Forensic Peer Support Specialist
$3,000 SIGN ON BONUS FOR EXTERNAL APPLICANTS
Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that's improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There's no room for error. Join us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
The Forensic Peer Support Specialist are Certified Peer Specialists who utilize their own history of criminal justice system involvement and mental health recovery to deliver services related to behavioral health and criminal justice system involvement. In addition to supporting recovery, Forensic Peer Support Specialist can help their clients to reduce recidivism and help with reentry into the community. Forensic Peer Specialist, you must have personal lived experience as a former or current user of mental health services and be comfortable with self-disclosure as needed as well as lived experience with the criminal justice system and behavioral health..
Location: Miami, Florida
Schedule: Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 am to 6:00 pm EST, an 8 hour shift to be determined by your hiring manager. No nights, weekends, or holidays.
- Assist individuals to negotiate and minimize continuing criminal sanctions as they make progress in recovery and meet criminal obligations.
- Provide individual and/or group training/support in independent living skills, creation of healthful lifestyles, and support in areas such as self-care, holistic wellness and community awareness.
- Attend and contribute to supervision meetings with independent Living and Miami-Dade County Dept of Mental Health as assigned.
- Attend related meetings and training as scheduled.
- Proactively engage people at risk of arrest and/or Police involvement with high-risk needs who have a mental health-related disability i.e.: housing, continuity of follow-up care, Medication, and lack of a support system. Provide highly individualized, flexible, demand-responsive, intensive peer support and timely intervention during periods when individuals with psychiatric disabilities are experiencing increased vulnerability and are at greatest risk.
- Build relationships with Police Departments staff. Work with a multidisciplinary team of law enforcement officers and MRT to provide direct services and Peer Support.
- Responsibilities include: 1) reaching out to, and engaging individuals with significant psychiatric disabilities; 2) connecting service recipients with network provider agencies; 3) maintaining linkages with community partners and other county resources in relation to education, housing, health care, recreation, and socialization; 4) Develop expert knowledge of referral sources for potential training and employment opportunities including public agencies and private employers; 5) restructuring resources as necessary to ensure continuing personal stability and individual satisfaction.
- Provide mental health peer counseling as needed.
- Other duties as assigned or as required by the needs of the position.
- Support the creation and assist with the implementation of a comprehensive Training and Education program with peers, families, Providers and staff.
- Establish and maintain strong collaborative relationships with existing Consumer and Family organizations, so members of those organizations become actively involved with Optum/Health Plan activities.
- Communicate Plan information to consumers and Consumer-operated organizations and with families and family organizations. In addition to communicating, a wide array of other topics including Clinical policies, analysis of data and Program evaluation.
- Identify and outreach to community and leaders of ethnic minority groups to identify and develop programs that are both culturally competent and also use recovery and resiliency.
- As directed, serve as a designated member of Internal subcommittees.
- Participate in Optum and Health Plan Quality Review processes.
- Enable us to communicate effectively with consumers and their families about all aspects of the Mental Healthcare Delivery system as well as their rights and responsibilities.
- As requested, provide support to consumer or family members in making needed appointments.
- Work with the Clinical Program Managers and the Clinical team to implement intensive, enhanced care coordination when requested, which may include peer support as well as other community-based services designed to stabilize the consumer’s condition, including working with the consumer in the development of a WRAP plan and a Crisis plan.
- Be available to provide direct support to consumers being discharged from 24-hour care or to refer them to a support group.
- Assist and support consumers and family members with Grievance processes.
- Collaborate with Care Managers, Providers, and Community agencies and organizations to facilitate access to and transition between services.
- Collaborate with Care Managers, providers, and community agencies and organizations to identify consumers who may benefit from peer support.
- Respond to concerns and questions from consumers and families.
- Participate in Treatment planning with consumers and families who request that support..
- Work with community agencies along with and/or on behalf of consumers and families.
- Provide feedback about Treatment planning development based on their interactions with other consumers and families.
- Advocate on behalf of the consumers and families.
- Provide peer support to consumers and family members at critical points in their treatment process.
- Serve as liaison between Optum, the Health Plan and those who use service
What are the reasons to consider working for UnitedHealth Group? Put it all together – competitive base pay, a full and comprehensive benefit program, performance rewards, and a management team who demonstrates their commitment to your success. Some of our offerings include:
- Paid Time Off which you start to accrue with your first pay period plus 8 Paid Holidays
- Medical Plan options along with participation in a Health Spending Account or a Health Saving account
- Dental, Vision, Life& AD&D Insurance along with Short-term disability and Long-Term Disability coverage
- 401(k) Savings Plan, Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Education Reimbursement
- Employee Discounts
- Employee Assistance Program
- Employee Referral Bonus Program
- Voluntary Benefits (pet insurance, legal insurance, LTC Insurance, etc.)
- More information can be downloaded at: http://uhg.hr/uhgbenefits
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- High School Diploma or GED (or Higher) or 4 plus years case management experience
- 1 plus year of working knowledge of community resources
- 1 plus year experience with the Medicaid population
- 1 plus year of experience demonstrated understanding of the principles of recovery and resiliency and lived experience
- Possess active/current Certified Peer Recovery Specialist or Certified Peer Support Specialist) certification in the state of Florida.
- One plus year of experience working in the criminal justice field
- One plus year of knowledge navigating the criminal justice system.
- Ability to travel 75% of the time within 60 miles of territory assigned and Reliable transportation, with a current and non-restricted state of Florida Driver’s License and State-required insurance
- Intermediate level of proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook) and be able to access multiple web applications
- Access to a designated quiet workspace in your home (separated from non-workspace areas) and is able to secure Protected Health Information (PHI)
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- Associates degree or higher
- Completion of Stanford Chronic Disease Self-Management Program
- Completion of Whole Health Action Management Training
- Ability to facilitate training events
- Spanish speaking preferred
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
**PLEASE NOTE** The sign-on bonus is only available to external candidates. Candidates who are currently working for UnitedHealth Group, UnitedHealthcare or a related entity in a full time, part time or per diem basis ("Internal Candidates") are not eligible to receive a sign on bonus.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.