Complex Care and Geriatric Nurse Practitioner Fellowship - Multiple Locations, Southwest Region
*$5,000 Sign On Bonus and $5,000 Completion Bonus*
**UnitedHealth Group is not able to offer visa sponsorship now or in the future for this position**
UnitedHealth Group is a health care and well-being company that’s dedicated to improving the health outcomes of millions around the world. We are comprised of two distinct and complementary businesses, UnitedHealthcare and Optum, working to build a better health system for all. Here, your contributions matter as they will help transform health care for years to come. Make an impact with a diverse team that shares your passion for helping others and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
We're fast becoming the nation's largest employer of Nurse Practitioners; offering a superior professional environment and incredible opportunities to make a difference in the lives of patients. This growth is not only a testament to our model's success but the efforts, care, and commitment of our Nurse Practitioners.
Our Complex Adult and Geriatric Fellowship Program is a joint venture between Optum, a UnitedHealth Group Company, and the George Washington University School of Nursing. This innovative twelve-month (12) fellowship experience will equip you with the skills to think critically and practice confidently in managing complex adults and geriatrics across care settings. During their first year in the post-graduate fellowship program, fellows will take advanced nursing courses through George Washington University (GWU) School of Nursing paid for by Optum.
While completing your advanced nursing courses at GWU, this Fellowship Program consists of placement opportunities through two of our different business entities, Optum HouseCalls and Optum Institutional Special Needs Plans (ISNP).
HouseCalls: Serving millions of Medicare and Medicaid patients, Optum is the nation’s largest health and wellness business and a vibrant, growing member of the UnitedHealth Group family. We’re also the career home for Nurse Practitioners who bring compassion and passion, energy and focus to their work every day. As a Home Visit Nurse Practitioner with Optum, you’ll provide primary care home visits for patients in collaboration with the physician of record and patient care team. This is a Field Position with 75% travel.
ISNP: In this role, you will provide primary care to patients in long term care settings; coordinate with their PCP and facility staff to deliver high quality care on-site. This is a flexible, autonomous role that creates enormous satisfaction for the NP as you impact the care and comfort of our aging population. You’ll be building meaningful relationships with the residents and their families and the health care providers who are responsible for their care. You will provide preventative and primary care for patients in assigned skilled nursing facilities and assisted living communities.
- Obtain and review medical history, conduct physical and psychosocial assessments, analyze and diagnose conditions and develop appropriate plan of care
- Identify gaps in care, interpret diagnostic test and reports and refer appropriately
- Identify risk factors and help mitigate barriers to access care and reduce risk
- Develop interventions to assist members in attaining established goals of care
- Evaluate member’s progress in completion of goals of care and re-assess and assist in care management with members
- Serves as a key resource on complex and/or critical issues
- Solves complex problems and develops innovative solutions
- Establishes and maintains communication and a trusting relationship with the member, family/authorized representative and primary caregiver and specialists
- Discuss medical options / interventions with members/families to promote understanding and assist them in making informed decisions
- Clarify member's cultural values that may impact health management / decisions
- Identify prognosis/trajectory of chronic disease that may impact future member health decisions and conduct advanced care planning discussions
- Successfully complete both didactic and clinical content
Fellowship Program Requirements:
- Ability to complete didactic work after normal business hours in a virtual classroom environment in addition to completion of independent assignments
- Must pass all courses in accordance with the George Washington University standards
- Commit a total of three years to Optum, including the fellowship year
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Currently in final year of obtaining a Nurse Practitioner degree from an accredited college/university or obtained degree within the last 18 months; degree must be obtained prior to start of employment
- Current, unrestricted NP license in the state of assignment or the ability to obtain prior to start of employment
- Nurse Practitioner national certification as ANCC or AANP required or the ability to obtain prior to start of employment
- DEA License or the ability to obtain prior to start of employment (dependent on role)
- Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) certification
- Reside in the region hired
- Meet the George Washington University’s admissions criteria
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- Experience working in home health or in home setting
- Experience working with complex patient populations including multiple chronic diseases with diverse psychosocial backgrounds
- Knowledge in Geriatric or adult medicine specialty
- Basic knowledge of computers and cell phones
- Understanding of Medicare, Medicaid and Health Plan benefit structures beneficial
- Bi-lingual or multi-lingual
- Comfortable working independently in a home-visit setting
- Effectively communicate with elderly and chronically ill patients and families
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to multi-task and manage schedule
- Excellent collaboration skills and ability to communicate with care team and physicians
- Access to reliable transportation that will enable you to travel to client and/or patient sites within a designated area
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment
Careers with UnitedHealth Group. Discover rewarding opportunities as we help people live healthier lives and help make the health system work better for everyone. Join a team of people who are talented, compassionate and driven. We will support you with the global outreach, resources and inclusive culture we’re proud to foster as a Fortune 5 company. We encourage you to grow as we offer a world of rewards and benefits for performance.
**PLEASE NOTE** The Sign On Bonus is only available to external candidates. Candidates who are currently working for a UnitedHealth Group, UnitedHealthcare or a related entity in a full time, part time, or per diem basis (“Internal Candidates”) are not eligible to receive a Sign On Bonus.
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone–of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location and income–deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes - an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.