Senior Medical Assistant WellMed at Keist Park
$1,500 Sign-on Bonus for external candidates
Incentive Bonus: Paid 2 times a year
18 days of PTO & Closed on major holidays
Do you have compassion and a passion to help others? Transforming healthcare and millions of lives as a result starts with the values you embrace and the passion you bring to achieve your life’s best work.(sm)
The Senior Medical Assistant (MA) participates in providing patient care at the appropriate skill level. They have a duty to provide a standard of care that meets or exceeds that of a reasonably competent and knowledgeable Medical Assistant. The Senior Medical Assistant assists in the training and orienting of MA staff. The expectation is 25% of time is spent on clinic specific initiatives that drive continuous process and metrics improvement in their clinic and enhance developing their leadership skills. The Senior Medical Assistant is required to perform all duties of the Medical Assistant within their scope of practice delegated by, and under the supervision of, a provider (TX) or physician (FL).
Duties include: Organizes the clinical environment and provides support in patient care situations. Support includes but is not limited to assisting physicians and nursing personnel, including those skills listed under Job Functions below along with various other procedures under the direct supervision and responsibility of a medical provider. The Sr. MA assists in identifying patient needs or problems and communicating data to the provider or other members of the clinical team. The Sr. MA delivers quality customer service. Ensures policy and procedures are followed including infection control, privacy and confidentiality.
- Performs all duties at the expert level within the scope of a Medical Assistant’s scope of practice. Operates diagnostic equipment (cannot interpret tests), remove staples from superficial wounds, changes wound dressing and obtains cultures, administers non intravenous medication performs simple specimen collection via noninvasive techniques and collects blood specimens via venipuncture or via capillary, performs EKGs. Performs quality control checks on equipment. Prepares and sterilizes medical equipment using the autoclave
- Spends 25% of time dedicated to clinic metrics/projects/initiatives as assigned by clinic leadership to support and drive workflow & process improvement within the clinic
- Records patient care documentation in the medical record accurately and in a timely manner. Identifies when other MA’s documentation is incorrect and alerts clinic leadership
- Trains and mentors other MAs, including assisting with documentation questions
- Promotes positive work environment in the clinic as a culture ambassador
- Coordinates patient care as directed by provider, and policies/procedures
- Respects patient confidentiality at all times. Ensures others are also respecting patient confidentiality
- Requires little assistance with standard and non-standard requests and solves routine problems on own
- Organizes exam and treatment rooms, stocks and cleans rooms and sterilizes instruments. Gathers supplies as per provider direction. Ensures that supplies are available, stock is inventoried, log data is accurate and supplies are rotated. Follows up with discrepancies
- Creates and maintains an environment that supports infection prevention
- Telephone and in-person screening limited to intake and gathering of information without requiring the exercise of judgment based on clinical knowledge
- Supports and follows Standard Delegation of Orders
- Promotes a positive work environment in which team members willingly serve each other
- Ensures that all MAs are aware of training they must receive to continually improve performance
- Performs all other related duties as assigned
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- High school graduate or GED equivalent
- Current BLS certification for healthcare providers (written exam and in-person assessment) at time of hire or within 30 days of hire
- 3+ years as a certified MA or a combination of 5+ years certified and non-certified medical assistant experience (with 2+ years certified)
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Mastered ICD-10 and CPT coding
- Ability to mentor others
- Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations required and assume a leadership role until higher levels of care arrive on scene
- Intermediate Excel skills
- Expert in computer literacy in electronic health record
- This position requires Tuberculosis screening as well as proof of immunity to Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Varicella, Tetanus, Diphtheria, and Pertussis through lab confirmation of immunity, documented evidence of vaccination, or a doctor's diagnosis of disease
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- 1+ years of lead or supervisory experience
- Excellent communication and customer service skills
- Flexibility and nimbleness to adapt to change
Physical & Mental Requirements:
- Ability to lift, push or pull >35 lbs. with assistance Ability to stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to use fine motor skills to operate equipment and/or machinery Ability to receive and comprehend instructions verbally and/or in writing Ability to use logical reasoning for simple and complex problem solving Occasionally requires exposure to communicable diseases or bodily fluids Ability to discriminate shades of color when reading dipstick
USMD part of OptumCare is a multi-specialty group of hospital, clinics and physicians. USMD serves the Dallas-Fort Worth metropolitan area with more than 250 physicians and associate practitioners, and provides healthcare services to patients in more than 20 different specialties at its 2 hospitals, 4 cancer treatment centers and nearly 50 physician clinics, many of which are multi-specialty.
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment
Careers with USMD. If you’re idea of a great day at work involves putting great new ideas to work, we should talk. Throughout the greater Dallas area, we’ve built an evolving, integrated health care model that brings primary care and specialist providers together to work in new and better ways. A thriving part of OptumCare and the UnitedHealth Group family of companies, our multi - specialty group of hospitals, clinics and providers features more than 250 physicians and associate practitioners. We provide health care services to patients in more than 20 different specialties at our two hospitals, four cancer treatment centers and nearly 50 physician clinics. Join us and start doing your life’s best work.(sm)
WellMed was founded in 1990 with a vision of being a physician-led company that could change the face of healthcare delivery for seniors. Through the WellMed Care Model, we specialize in helping our patients stay healthy by providing the care they need from doctors who care about them. We partner with multiple Medicare Advantage health plans in Texas and Florida and look forward to continuing growth.
**PLEASE NOTE** The Sign-On Bonus is only available to external candidates. Candidates who are currently working for a UnitedHealth Group, UnitedHealthcare or a related entity in a full time, part time, or per diem basis (“Internal Candidates”) are not eligible to receive a Sign-On Bonus.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: OptumCare is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employers and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
OptumCare is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.