Nurse Practitioner - Medical Oncology - Las Vegas, NV
Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that is improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation is not about another gadget; it is about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There is no room for error. If you are looking for a better place to use your passion and your desire to drive change, this is the place to be. It's an opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Optum Medical Partners is seeking an accomplished Oncology Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant for our Hematology & Oncology division located in Las Vegas, NV. This is an outstanding opportunity for a provider who wants to remain clinically active while helping to shape the future of cancer care in Southern Nevada.
The Oncology Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant will function as a healthcare provider, who with physician oversight, will work in collaboration with a broad multidisciplinary health team. He/she will be responsible for providing comprehensive care in a primarily outpatient setting, demonstrating a high degree of clinical expertise working with patients with acute and chronic illnesses, both hematologic and oncologic. He/she will be responsible for assessment, understanding of diagnosis, treatment, co-management, education, health promotion and care coordination for patients and families with acute and chronic health needs. The ideal Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant candidate will demonstrate an advanced level of medical/nursing clinical knowledge, will be proficient in communication, both with patients and families and within the practice and thrive in a setting based upon interdisciplinary collaboration, professionalism and system-based practice.
The Oncology Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant will provide care within his/her scope of practice as outlined by applicable state laws, licensing, regulations, institutional policy and practice agreements.
- Treating and managing patients with hematology and oncology diseases according to standard, usual and acceptable or customary methods and techniques in the outpatient and inpatient settings
- Clinical Knowledge
- Demonstrates knowledge of etiologies, risk factors, pathophysiology, presentation and epidemiology of medical conditions
- Performs history and physical assessments of patients that are accurate, complete, concise, and appropriate for age, gender and clinical problem
- Orders appropriate diagnostic studies and correctly interprets the results
- Utilizes critical thinking to synthesize and analyze collected data
- Develops, implements, evaluates and adjusts the plan of care as needed
- Co-manages general medical and surgical conditions based on knowledge of the indications, contraindications, side effects, interactions and adverse reactions of pharmacologic agents and other relevant treatment modalities
- Counsels and educates patients and families
- Maintains accurate, complete, concise and timely documentation in the electronic medical record
- Patient Care
- Provides care that is patient and family centered, compassionate, appropriate and effective for the promotion of health, prevention of illness and treatment of disease throughout the lifespan
- Facilitates consistent, coordinated care and clear communication among all members of the healthcare team
- Incorporates the patient and family in care planning and treatment across settings
- Practice Based Learning and Clinical Improvement
- Demonstrates insight into own strengths, limitations and knowledge deficits
- Demonstrates initiative to meet identified learning needs using multiple resources
- Actively participates in self-evaluation by seeking and utilizing guidance and constructive feedback in a professional manner
- Continuously seeks opportunities for clinical advancement and knowledge and skill attainment
- Knowledgeable of research opportunities to advance the care and treatment of patients with cancer
- Communication and Interdisciplinary Collaboration
- Communicates and collaborates effectively with physicians, other health professionals and health related agencies
- Works effectively with multidisciplinary team members
- Provides understanding of diagnosis, treatment, therapy and management of patients according to current standards of care utilizing best practice recommendations
- Follows ethical principles regarding patient confidentiality, informed consent and unanticipated adverse outcomes
- Demonstrates the highest level of accountability for professional practice
- Maintains effectiveness throughout changing circumstances. Is flexible, resilient and change oriented
- Participates in organizational and departmental meetings, educational opportunities, committees and workgroups as necessary
- Systems Based Practice
- Considers cost effectiveness and risk/benefit analysis when making decisions about patient care
- Uses evidenced-based medicine to systematically analyze and improve patient care practices
- Participates in quality initiative/performance activities
- Participates in development, evaluates and implements standards of care within area of specialization (policies, protocols, etc.)
- Roles and responsibilities specific to area of clinical practice: Outpatient Specific Responsibilities
- Conduct comprehensive or episodic health history and physical assessment of Hematology/Oncology patients with acute, chronic and/or potential health problems
- Establish understanding of medical diagnoses
- Oversee supportive care needs
- Write specific orders within the limits of the practice agreement/scope of practice
- Provide appropriate direction to clinic staff regarding patient care issues
- Co-manage outpatient clinical practice and coverage for collaborating physicians
- Maintain clinical documentation according to group practice
- Educates patients and families on treatment plans, wellness care, and survivorship plans
- Provide outpatient urgent call coverage
- Inpatient Specific Responsibilities
- Conducts comprehensive health history and physical assessment as part of initial inpatient consult
- Participates in rounding and collaborates with attending or consulting team in order to adjust plans of care
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- APRN or PA-C licensure in Nevada, or ability to obtain prior to employment
- National Nurse Practitioner certification through AANC or AANP or Physician Assistant certification through NCCPA or ability to obtain prior to employment
- DEA or ability to obtain prior to employment
- 1+ years of oncology experience or in lieu of 2+ years of Primary Care experience or 3+ years of RN Oncology experience
- Basic, technical computer proficiency
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- Advanced Oncology Certified Nurse Practitioner (AOCNP®) or willing to obtain this certification when eligible
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment.
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Nevada Residents Only: The salary range for Nevada residents is $90,500 to $161,600. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.