Nurse Manager - Surgical ICU at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (Pavillion)
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
Assumes 24 hour accountability for the operation of the designated patient care unit (s). This includes the provision of leadership to improve patient care, enhance professional development and achieve nursing goals.
• Recruitment of competent staff to meet operational needs (“scope of service” “products & services”) and who
demonstrate the ability to be service orientation and align with the core values
• On-Boarding- proper orientation of staff to their roles, accountabilities, and performance measures within probationary
• Regularly meets with employees to improve communication and to build productive relationships.
• Continuously communicates to staff the importance of patient satisfaction, quality of care, and sound financial
performance; and champions our successes and priorities for improving performance in meeting and exceeding patient and customer expectations.
• Works with UPHS leadership, clinical leadership, and Entity leadership in developing programs, services and initiatives to anticipate future customer needs, build customer loyalty and generate profitable growth.
Establish/update processes and work practices for the unit/department:
• Manage and eliminate process workarounds by appropriately and consistently sharing with organizational partners the issues, which require their attention.
Manage team and individual performance in alignment with the UPHS vision of service excellence:
• Drive patient/client loyalty and physician referral by ensuring staff under your supervision understand the UPHS
commitment to service, their own work processes, and have the necessary skills to meet service expectations.
• Focus energies on collaborating in problem resolution rather than finding blame.
• Proactively develops change management strategy for major organizational activities and events
• Implements change management strategy within Nursing and UPHS in alignment with UPHS objectives.
• Identifies and facilitates agreement of major messages which are consistent regardless of audience, credible and reflects UPHS’ core values
• Talent management plan in place for current and future staff
• Succession plan in place for critical positions
• Employee retention strategy in place
• Employee survey implementation and action planning
• Develop understanding of Revenue & Reimbursement in HealthCare
• Develop budget for individual AU/Dept based on assumptions and decisions made by UPHS and Dept Leaders
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor of Science Nursing (Required)
- BSN and 5+ years Progressive nursing experience required with demonstrated leadership and management skills required.
- Master of Science Nursing
- A Master's Degree or currently matriculated in a master's level program preferably Nursing (MSN) Required.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.