PRN Respiratory Therapist PPMC
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- Primarily directed towards managing, delivering, and assessing specialized respiratory care, under a physician's order. Possesses an extensive knowledge of anatomy, physiology, and pharmacology allowing greater responsibility in performing therapeutic procedures.
- Administration of oxygen therapy with the intent of treating or preventing the symptoms and manifestations of hypoxia. Includes humidity and aerosol therapy.
- Knowledgeable administration of pharmacologically active aerosols to the airways.
- Therapeutically perform clinical assessments and therapeutic techniques associated with secretion mobilization including directed cough and deep breathing exercises, postural drainage, chest percussion and vibration.
- Responsible for the technical management and directly involved in the clinical management of the mechanically ventilated patient. Proficient in all related ventilatory and airway support procedure, including intubation skills when delegated, special therapeutic procedures, cardiopulmonary resuscitation, emergent situations and transport of intubated patients.
- Perform and assess all diagnostic techniques in respiratory care. Includes, but not limited to oximetry, end tidal CO2 monitoring, bedside and lab based pulmonary function (upon competency completion), assist with bronchoscopy procedures, monitoring vent mechanics and ABG collection.
- Demonstrates an understanding of appropriate safety and infection control techniques.
- Comply with physician orders, execute departmental MIS responsibilities and patient care documentation.
- Participate in patient/ family education.
- Adhere to established departmental and hospital policies and procedure. Perform charge responsibilities as delegated.
- Attend 85% of staff meetings and or documents 100% review of minutes.
- Attends and documents a minimum of 8 hours of educational activities departmentally and interdisciplinary.
- Participate in departmental and organizational Performance Improvement activities.
- Requires the demonstrated knowledge and skills necessary to provide care, based on physical, psycho/social, educational, safety and related criteria, appropriate to the age of the patients/customers served in his/her assigned service area. The skills and knowledge needed to provide such care may be gained through education, training or experience.
- Respects each patient’s/customer’s personal dignity, right to privacy and confidentiality.
- Takes the initiative to identify and attend to patient/customer needs.
- Demonstrate ability to organize own patient care assignment to achieve completion. Takes initiative to utilize time efficiently and to assist coworkers, when capable.
- Interacts cooperatively with physicians, nurses and other members of the patient care team to assure optimal patient care.
- Effectively able to analyze problems and take initiative to correct them or to direct to appropriate means of solution.
- Interacts with individuals with consideration of chronological issues and needs. Considers both safety and communication aspects of care.
- Respiratory Therapist (Required)
- PA State license Respiratory Therapist, credentialed with NBR as RRT, credentialed with National Board of Respiratory Care as a Registered Respiratory Therapist required.
- Basic Cardiac Life Support (Required)
- BCLS required. ACLS preferred.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor of Arts or Science
- Bachelor's Degree and 2+ years Experience in Respiratory Care preferred.
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- H.S. Diploma/GED and A graduate of or hold a certificate of completion from a JRCRTE accredited two year program in Respiratory Care required.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.