Telephonic Nurse Care Manager - Rhode Island
Are you an experienced RN Case Manager with triage, medsurg, or ambulatory care experience? Do you live in Rhode Island? If so we are looking for you to join our team!
You must reside in Rhode Island to be considered for this position.
Careers at Landmark, part of the Optum and UnitedHealth Group family of businesses. At Landmark, we work to deliver high quality, comprehensive care to chronically ill patients wherever they reside and whenever they need it. We focus on doing what’s right for the people we serve, even when it’s not easy. This is your opportunity to be part of a compassionate team that is setting out to change health care for complex, chronic patients. We’re looking for driven people like you because changing the status quo takes dedication. Here, we’ll invest in your personal and professional growth while giving you a unique opportunity to make a difference. Helping people feel their best is a rewarding part of doing your life’s best work.(sm)
The Nurse Care Manager (NCM) is an integral part of the Interdisciplinary care team (IDT) and is responsible for the overall care management process for high acuity engaged Landmark patients. The NCM has oversight for developing, managing, and coordinating patients’ plan of care to include medical and psychosocial needs and patient-centered goals. The NCM works with patients/caregivers to maintain and improve health status by providing care coordination, health education, guidance and support for medical and psychosocial complex chronic conditions. Professionals in this role elicit input from the IDT based on initial and ongoing comprehensive assessments of the patient.
The NCM uses nursing assessment, evaluation skills, data and reports to guide care planning decisions for the patient. They are skilled at navigating the patients’ health plan benefits to identify providers, resources and vendors that provide required care and services. The NCM works collaboratively with the IDT to provide appropriate, effective, high quality, and cost-effective care to engaged patients in their current residence. If a patient requires care outside their residence, the NCM collaborates with community-based service providers to ensure coordinated care during critical times of transition between health care settings and home.
In addition to the NCM, the Landmark IDT consists of the Regional Medical Director, Pod Leaders, mid-level practitioners, Health Services Director (HSD), clinical supervisors, behavioral health clinicians, social workers, pharmacists, dietitian/nutritionist, ambassadors, care coordinators, the patient and/or caregiver and family.
- Acts as an advocate for the patient
- Engages and collaborates with patient/caregiver and providers to develop an individualized Care Plan that addresses disease management, health promotion, and patient-centered goals
- Monitors patient progress against Care Plan goals with an emphasis on patient care needs during times of transition in care setting and changes in health status
- In a Delegated Case Management market, understands and adheres to regulatory timeframes and standards required by National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA)
- Provides disease management, health promotion and prevention education to patients/caregivers and/or family members to manage disease progression and encourage proper medical testing, so patient can remain as independent as possible
- Manage and coordinate care and services within an Interdisciplinary Team
- Manage incoming clinical calls to ensure patients’ medical concerns are addressed by the care team in a timely manner
- Comfortable having and documenting advance directive conversations with patient/caregiver and/or family, and collaborate to reconcile patient/caregiver goals with the current clinical status
- Coordinates care needs across the continuum of care and is the point of contact for patient/caregiver and clinicians
- Leads daily IDT Huddle
- Actively participates in Landmark meetings and education sessions
- Acts as liaison between providers, nursing facilities, hospitals, and program staff, including making recommendations about care alternatives
- Facilitates/coordinates admission to a recommended level of care on a temporary or permanent basis
- Promotes patient safety. Reviews or initiates a home safety, functional assessment, and/or falls risk assessment with home-based providers to determine need for adaptive equipment. Assists with acquisition of assistive equipment, as recommended
- Monitors patient during admissions and provides nursing/assisted living facility and provider training on Landmark program philosophy and approach to patient care
- Identifies and reports any potential quality-of-care issues to Clinical Supervisor/HSD, so a plan of improvement can be developed and implemented, as needed
- Maintains HIPAA compliance at all times
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
- Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; responds promptly to customer needs; solicits customer feedback to improve service; responds to requests for service and assistance; meets commitments
- Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on solving conflict; maintains confidentiality; listens to others; keeps emotions under control and overcomes resistance when necessary; remains open to new ideas
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and seeks clarification; responds openly to questions. Must be able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events
- Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time; ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; arrives at meetings and appointments on time
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; takes responsibility for own actions; keeps commitments; commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan
- Initiative - Volunteers readily; undertakes self-development activities; seeks increased responsibilities; takes independent actions and calculated risks; looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; asks for and offers help when needed; generates suggestions for improving work and workflow
What are the reasons to consider working for UnitedHealth Group? Put it all together - competitive base pay, a full and comprehensive benefit program, performance rewards, and a management team who demonstrates their commitment to your success. Some of our offerings include:
- Paid Time Off which you start to accrue with your first pay period plus 8 Paid Holidays
- Medical Plan options along with participation in a Health Spending Account or a Health Saving account
- Dental, Vision, Life& AD&D Insurance along with Short-term disability and Long-Term Disability coverage
- 401(k) Savings Plan, Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Education Reimbursement
- Employee Discounts
- Employee Assistance Program
- Employee Referral Bonus Program
- Voluntary Benefits (pet insurance, legal insurance, LTC Insurance, etc.)
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Associate's Degree or higher in Nursing
- Current, unrestricted RN license in the state of Rhode Island
- 2+ years of experience in clinical practice in a hospital, home care, hospice, clinic, or nursing home setting
- 1+ years of experience with patient-centered Care Plan creation and active management, Case Management
- 1+ years of experience with Electronic Medical Record documentation experience
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- Disease state management experience with strong ability to educate patients on health and wellness
- Soft Skills:
- Advanced interpersonal and telephonic communication skills
- Ability to complete all work independently and within designated timeframes
- Adaptable, flexible, and able to maintain a positive attitude during change in process, practice, or policy
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.