Lead Tech Product Owner - OptumServe - Telecommute
Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that is improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation is not about another gadget; it is about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There is no room for error. If you are looking for a better place to use your passion and your desire to drive change, this is the place to be. It's an opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
The statements listed below are not intended to be all inclusive of the duties and responsibilities of the position. Based on leadership decisions and business needs, “all other duties as assigned” will be expected for each position.
The technology product management organization designs, develops, and manages activities for a specific product or group of products, from product definition and planning through production, release, and end-of-life. It is responsible for management of the full product lifecycle with a technical focus, including the strategy, design, development, management, and end-of-life of new, existing, or acquired products.
The organization leverages market insights and emerging technology developments and trends to understand market/customer needs, as well as identify new opportunities or make adjustments to current product offerings. Team members balance deep subject matter expertise with knowledge of business use cases and strong technical aptitude.
The organization is accountable for delivering product performance in alignment with expectations and updates changes to a product portfolio to improve competitive position and produce optimal product performance to meet customer and market needs. It is accountable to the OptumServe business line P&L owners and is responsible for cross-functional stakeholder management, including (but not limited to) design, engineering, scrum teams, and business leaders.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- 3 or more key tech capabilities tied lines of business customers
- Specializes in their customer-centric area and acts as product owner in relation to the teams for that area
- Works with product manager and business to obtain voice of customer (VOC) and identify capabilities to add to the product
- Defines and provides direction for user experience and user interface; creates user documentation
- Creates and communicates the value proposition for features in the backlog
- Possesses an in-depth understanding of lean product management best practices and frameworks
- Understands capabilities across the portfolio/product line and across customer deliverables between product lines
- Partners appropriately to support dependencies and minimize overlapping work
- Ensures high-level roadmap alignment across portfolio areas where required; effectively looks ‘up and out’ to influence multiportfolio capabilities and their dependencies; enables on-time delivery via manageable features/stories coordinated across teams
- Negotiates win-win solutions across teams and lines of business
- Communicates effectively with all senior stakeholders (up to Senior Leadership); clearly communicates strategic portfolio direction
- Ensures user stories/features are directly tied to OKRs
- Drives the budget at scrum team/product level
- Speaks credibly to both business and technology partners across teams and levels
- Understands the infrastructure/technology/flow of product/system components and how they integrate
- Influences the prioritization of the product backlog and their respective area
- Evaluates technical alternatives and decomposes significantly complex problems into straightforward technical propositions
- Fluent in key product management development tools and platforms
- Great Coach to form great teams and great products
- Thinks strategically with the ability to offer ideas that will facilitate product maturity
- Diffuses conflict by driving consensus based on the greater good of the product
- Anticipates leadership/stakeholder needs and proactively addresses gaps
- Effectively influences multiple areas within tech and business for the good of the product and contributes to product level decisions
- Effectively supports other product areas and positively influences outcomes across complex capabilities/initiatives; coaches others on areas of expertise
- Effectively leads meetings with senior leadership and anticipates leadership/stakeholder needs; proactively addresses gaps
- Consistently maintains a growth mindset; builds network and cultivates relationships with a variety of individuals inside and outside of the organization
- Advocates position and has tenacity to drive to objectives; serves as an influential voice for product management strategies
- Manages complex requirements and refines capabilities based on business goals and market needs
As a requirement of UnitedHealth Group's contract with the Department of Defense, this position requires U.S. citizenship and proof of favorable adjudication following submission of Department of Defense eQuip Form SF86 (PDF), (the National Agency Check Legal and Credit or NACLC). Successful completion of the NACLC process is a requirement for continued employment in this role.
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- HS Diploma or GED equivalent
- 3+ years of experience in product ownership or product leadership roles
- 3+ years of experience developing and maintaining product or capability roadmaps
- 3+ years of experience in internal or external customer engagement and managing customer expectations and feedback
- 3+ years of experience creating or calculating savings for cost benefit analyses
- 2+ years of experience working in an agile or scaled agile development environment
- 2+ years of experience managing matrixed product teams
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent experience
- MBA completed or actively pursuing
- Certified Scrum Product Owner
- LESS certification
- Experience with application development and software integrations
- Experience managing relationship NPS surveying, scoring, and analysis
- Experience managing direct reports or leading $1M+ enterprise-level programs
- Experience in Healthcare
- Experience working with state or federal government clients including the bidding and implementation process
- Demonstrated ability to achieve goals in a matrix environment
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and influence others without direct authority
- Familiarity with software development concepts and comfortable reading and interpreting technical documentation and working with developers, solution architects, and other technical staff
- Ability to present complex ideas in a clear, concise fashion to technical and non-technical audiences
- Ability to represent 'the voice of the customer' in technical discussions with architecture and engineering
- Solid research and problem solving skills
- Ability to use quantitative and qualitative data to assess priorities and influence roadmaps
- Ability to use straightforward, structured communication when connecting with stakeholders
- Excellent presentation skills and experience presenting to large groups
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $97,300 to $176,900. The salary range for Connecticut / Nevada residents is $97,300 to $176,900. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.