For those who want to invent the future of health care, here's your opportunity. We're going beyond basic care to health programs integrated across the entire continuum of care. Join us and help people live healthier lives while doing your life's best work.(sm)
Compassion is the essential trait that drives superior health care performance. But it's just a start. At OptumCare innovative thinking is just as important. Our unique team of health care providers are an emerging and important part of Optum and the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses. Our approach is designed to help physicians and other providers deliver the right care at the right time in the right setting. That takes smart ideas and incredible teamwork. And that's where you come in. In this role, you'll support a clinical team that's helping patients in new and better ways while giving them a generous helping of compassion and respect.
Performs clinical and administrative duties that assist in the delivery of effective patient care within assigned area. Greet patients; escort them to exam room and takes vitals and other MA related duties as assigned. Provide direct customer service and front desk assistance for assigned department to include but not limited to registering, telephones, scheduling and verifying insurance. Handles customer account transactions, provides customer assistance, and performs and/or oversees cashiering operations. Demonstrates knowledge of medical practice and patient care as it relates to the clinical setting and medical specialty. Adheres to policies, procedures and regulations to ensure compliance and patient safety. Participation in Compliance and other important training is a condition of employment.
- Greets patients and escorts them to exam room. Performs hand washing, weighs patients, takes vital signs and patient history, and documents chief complaint. May administer limited injections requested by a physician and supervised by a physician, registered nurse, nurse practitioner or physician assistant in accordance to established regulations, in conjunction with attending and passing Injection class
- Responds effectively to incoming patient calls and communicates pertinent information to physician or designee to provide for continuity and optimal care
- Appropriately communicates lab results, physician orders, and medication instructions to patients
- Provides direct customer service and front desk assistance for assigned department to include but not limited to registering, scheduling and verifying insurance and arriving patients. Electronic eligibility verification, updating patient demographics, ensure required referrals and prior authorization are in place for patient visit. Manage no-show list. Schedule waits list, follow-up, x-ray, referral appointments
- Prepares exam room for next patient and assures that supplies are stocked and available in anticipation of the provider’s needs. Manages medical supply inventory and cleans equipment
- Handles customer account transactions, provides customer assistance, and performs and/or oversees cashiering operations. Responsible for obtaining “expert” level knowledge of the inter-workings of various insurance plans and staying abreast of insurance plans in the process of being added, deleted or changed. Collection of co-pays, co-insurance, self-pay, fee-for-service, and payment on account
- Reconciles daily cash deposit in accordance cash balance policy and procedures. Settlement of EDC credit card machines to include reconciliation of transactions against settlement
- Maintains patients’ record/files and participates in the revenue cycle process
- Assists patients in scheduling appointments and obtains referral when necessary
- May be required to analyze medical records and charge entry information for financial reimbursement within the guidelines and procedures. Work TES charge entry edits
- Responsible for completing basic Medical Assistant competencies in addition to departmental specific competencies
- Adheres to policies, procedures and regulations to ensure patient safety and regulations. May attend departmental meetings and provide constructive recommendations for areas improvement
- Other duties as assigned
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- High school diploma or GED
- National Certified Medical Assistant (NCMA) Certification through the National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT) or active Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA) Certification through National Healthcareer Association (NHA) OR completion of a Medical Assistant program and successful completion of NCMA through NCCT or CCMA through NHA within one (1) year from date of hire
- EMT certification in lieu of Medical Certificate and must pass the National Registry exam for EMT's.
- Current BLS (Hands-on) Certification
- Experience utilizing excellent customer service skills
- Demonstrated ability to type and enter data efficiently and accurately
- Proficiency in Windows navigation and a variety of MS Office software applications
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- 1+ years of related experience
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and willingness to learn
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and work under pressure
- Demonstrated attention to detail
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment
Careers at OptumCare. We're on a mission to change the face of health care. As the largest health and wellness business in the US, we help 58 million people navigate the health care system, finance their health care needs and achieve their health and well-being goals. Fortunately, we have a team of the best and brightest minds on the planet to make it happen. Together we're creating the most innovative ideas and comprehensive strategies to help heal the health care system and create a brighter future for us all. Join us and learn why there is no better place to do your life's best work.(sm)
OptumCare is committed to creating an environment where physicians focus on what they do best: care for their patients. To do so, OptumCare provides administrative and business support services to both owned and affiliated medical practices which are part of OptumCare. Each medical practice part and their physician employees have complete authority with regards to all medical decision-making and patient care. OptumCare’s support services do not interfere with or control the practice of medicine by the medical practices or any of their physicians.
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone-of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location and income-deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes - an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: OptumCare is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employers and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
OptumCare is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.