Medical Assistant WellMed in Thonotosassa
$2,200 Sign-on bonus for External Candidates
Opportunities at WellMed, part of the Optum family of businesses. We believe all patients are entitled to the highest level of medical care. Here, you will join a team who shares your passion for helping people achieve better health. With opportunities for physicians, clinical staff and non-patient-facing roles, you can make a difference with us as you discover the meaning behind Caring. Connecting. Growing together.The Medical Assistant (MA) participates in providing patient care at the appropriate skill level. They have a duty to provide a standard of care that meets or exceeds that of a reasonably competent and knowledgeable Medical Assistant. The MA performs duties within their scope of practice delegated by, and under the supervision of a provider or physician.
Duties include organizing the clinical environment and providing support in patient care situations. Support includes but is not limited to assisting the physician and nursing personnel and includes duties listed in the job functions below along with other various other procedures under the direct supervision of the provider or other members of the clinical team. The MA delivers quality customer service, ensures policies and procedures are followed including infection control, and privacy and confidentiality.
- Performs all duties within the scope of a MA’s practice
- Operates diagnostic equipment, removes staples from superficial wounds, changes wound dressing and obtains cultures, administers non-intravenous medication, performs simple specimen collection via noninvasive techniques, collects blood specimens via venipuncture, and performs EKGs
- Performs quality control checks on equipment
- Prepares and sterilizes medical equipment using autoclave
- Rooms patients according to policy and procedures, prepares patient for examination
- Records patient care documentation in the medical record accurately and timely
- Coordinates patient care as directed by physicians, company standards, and policies
- Maintains patient confidentiality at all times and treats patients with courtesy and respect
- Organizes exam and treatment rooms, stocks and cleans rooms, and sterilizes equipment
- Practices standard infection control precautions
- Supports and follows Standard Delegation of orders (SDO)
- Performs all related duties as assigned
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- High School graduate, GED or equivalent
- Current, nationally recognized Medical Assistant certification or the ability to obtain the certification within 180 days of employment
- Current BLS certification for healthcare providers at time of hire or within 30 days of hire
- Proven knowledge of medical terminology
- Demonstrated basic computer literacy
- Proven intermediate Excel skills
- Demonstrated ability to react calmly in emergency situations
- This position requires Tuberculosis screening as well as proof of immunity to Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Varicella, Tetanus, Diphtheria, and Pertussis through lab confirmation of immunity, documented evidence of vaccination, or a doctor's diagnosis of disease
- 1+ years of experience as a Medical Assistant
- Knowledge of ICD-10 and CPT coding
- Proven solid communication skills
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone–of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location and income–deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes — an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.