Advanced Patient Care Tech - APCT - Monaca, PA
***$5000 SIGN-ON BONUS TO EXTERNAL HIRES***
Careers with MedExpress. At MedExpress, we believe in delivering quality, convenient, affordable health care and exceeding our patients’ expectations. Our neighborhood medical centers are open every day from 8-8 with a full medical team and no appointments necessary to help patients get in, get healthy, and get back to what’s really important. We provide a broad scope of services including urgent care, basic wellness and prevention, and employer health services. As part of the Optum and UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, we’re working together to help people live healthier lives and to help the health system work better for everyone. You can become part of our elite team almost anywhere with 250 welm centers across the country and two administrative offices in Morgantown, WV and Pittsburgh, PA. Join us and start doing your life’s best work.(sm)
The Advanced Patient Care Tech (APCT) is responsible for ensuring the well-being of patients and for providing a positive, supportive environment while working in conjunction with physicians, advanced practice clinicians, front office, and clinical staff. The successful APCT will have sound clinical, strong communication skills, leads by example, and is dedicated to customer service and patient care.
- Position in this function has a contagious and positive work ethic, inspires others, and models the behaviors of Genuine, Caring, and Friendly
- Demonstrates effective verbal and written communication that is clear, well-organized, and demonstrates an understanding of audience needs
- Utilizes genuine and positive communication to make each customer feel informed, understood, and special
- An effective team member who contributes valuable ideas and feedback and can be counted on to meet commitments
- Position in this function is able to keep up in the MedExpress environment by facing tasks and challenges with energy and passion
- Pursue activities with focus and drive, defines work in terms of success, and can be counted on to complete goals
- Adherence to standards of business conduct and compliance
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Successful completion of a basic arrhythmia course
- Certified Paramedic (EMT-P) or Advanced EMT (AEMT) with at least one year of experience targeting 3+ years of experience
- Experience with point of care testing
- Ability to perform venipuncture and lab specimen collections
- Knowledge of applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations including the requirements of the HIPAA and OSHA and applicable state rules and regulations pertinent to medical practices
- Exercise tact and diplomacy in dealing with sensitive, complex and confidential patient issues and situations
- Knowledge of computerized information systems (EMR) used in clinical management settings
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists the practitioner with examinations, procedures, and other duties. Responsible for screening and accurate detailed clinical intake of patients and updating medical records
- Perform medical treatment as ordered by provider or established MedExpress standing orders
- Prepare and assist licensed medical provider with dispensing prescribed medications (in States where applicable)
- Performs blood glucose, weights, vital signs, specimen collections, point of care testing, phlebotomy, 12 lead EKG, simple dressing, straight catheter, IV insertion or IV catheter removal, simple dressing orthopedic devices, such as preformed splints
- At the direction of the medical provider must have the ability to prepare and administer all prescribed medications including, but not limited to, IV medications and fluid administration, IM, SQ, PO, and intradermal medication administration per MedExpress guidelines
- Complete detailed and comprehensive data collection upon clinical intake, including appropriate evaluation of chief complaint, medication Hx, PMH, allergies, social Hx, etc.
- Assists the provider with examinations, procedures, and other duties
- Oversee and coordinate the daily patient care flow, assisting and participating in all aspects of patient care for all patients within the center
- Assist patients as needed with walking, transfer, specimen collection, exam preparation, etc.
- Complete occupational health testing including such services as urine drug screens, breath alcohol testing, hair testing and physicals
- Apply the use of logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, and approaches to problems
- Ensure the well-being of patients and for providing a positive, supportive environment for patients and other staff.
- Complete patient referrals daily
- Assist the provider with calling patients and informing them of normal lab and imaging results reviewed by the provider
- Proper, concise, and complete EMR documentation and/or paper-based documentation for all assessments and procedures
- Comply with and follow policies and procedures as outlined by MedExpress
- Always maintains HIPAA compliance
- Other duties as assigned such as new models of care and new types of procedures, etc. Learning and Ongoing Education:
- Obtain and maintain certification to perform DOT UDS, BAT, hair testing, and other occupational health services as assigned, and support clinical staff as they also meet their obligation to maintain certification and provide services
- Maintain clinical skills and competency for all procedures and participate in training and mentoring of other clinical staff members
- Completes clinical competency evaluation/review as determined by leadership
- Maintain technical skills and apply new knowledge to position according to MedExpress policy
- Maintain knowledge of Medical Terminology and standards of nursing care
- Maintain knowledge of common safety hazards and precautions to establish a safe work environment
- Read and keep up-to-date on all ME Communications
- Complete all assigned training
Center Readiness and Maintenance:
- Assist in maintaining all quality control, clinic inspection, and machine maintenance on a daily basis and report any and all discrepancies appropriately
- Manage inventory of supplies; restock exam/procedure rooms
- Comply with requirements of appropriate regulatory agencies (i.e. OSHA, CLIA and Department of Health)
- Maintain and comply with all MedExpress, Optum and Urgent Care Accreditation site assessment requirements
- Maintain clinical supplies and equipment and ensure proper storage of biohazards
- Prepare patient rooms, set up instruments and equipment according to protocol
- Clean exam/procedure rooms, instruments, and equipment between patient visits to maintain infection control
- Clean according to scheduled maintenance program and keeping appropriate records
- Work collaboratively with Area Clinical Leadership to complete administrative assignments, as time allows and knowledge base supports, such as chart audits, supply inventory, quality assurance assessment, etc
Other duties as deemed necessary and required as position evolves.
Center-Based. Requires working in a clinical setting, the ability to stand and sit for hours at a time, (with some bending and stooping), ability to use manual dexterity in relation to clinical requirements, and ability to lift 50 lbs. The noise level is moderate and there is a potential for exposure to infectious diseases and blood-borne pathogens.
Our teams utilize a collaborative working model to build connections across our centers and communities. The primary center for this position is Monaca, PA, though you may also operate in other local work sites on an as needed basis.
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
OptumCare is committed to creating an environment where physicians focus on what they do best: care for their patients. To do so, OptumCare provides administrative and business support services to both its owned and affiliated medical practices which are part of OptumCare. Each medical practice part and their physician employees have complete authority with regards to all medical decision-making and patient care. OptumCare’s support services do not interfere with or control the practice of medicine provided by the medical practices of any of their physicians.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: OptumCare and its affiliated medical practices are Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employers and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
OptumCare and its affiliated medical practices is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Proof of immunity to vaccine-preventable diseases is an employment requirement.