory logs following standard procedure
- Performs a variety of procedures such as applying hot/cold compress, applying/removing simple to complex wound dressings (as defined by site) under the direction of provider or licensed staff member, suture removal, staple removal, ear irrigation, DME splints / orthoglass, etc.
- Administers over-the-counter medications following standard procedures within position responsibility
- Performs spirometry, EKG, removal of urinary catheters with education and evidence of competency, etc., following standard procedures
- Administers vaccines and immunizations following standard procedures
- Provides instruction on gait training. Provides basic patient instruction under direction. Explains and gives instructions to patient for laboratory/x-ray and special procedures
- Monitors oxygen delivery / checks tank levels
- Sets up and assists with pelvic exams following standard procedures
- Performs phlebotomy and processes specimens following standard procedures. Collects and transports specimens to the laboratory following standard procedure
- Notifies patients of normal laboratory results as instructed by provider. May report abnormal laboratory results under the instruction of licensed staff member. Performs routine call backs.
- Completes prescription refills following standard procedures. Check appropriate notes, pertinent laboratory results and orders laboratory results that are required, selects appropriate pharmacy and pends correct medication, dosage, sig and number of refills before routing to appropriate provider for approval
- Performs pill count with licensed staff member
- Orders medications following standard procedures
- Autoclaves instruments and performs autoclave biological spores testing following standard procedure
- Manages in basket messages following standard procedures
- Schedules a variety of appointments such as advance visits types, interpreter service, use of VRI, laboratory testing, etc. Communicates with other sites to arrange booking needs of patients. Cancels and reschedules appointments as required. Completes prior authorizations as required or directed
- Completes telephone encounters and normal laboratory letters
- Assists in the organization of the clinical unit including stocking of exam rooms and ordering supplies
- Monitors refrigerator/freezer temperatures following standard guidelines. Reports discrepancies to manager or others
- Completes exam room check-out following standard procedures
- Supports multiple office functions such as patient check in and out, answering phone, scheduling, etc., and provides cross-coverage to clerical roles as directed
- Maintains open communication with all members of the healthcare team. Works as a member of the clinical team to provide quality, timely service to patients. Works with the team, providers and manager/supervisor to continually improve patient flow within the department
- Participates and can orchestrate daily huddle
- Identifies and reports emergency situations to nursing and providers and assists in emergency as competency will allow. Identifies and corrects abnormal conditions within scope of responsibility under the supervision of nurse or provider
- Participates in staff meetings, gives input and feedback during meetings
- Utilizes patient care equipment appropriately and safely. Incorporates the proper requirements in operating department specific equipment to provide safe patient care
- Provides care to pediatrics, adolescent, adult and geriatric patients
- Ensures adequate inventory of office supplies and printed materials. Maintains general files and supplies
- Participates in orientation and staff development activities as requested. Reviews and checks off orientation skills list and annual checklist for assigned employees
- Participates in EMR super user meetings
- Complies with health and safety requirements and with regulatory agencies such as DPH, etc.
- Complies with established departmental policies, procedures, and objectives
- Enhances professional growth and development through educational programs, seminars, etc.
- Attends a variety of meetings, conferences, and seminars as required or directed
- Performs other similar and related duties as required or directed
- Regular, reliable and predicable attendance will be required
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Successful completion of a medical assistant school / program
- Medical Assistant certification
- Successful completion of Basic Life Support (BLS-CPR) or completed within 90 days of date of hire for positions in direct patient care areas
- Knowledge of office and laboratory procedures
- Knowledge of a variety of software applications such as Microsoft Outlook, Word, etc.
- Excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential requirement of this role. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination prior to employment to ensure compliance
Unless certification, licensure or registration is required, an equivalent combination of education and experience, which provides proficiency in the areas of responsibility listed in this description, may be substituted for the above requirements.
- Physical health sufficient to meet the ergonomic standards and demands of the position
The Organization reserves the right to modify position responsibilities at any time, due to business necessity.
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies now require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles require full COVID-19 vaccination as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment.
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: Certified Medical Assistant, CMA, BLS, CPR, Basic Life Support, Laboratory, Assist, OBGYN, Auburn, MA, Massachusetts