Field RN - Urgent Home Visits - Greenville, Myrtle Beach, or Columbia, SC
$5,000 Sign-On Bonus for External Candidates
Optum Home & Community Care, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, is creating something new in health care. We are uniting industry-leading solutions to build an integrated care model that holistically addresses an individual’s physical, mental and social needs – helping patients access and navigate care anytime and anywhere.
As a team member of our Landmark product, we help bring home-based medical care to complex, chronic patients. This life-changing work helps give older adults more days at home.
We’re connecting care to create a seamless health journey for patients across care settings. Join our team, it’s your chance to improve the lives of millions while doing your life’s best work.(sm)
This role primarily provides medical care and management to patients served by the Homebased Medical Care program who request urgent visits to the IDT team. This position also participates in new patient engagement facilitation, post-discharge visits, and other visits as needed for gathering information as part of the IDT. Dedicated to improving the health and well-being of patients, this position collaborates with the patient’s longitudinal provider and/or the PCP as needed to discuss immediate and ongoing patient care needs.
- Practices in accordance with the respective state laws and regulations governing the practice of registered nurses
- Responds to urgent / unscheduled patient needs with the purpose of assessing acuity of illness and preventing hospitalization through interventions delivered in the home when medically indicated and desired by patient
- During the visit, promptly communicates with the longitudinal provider and/or pod leader to discuss patient assessment and receive/document/implement orders received
- Comfortable with basic procedures of nursing care, including IV placement, blood draws, injections, foley catheters, nasal packing, wound care, etc. Performed per the supervising HbMC provider’s direction, in all cases
- Completes the required documentation in a timely manner (goal: during or immediately after the visit) allowing the care team access to the care provided and a note to be generated for co- signature
- Competency in care for core chronic disease condition of internal medicine and their respective exacerbations (e.g. COPD, Heart Failure, Diabetes, Kidney Disease, Wounds, Infections, etc)
- Communicates to and participates in discussions with the on-call and other team patients regarding urgent call matters that may require close patient follow-up or alteration of the care plan
- Completes follow-up and post-hospital assessments according to documented standard operating procedures
- Implements appropriate diagnostics and completes interventions received via verbal order from providers as appropriate, to avoid unnecessary acute admissions
- Works with the medical leadership to develop quality improvement programs and provides feedback regarding needed equipment and training to ensure maximum value to the RN Urgentivist position
- Educates patients and/or their caregivers in disease processes and ways to manage them effectively
- Keeps current on relevant medical and nursing research, technology, and related issues by attending continuing education courses, professional meetings and journal reviews
- Perform related duties as necessary and other duties as assigned
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Completion of Registered Nurse accredited program
- RN State Licensure
- Access to reliable transportation required; if you are driving a vehicle, you must comply with all the terms of the Optum Motor Vehicle Safety policy
- Experience in home health, geriatrics, ICU/ED, urgent care and palliative care
- 2+ years of clinical experience
- Knowledge of inpatient, skilled nursing, community resources and cost-effective alternatives regarding patient care delivery systems
- Knowledge of clinical standards of care, awareness about CMS guidelines, and Medicare contracts and benefit systems
Careers with Optum. Our objective is to make health care simpler and more effective for everyone. With our hands at work across all aspects of health, you can play a role in creating a healthier world, one insight, one connection and one person at a time. We bring together some of the greatest minds and ideas to take health care to its fullest potential, promoting health equity and accessibility. Work with diverse, engaged and high-performing teams to help solve important challenges.
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone-of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location and income-deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes - an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.