Certified Medical Assistant
Optum in the tri-state region (formerly CareMount Medical, ProHEALTH New York and Riverside Medical Group) offers an interconnected network that enables us to work collaboratively to better coordinate care among our doctors and care teams. Together, we offer you and your family access to more than 2,100 providers, representing 70 specialties, working in 360 medical practices and more than 55 urgent care locations across New York, New Jersey, and Southern Connecticut. For more information, visit www.optum.com/tri.
ProHealth is one of the largest private multi-specialty medical practices in the Northeast and has been serving the health needs of Long Island and the Greater New York Metropolitan area since 1997. With over 900 providers in 300 locations, our goal is to provide quality health care to ensure that our patients get the right care at the right time.
At Optum, we are transforming healthcare nationally while providing physician-led care locally. Work with the largest care delivery organization in the world and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
CareMount Medical, P.C. is the largest independent multispecialty medical group in New York State, providing comprehensive medical care of the highest quality to over 640,000 patients in more than 45 locations throughout Westchester, Putnam, Dutchess, Columbia,and Ulster counties and New York City. Founded in 1946 as Mount Kisco Medical Group, CareMount has grown to over 600 physicians and advanced practice professionals representing more than 40 different medical specialties. CareMount is affiliated with world-class organizations including Massachusetts General Hospital, Mount Sinai Health System, and Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. CareMount offers on-site laboratory and radiology services, endoscopy and infusion suites, and operates eight urgent-care centers. Our physicians are frequently recognized as best doctors in respected publications and have been featured in lists including New York Magazine’s “Best Doctors,” Westchester and Hudson Valley Magazine’s “Top Doctors” as well as in Castle Connolly Medical’s “Top Doctors.” For additional information about CareMount Medical and its specialties, please visit: www.caremountmedical.com.
The group has always maintained a firm commitment to each of our patients...to provide high quality medical and surgical care in a warm, friendly setting, and in a caring manner. Each and every member of our professional and support staff is dedicated to this ideal - physicians, nurses, technicians and support personnel. The commitment to deliver services that revolve around our patients is central to our care practices and philosophies. Integrated care teams focus their efforts to ensure that evidence-based, patient-centered approaches are consistently implemented to maximize patient health, self-efficacy, and self-management.
Position Overview: The role of a Certified Clinical Medical Assistant is to provide care to patients/significant others via direct and/or telephone contact, following established standards and practices. S/he coordinates with other members of the care team to ensure seamless care delivery, maximal coordination of efforts, and active patient participation in planning and care. Assists physician or other provider with clinical procedures.
- Clinical Knowledge and Skills
- Demonstrates clinical competence in the direct care of patients in established area(s) of practice, and assisting MDs with procedures.
- Performs clinical duties within scope of practice complying with the accepted CareMount Medical and/or individual department standards, policies, and protocols.
- Demonstrates a proactive approach to patient care, focusing on addressing each patient’s individual and family needs at the time of service; communicates identified needs in a timely manner
- Directs and/or escorts patients to exam rooms in a timely manner
- Demonstrated clinical competence when assisting physician/mid-level healthcare professional and/or nurse during exams and office diagnostic procedures/treatments
- Performs authorized procedures competently (i.e. vital signs, vision screening, selected laboratory tests) as directed by physician or nurse in clinical practice area
- Seeks validation/guidance from physicians, mid-level healthcare professional and/or nurse when necessary
- Prepares e-prescriptions for processing to pharmacies when instructed to do so by physician per CareMount Medical policy
- Inspects, cleans/prepares and processes instruments/equipment according to manufacturers’ or
- CareMount Medical guidelines
- Processes specimens for transport to laboratory, ensuring that specimens are properly labeled and
- appropriate orders have been placed in NextGen
- Communicates professionally in all situations and across all modalities (email, telephone, and EHR)
- Demonstrates effective communication strategies reflective of the needs of all patients, including those
- from vulnerable populations
- Actively participates in the care team to ensure that patient needs and preferences are incorporated into the comprehensive plan of care
- Notifies patients and reception staff promptly of unanticipated physician//mid-level healthcare professional delays or scheduling changes
- Provides reassurance to patients who are upset and/or in need of assistance or additional information
- Answers telephone promptly and courteously and identifies self by name and department (and physician's office by physician's name, if appropriate)
- Effectively and efficiently evaluates patient phone calls and schedules same-day (work-in) appointments as per departmental or individual physician guidelines
- Facilitates patient referrals and pre-certs as needed; communicates potential for additional care coordination with outside organizations and/or providers when identified
- Seeks resource and support from physicians, other clinical staff and Patient Care Manager as necessary
- Organizational Skills
- Demonstrates ability to set priorities appropriately toward the achievement of a desired outcome
- Sets priorities effectively to ensure timely completion of assigned work
