Reg Respiratory Therapist I - Penn Presbyterian
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- A Respiratory Therapist Level 1 (RT1) is a member of the healthcare team who provides expertise in managing patients of all ages who have respiratory disease or acute conditions impacting their ability to breath. The RT1 provides respiratory care to patients in the general, critical care and emergency room environments. The RT1 position is an entry level position for new graduates of a respiratory care program or those who are licensed and hold the Certified Respiratory Therapist (CRT) credential but have not obtained the Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) credential.
- Perform physical assessment of a patient’s pulmonary status and make recommendations for appropriate respiratory careAdminister oxygen via various standard delivery devices as well as specialized heated high flow devices and a hyperbaric chamberAdminister aerosolized medications via nebulizer, MDI, DPI or other devicesAdminister prescribed inhaled nitric oxide or aerosolized prostacyclinEvaluate and maintain artificial airways of various sizesSet up, adjust, maintain, and clean various types and brands of mechanical ventilatorsPerform advanced procedures on patients with severe hypoxemia including prone positioning, lung recruitment maneuvers and moreSet up, adjust, maintain, and clean various types and brands of non-invasive BiPAP & CPAP devicesTransport critically ill patients on respiratory modalitiesRespond to hospital emergencies including rapid response, code call, etc..Utilize approved RT protocolsPerform ABG & other diagnostic tests to evaluate the extent of disease or effectiveness of treatmentPerform EKG testing, phlebotomy, IV insertion and other non-traditional roles and/or responsibilities based on department and/or location needDocument patient care activities and enter charges in current electronic data systemComplete annual competencies and continuing education as determined by hospital policy, credential and state licensing requirements.Maintain active RT credential(s) and PA state RT license
- Respiratory Therapist (Required)
- Basic Cardiac Life Support (Required)
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (Required)
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Associate of Arts or Science (Required)
- And minimum 500 clinical hours in RT program Education Specialization: AS/AAS in Respiratory Care
- Other (Required)
- Education Specialization: Graduate of Committee on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC) accredited Respiratory Care program.
- Bachelor of Arts or Science
- Education Specialization:
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.