Senior Medical Assistant
Opportunities at WellMed, part of the Optum family of businesses. We believe all patients are entitled to the highest level of medical care. Here, you will join a team who shares your passion for helping people achieve better health. With opportunities for physicians, clinical staff and non-patient-facing roles, you can make a difference with us as you discover the meaning behind Caring. Connecting. Growing together.
The Senior Medical Assistant (MA) participates in providing patient care at the appropriate skill level. They have a duty to provide a standard of care that meets or exceeds that of a reasonably competent and knowledgeable Medical Assistant. The Senior Medical Assistant assists in the training and orienting of MA staff. The expectation is 25% of time is spent on clinic specific initiatives that drive continuous process and metrics improvement in their clinic and enhance developing their leadership skills. The Senior Medical Assistant is required to perform all duties of the Medical Assistant within their scope of practice delegated by, and under the supervision of, a provider (TX) or physician (FL).
Organizes the clinical environment and provides support in patient care situations. Support includes but is not limited to assisting physicians and nursing personnel, including those skills listed under Job Functions below along with various other procedures under the direct supervision and responsibility of a medical provider. The Sr. MA assists in identifying patient needs or problems and communicating data to the provider or other members of the clinical team. The Sr. MA delivers quality customer service. Ensures policy and procedures are followed including infection control, privacy and confidentiality.
- Performs all duties at the expert level within the scope of a Medical Assistant’s scope of practice. Operates diagnostic equipment (cannot interpret tests), remove staples from superficial wounds, changes wound dressing and obtains cultures, administers non intravenous medication performs simple specimen collection via noninvasive techniques and collects blood specimens via venipuncture or via capillary, performs EKGs. Performs quality control checks on equipment. Prepares and sterilizes medical equipment using the autoclave
- Spends 25% of time dedicated to clinic metrics/projects/initiatives as assigned by clinic leadership to support and drive workflow & process improvement within the clinic
- Records patient care documentation in the medical record accurately and in a timely manner. Identifies when other MA’s documentation is incorrect and alerts clinic leadership
- Trains and mentors other MAs, including assisting with documentation questions
- Promotes positive work environment in the clinic as a culture ambassador
- Coordinates patient care as directed by provider, and policies/procedures
- Respects patient confidentiality at all times. Ensures others are also respecting patient confidentiality
- Requires little assistance with standard and non-standard requests and solves routine problems on own
- Organizes exam and treatment rooms, stocks and cleans rooms and sterilizes instruments. Gathers supplies as per provider direction. Ensures that supplies are available, stock is inventoried, log data is accurate and supplies are rotated. Follows up with discrepancies
- Creates and maintains an environment that supports infection prevention
- Telephone and in-person screening limited to intake and gathering of information without requiring the exercise of judgment based on clinical knowledge
- Supports and follows Standard Delegation of Orders
- Promotes a positive work environment in which team members willingly serve each other
- Ensures that all MAs are aware of training they must receive to continually improve performance
- Performs all other related duties as assigned
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
Excellent benefits including Monday - Friday schedule, paid holidays, PTO, health insurance, dental, vision, 401K, bonus potential and much more!
- High school graduate or GED equivalent
- Current BLS certification for healthcare providers (written exam and in-person assessment) at time of hire or within 30 days of hire
- 3+ years as a certified MA or a combination of 5+ years certified and non-certified medical assistant experience (with 2+ years certified)
- Expert in computer literacy in electronic health record
- Intermediate Excel skills
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Mastered ICD-10 and CPT coding
- 1+ year of lead or supervisory experience
- Ability to mentor others
- Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations required and assume a leadership role until higher levels of care arrive on scene
- Excellent communication and customer service skills required
- Flexibility and nimbleness to adapt to change
Physical & Mental Requirements:
- Ability to lift, push or pull >35 lbs. with assistance
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to use fine motor skills to operate equipment and/or machinery
- Ability to receive and comprehend instructions verbally and/or in writing
- Ability to use logical reasoning for simple and complex problem solving
- Occasionally requires exposure to communicable diseases or bodily fluids
- Ability to discriminate shades of color when reading dipstick
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone–of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location and income–deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes — an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.