Histotechnologist or Histotechnician - Surgical Pathology Lab
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (HUP) is seeking a Histotechnologist or Histotechnician (Full Time / Day Shift) to join the team! $10,000 Sign-on and Retention Bonus for Histotechnologists!
- The Histotechnologist/Histotechnician is employed in a clinical laboratory setting and is responsible for the performance of procedures according to established and approved protocols, which require the exercise of independent judgment and interpretation. The Histotechnologist performs procedures in routine histotechnology, special stains, as well as instrument maintenance and quality control standards. Gross tissue dissection is performed under the supervision of the Medical Director.
- Performs a variety of technical procedures that result in the creation of microscopic slide preparations. These technical procedures include: Specimen Collection/Triage, Gross Tissue Description and Dissection, Routine Tissue Processing, Decalcification, Tissue Embedding, Microtomy Techniques, Routine and Special Staining, Frozen Section Techniques, Special Specimen Preparation (EM, IF, IH, etc)
- Responsible for evaluating, preparing and maintaining these procedures in order to ensure timely and consistent work output in the laboratory as well as investigating and performing research, development and evaluation of new procedures. Operates and maintains instrumentation. Evaluates and recommends new instrumentation selection. Maintains the records and documentation required to manage the daily workflow.
- Recognizes and recommends areas for Quality Improvement monitors. Assists the supervisor in managing these records, preparing reports and modifying procedures as necessary. Demonstrates the interpersonal skills required to successfully perform as a team leader in a constantly changing environment. May assume a management role that includes orientation, training and evaluation of new employees.
- Maintains confidentiality regarding all phases of laboratory work and findings. Responsible for maintaining adequate staffing on all three shifts, weekends and holidays.
- Maintenance of the necessary documentation for procedures that are required to insure the quality and continuity of laboratory work such as records containing specimen information and records documenting instrumentation performance. Interpretation of and assistance in the development of policy and procedure manuals.
- Maintains inventory and supplies in laboratory. Utilization of basic computer applications for data entry, record keeping, and reporting. Ability to communicate effectively. Ability to adapt to a changing work environment by organizing and prioritizing time and resources in order to produce the most effective work performance.
- Ability to assess and develop work tasks and systems in order to optimize lab performance. Responsible for maintaining adequate staffing on all three shifts, weekends and holidays.
- HTL Certification by a minimum standards exam such as the Board of Certification HTL (ASCP) equivalent or eligible to take such an exam (Preferred)
- Candidates holding current certification will be hired as a Histotechnologist II or Histotechnician II
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Histotechnologist: Bachelor's Degree in Histotechnology or other biological or chemical science (Required) or U.S. equivalent (substantiated by foreign credential evaluation statement) OR Qualified to perform high-complexity testing per the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Act.
- Histotechnician: Associate's Degree in Histotechnology or other biological or chemical science (Required) or U.S. equivalent (substantiated by foreign credential evaluation statement) OR Qualified to perform high-complexity testing per the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Act.
- Prior experience with Laboratory Information Systems/Penn Chart (Preferred)
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.