Student Nurse Externship – Summer 2023 at Memorial Hospital - Belleville/Shiloh
Additional Information About the Role
Are you looking for an opportunity to advance your knowledge and clinical skills? Memorial Hospital – Belleville/Shiloh is seeking motivated and enthusiastic nursing students for our Student Nurse Externship Program.
Our program will foster the development of your clinical nursing skills and reinforce your future success in a long-term career in the nursing field. We are committed to providing an excellent learning environment and immersive experience as a professional acute care nurse.
We provide an extraordinary practice environment affording many learning opportunities and experiences for students. Externs in our program are paired with a dedicated nurse preceptor to assist in direct patient care activities and learn clinical reasoning skills essential to providing quality care.
- Must be enrolled in an accredited nursing program
- Graduation date of Fall 2023, Spring 2024, or Summer 2024
- Completion of 1 to 2 semesters of clinical experience prior to May 2023
- Cumulative GPA of 2.5 verifiable through unofficial school transcripts
- Valid CPR/BLS Certification throughout program participation dates
- Completion of application packet within deadline requirements (including a Statement of Purpose and professional/educational reference verification)
- 4-week paid program
- Program Start: May 22, 2023
- Program End: June 17, 2023
- Application Packet Deadline: April 17, 2023
- Part or Full-Time (24 – 36 hours/week)
- Hours vary (Day/Night/Holiday)
- Parking and scrubs provided
Memorial Hospital Belleville is an acute care hospital offering medical and surgical services plus critical and emergency care including Children’s at Memorial for pediatric emergency care. It provides patients a full complement of diagnostic and treatment services as well as heart and vascular care. Memorial, offering medical and surgical services plus critical care, is an accredited Chest Pain Center with PCI by the Society of Cardiovascular Patient Care and is designated as an Acute Stroke Ready Hospital by the Illinois Department of Public Health. In addition, Memorial Belleville recently was accredited by the American College of Radiology as a designated Lung Cancer Screening Center. Since 2008, it has been designated as a Magnet®-recognized organization for nursing excellence by the American Nurses Credentialing Center.
Memorial Hospital Shiloh, a 94-bed, all-private suite hospital was recognized with Magnet status in 2018 and provides emergency care, labor & delivery, nursery, medical and surgical services plus critical care.
The Float Pool is a team of Staff Nurses, LPNs, PCTs/ERTs, Unit Secretaries and Monitor Technicians who are flexible and versatile while supporting various areas within the hospital.
Provides direct patient care under the direction and supervision of a RN mentor. Assists mentor with developing, implementing and evaluating plan of care.
- Utilizes nursing process to plan, direct and provide safe nursing care working under the supervision of assigned mentor.
- Develops a collaborative plan of care based on patient assessment.
- Interprets data and implements appropriate interventions.
- Follows specific standards of care and policies relative to area assigned. Identifies patient and family education needs and works with mentor to coordinate appropriate educational resources.
- Participates in educational activities related to extern program including unit specific educational information.
- High School Diploma or GED
- No Experience
- No Experience
- Associate's Degree
Benefits and Legal Statement
BJC Total Rewards
At BJC we’re committed to providing you and your family with benefits and resources to help you manage your physical, emotional, social and financial well-being.
- Comprehensive medical, dental, vison, life insurance, and legal services available first day of the month after hire date
- Disability insurance* paid for by BJC
- Pension Plan*/403(b) Plan funded by BJC
- 401(k) plan with BJC match
- Tuition Assistance available on first day
- BJC Institute for Learning and Development
- Health Care and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time Off benefit combines vacation, sick days, holidays and personal time
- Adoption assistance
To learn more, go to www.bjctotalrewards.com/Benefits
*Not all benefits apply to all jobs
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this position. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Equal Opportunity Employer