Nurse Operating Room OR
Additional Information About the Role
- Options are 5-8's or 4-10's
- Experience Preferred
- Bonus Eligible
- Relocation Assistance
- Comprehensive Benefits
Barnes-Jewish St. Peters Hospital proudly serves the health care needs of families in St. Charles, Lincoln and Warren counties. The 102-bed community hospital provides comprehensive inpatient and outpatient services including the Siteman Cancer Center at Barnes-Jewish St. Peters Hospital, the Breast Health and Women’s Center, the Cardiology Center, the Neurosurgery Center and the Outpatient Surgery and Endoscopy Center.
Barnes-Jewish St. Peters Hospital is an Accredited Chest Pain Center and carries a Level II stroke certification. Additionally, the hospital’s medical office building houses offices for specialists in primary care, cardiology, obstetrics, dermatology, surgery and pulmonology. Barnes-Jewish St. Peters Hospital also offers outpatient services including physical therapy, a sleep lab, and cardio-pulmonary rehabilitation.
At Barnes-Jewish St. Peters Hospital, every decision is made in the best interest of patients and families. Both inpatient and outpatient surgical units perform a variety of complex procedures including: Orthopedic, Breast Surgery, Brachytherapy, Gynecology and Urogynecology , Laparoscopy, Single Port Laparoscopic Procedure, Ear, Nose and Throat, Urology, Oral Maxillofacial, Ophthalmology, Vascular, Plastic Surgery, General Surgery, Gastrointestinal, Colorectal Surgery, THD (Transanal Hemorrhoidal Dearterialization), Thoracic, & Podiatry
Provides direct patient care activities including assessment, diagnosis, planning, implementation, and evaluation within guidelines for standards of nursing care to inpatients and outpatients in the perioperative environment established by AORN.
- Educates patients and their families about the communication process during the procedure, what to expect, and any support resources, as appropriate. Serves as liaison between physician and the patient and family.
- Demonstrates competence and independent practice in roles of scrubbing and/or circulating for all HSO-defined surgical services.
- Uses established safety techniques in preparing for and assisting with surgical procedures; provides and sets up necessary instruments, supplies and equipment for different types of surgeries or procedures according to established safety requirements and preferences of physician.
- Keeps patients safe from adverse events associated with surgery/procedure, including but not limited to: infection, burns, pressure ulcers, wrong site surgery, etc. Has knowledge of wound stage classifications. Observes patient during procedure to detect possible complications and/or breaks in sterile technique; furnishes emergency equipment and supplies to prevent adverse outcomes. Preserves and labels operative specimens for analysis.
- Participates in activities that promote safety, quality and regulatory compliance. Participates in professional development and life long learning. May participate in orientation and preceptorship of new staff, as needed.
- Nursing Diploma/Associate's
- 2-5 years
Licenses & Certifications
- Bachelor's Degree
Licenses & Certifications
- Cert Nurse OR (CNOR)
- Mastery Test Out
- Periop 101
Benefits and Legal Statement
BJC Total Rewards
At BJC we’re committed to providing you and your family with benefits and resources to help you manage your physical, emotional, social and financial well-being.
- Comprehensive medical, dental, vison, life insurance, and legal services available first day of the month after hire date
- Disability insurance* paid for by BJC
- Pension Plan*/403(b) Plan funded by BJC
- 401(k) plan with BJC match
- Tuition Assistance available on first day
- BJC Institute for Learning and Development
- Health Care and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time Off benefit combines vacation, sick days, holidays and personal time
- Adoption assistance
To learn more, go to www.bjctotalrewards.com/Benefits
*Not all benefits apply to all jobs
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this position. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Equal Opportunity Employer