Analyst I, QC Microbiology
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
Purpose and Scope of Position:
The Analyst I, QC Microbiology, is responsible for routine and non-routine microbiological testing and environmental monitoring in support of sterile product manufacturing. The Analyst I is also responsible for peer review, training, supporting document management, projects, CAPAs and investigations in accordance with the organization’s policies, procedures, and state, federal and local laws and ensure compliance with current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP), USP, EP, JP and other regulatory requirements at all times.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Basic proficiency in MS Word, Outlook, and Excel programs as well as PowerPoint, Project and Visio.
• Basic hands on experience with various microbiological testing techniques, environmental monitoring techniques and scientific knowledge.
• Basic knowledge of electronic laboratory management systems.
• Strong attention to detail.
• Basic organizational skills.
• Basic understanding of relevant scientific and technical principles.
• Capable of participating in departmental teams.
• Intermediate knowledge of cGMP, USP, EP, FDA/PDA, OSHA and other regulatory guidance documents as relates to microbiological testing and environmental monitoring.
• Intermediate written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to gown and maintain a sterile work environment.
• Ability to accurately and completely understand and follow SOP, test method and cGMP requirements; uses good judgement and follows procedures.
• Intermediate GMP documentation skills.
• Knowledge of laboratory safety practices.
• Ability to pair with mentors for guidance as well as to collaborate with peers on day-to-day tasks; cooperative and works well with a team.
• Willingness to learn and share knowledge.
• Communicates effectively with peers, management and cross-functionally across the site.
• Basic knowledge of laboratory and aseptic processes.
• Ability to work under moderate supervision.
• Basic critical reasoning and decision-making skills for solving routine problems and assigned priorities.
• Ability to pass an initial full physical with annual monitoring.
• Ability to deal appropriately with regulatory agencies during regulatory and non-regulatory inspections.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Performs routine laboratory and EM activities.
• Prepares schedules and sample labels.
• Performs tests such as (but not limited to) bioburden, BET, sterility, Growth Promotion, incoming media/reagent QC, BI testing.
• Operates laboratory equipment used to provide sterile and depyrogenated materials.
• Read EM and testing plates and assess against alert and action levels as appropriate.
• Performs microbial isolation techniques, Gram stains and supports microbial identification process.
• Performs environmental monitoring activities in support of manufacturing.
• Collects utility samples for analysis.
• Maintain qualification status on aseptic gowning, sterility testing, BET, etc.
• Demonstrates aseptic technique when performing a Microbiological Test or EM.
• Perform testing/monitoring activities associated with protocols or special projects as required.
• Executes scheduled testing and monitoring activities within the QC lab and manufacturing facility.
• Communicates appropriately with peers and Laboratory Management regarding scheduled duties.
• Uses tracking tools as appropriate (EM batch release, sample trackers, etc.)
• Administrative tasks. • Communicate effectively with management regarding more complex issues. Perform peer review of testing data.
• Review all data in accordance with applicable procedures and cGMP requirements.
• Apply technical knowledge and abilities to ensure all testing is performed in a compliant matter.
• Complete all review in accordance with required timelines.
• Communicate effectively with peers, and demonstrate teamwork, with regards to results of review and corrections required. Participate in departmental training initiatives.
• Document training per procedural and cGMP requirements.
• Assist other analysts in troubleshooting microbiology methods, EM techniques and scientific equipment.
• Actively seeks out opportunities to learn from others within and outside the department.
• Assist in training other analysts, freely sharing knowledge and experience.
• Executes best practices in the laboratory Support document revision, project, CAPA and investigation/deviation tasks.
• Perform assigned tasks within a CAPA, deviation or project.
• Participate in projects and continuous improvement efforts.
• Draft and review technical documents, such as SOPs and protocols.
• Communicate effectively with management regarding task completion, roadblocks and needs.
• Prepares written QC Microbiology trend reports.
• Performs general laboratory duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
• High School diploma or equivalent required.
• Bachelor’s Degree, particularly in Microbiology or Science related field, preferred.
• 1 year’s relevant work experience required, preferably in a manufacturing environment with cGMP requirement.
• An equivalent combination of education / experience may substitute.
• The incumbent will be required to wear uniform/ PPE to work in a manufacturing, warehouse, or laboratory environment.
• The incumbent may be fully gowned for extended periods of time within a restrictive movement environment. This may include standing, bending, reaching, kneeling, etc.
• The incumbent will have to perform work in a controlled environment with strict glove and gown requirements.
• The incumbent will be required to maintain a safety alertness due to work around hazardous equipment and cytotoxic product.
• This position requires regular medical surveillance and may require incumbent to wear a respirator or gown.
• The incumbent must be able to distinguish colors and possess correctable vision to 20/20; annual eye exam is required.
• The incumbent may analyze data and work with spreadsheets and graphs on a daily basis.
• The incumbent may be working in a laboratory or manufacturing setting up to 6 hours per day.
• The incumbent must be able to lift/carry NMT 25 lbs.
*This is a 3rd shift, Sun- Thurs 10pm -630am position
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to email@example.com. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
BMS will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to applicable laws in your area.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.