- Requests assistance as appropriate in order to complete assigned work
- Takes and leaves complete, appropriate and signed messages as needed
- Efficiently & effectively processes multiple and/or simultaneous tasks
- Notifies patients of amount of time needed to address or answer their requests or questions. Completes such requests as promptly as possible and/or notifies patient of anticipated (or unanticipated) delays
- Documents in EHR all clinical information as directed (i.e. rescriptions/immunizations/VS/treatments/allergies per CareMount Medical/department protocol)
- Team Dyanamics
- Identifies problems and offers solutions to maintain the smooth functioning of the department & patient/personnel safety
- Offers to assist others when work load permits
- Provides support to professional & non professional staff
- Is cooperative & open-minded in working in a team setting
- Serves as an effective preceptor to new staff as assigned
- Actively participates in departmental staff meetings
- Assists Patient Care Manager when possible by taking on alternate assignments or responsibilities, working additional hours,or altering regularly scheduled hours, when necessary
- Demonstrates accountability, sound judgment, & ethical behavior in all activities
- Serves as a role model for professional conduct and professional practice(e.g., maintaining composure
- during times of increased stress)
- Maintains confidentiality of all information obtained from patient records and conversations with
- patients, physicians and other CareMount Medical personnel
- Demonstrates patient advocacy
- Arrives to work on time or notifies Patient Care Manager or designee as soon as employee becomes
- aware that s/he will be absent or tardy, and/or as per individual department protocol
- Maintains an acceptable attendance record as per CareMount Medical policies and procedures
- Notifies Patient Care Manager or designee whenever leaving CareMount Medical premises during scheduled work hours
- Attends all mandatory CareMount Medical programs and in-services
- Dresses according to CareMount Medical dress code
- Assumes responsibility for reading, understanding, and complying with information contained in the current CareMount Medical Employee Handbook, CareMount Medical Clinical and/or Administrative
- Policy & Procedure Manuals, as applicable
- Maintains patient confidentiality under all circumstances, and follows all CareMount Medical policies regarding confidentiality
- Assists Patient Care Manager and/or designee, and/or other administrative personnel when possible by taking on alternate assignments or other responsibilities, working additional hours, or altering regularly scheduled hours, when necessary, for the efficient operation of CareMount Medical
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 1+ years of clinical experience in a medical office / clinic or hospital setting, or graduate of an accredited medical assistant program
- Record of prior stable employment and / or favorable references
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- Graduate of an accredited medical assistant program with 1+ years of recent experience as a medical assistant
- Current certification as a medical assistant or eligible for certification
- Certification through the CMM M.A exam course if not yet certified at time of employment
- Current CPR / BLS certification
Typical Physical Demands: Requires full range of body motion including moving and lifting patients, manual and finger dexterity and eye-hand coordination. Requires sitting and/or standing forextended periods of time. Occasionally exerts up to 100 pounds of force, such as assisting patients in arising from the exam table, pushing patients in wheelchairs, or assisting patients into/out of wheelchairs. Requires corrected vision and hearing to normal range. May require occasional lifting and carrying office supplies.
Typical Working Conditions: May require frequent exposure to communicable diseases and body fluids, toxic substances, medicinal preparations, and other substances and conditions common to amedical office environment. Requires working in close proximity to other personnel. Requires use of computer keyboard throughout the work day. May require use of autoclave for instrument sterilization. Requires working under stressful conditions and/or working irregular hours.
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment
CareMount Medical, ProHEALTH Care Associates, and Riverside Medical Group (the “Practices”) are all physician owned and led practices having complete authority for all medical decision-making and patient care through their physicians and other licensed professionals. Optum, through its management organizations (“Optum”) provides non-clinical administrative services to support the Practices and their physicians. Neither Optum nor its management companies employ, engages, or supervises physicians or other licensed professionals, or determines or sets the methods, standards, or conduct of the practice of medicine or health care provided by the Practices or by any of their licensed professionals. “Part of Optum” reflects that the Practices are part of Optum’s effort to support forward-thinking physician practices in helping their patients live healthier lives.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. CareMount is an EO employer - M/F/Veteran/Disability
Careers with Optum. Our objective is to make health care simpler and more effective for everyone. With our hands at work across all aspects of health, you can play a role in creating a healthier world, one insight, one connection and one person at a time. We bring together some of the greatest minds and ideas to take health care to its fullest potential, promoting health equity and accessibility. Work with diverse, engaged and high-performing teams to help solve important challenges.
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone–of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location and income–deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes — an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.