Cost Accounting Manager
Working with Us
Challenging. Meaningful. Life-changing. Those aren’t words that are usually associated with a job. But working at Bristol Myers Squibb is anything but usual. Here, uniquely interesting work happens every day, in every department. From optimizing a production line to the latest breakthroughs in cell therapy, this is work that transforms the lives of patients, and the careers of those who do it. You’ll get the chance to grow and thrive through opportunities uncommon in scale and scope, alongside high-achieving teams rich in diversity. Take your career farther than you thought possible.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives. Read more: careers.bms.com/working-with-us
Purpose of the function
This role performs cost accounting and financial planning activities for the Cell Therapy and Biologics manufacturing facility located in Devens, MA. This includes supporting preparation of budgets and forecasts, proper costing of products and inventories and timely completion of monthly financial closing and management reporting.
Monthly accounting and reporting
- Prepare month end journal entries and complete account reconciliations of general ledger accounts in compliance internal controls
- Perform monthly Cost of Goods Sold (COGS) analysis including weekly review of manufacturing orders.
- Preparation of month-end reporting package and analysis as well as reporting of key variance drivers to local operations management.
- Analyze conversion costs including material and overhead and assist in tracking of period cost expenses against targets and forecasts.
- Prepare analysis of inventory accounts including preparation of inventory reserves and write-off analysis.
Budget preparation, Forecasts and Financial Analysis
- Support preparation of financial budgets and forecasts for plant level operations including Manufacturing, Quality, Facilities, and MS&T.
- Participate in the standard cost setting process for cell therapy products including manufacturing recipes, BOM’s, routings and updating system with new standards and budget period expenses
- Develop annual labor & overhead rates to fully absorb the production-related expenses
- Assist in various management reports and analysis required by budgeting and forecasting process.
- Support the plant's cycle counting and physical inventory programs ensuring a high standard of inventory control.
- Provide financial support for investment decision making on new technologies, capital purchases, operational efficiency projects, and other special requests.
- Prepares and maintains Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) documentation for cost accounting functions.
- Satisfy internal and external audit requests as necessary.
- Recommends and implements improvements to current processes, where appropriate.
- BA or BS in Finance / Accounting. MBA and/or CPA strongly preferred.
- Three-Five years of accounting/financial experience with at least 1-2 years of relevant manufacturing finance experience. Specific pharmaceutical manufacturing experience is not required.
- Exceptional analytical skills with ability to understand the bigger picture (i.e. impacts across the business, etc.)
- Team player able to interact with all levels and work on projects in a cross-functional team environment as well as interfacing effectively with global counterparts
- Excellent communication skills, both verbally and in writing; ability to clearly explain financial information to a variety of audiences
- Highly motivated self-starter with a willingness to assume responsibility, take ownership for their work and intelligently challenge the status quo
- Tier one ERP experience necessary with preference on SAP.
- Exceptional systems skills required including financial modeling in Excel, business intelligence tools, and budgeting and financial reporting applications.
If you come across a role that intrigues you but doesn’t perfectly line up with your resume, we encourage you to apply anyway. You could be one step away from work that will transform your life and career.
Uniquely Interesting Work, Life-changing Careers
With a single vision as inspiring as “Transforming patients’ lives through science™ ”, every BMS employee plays an integral role in work that goes far beyond ordinary. Each of us is empowered to apply our individual talents and unique perspectives in an inclusive culture, promoting diversity in clinical trials, while our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is a necessary job function of this role, which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and it enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
BMS is dedicated to ensuring that people with disabilities can perform complex functions through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, or in any part of the recruitment process, direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
BMS will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to applicable laws in your area.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.