Working with Us
Challenging. Meaningful. Life-changing. Those aren’t words that are usually associated with a job. But working at Bristol Myers Squibb is anything but usual. Here, uniquely interesting work happens every day, in every department. From optimizing a production line to the latest breakthroughs in cell therapy, this is work that transforms the lives of patients, and the careers of those who do it. You’ll get the chance to grow and thrive through opportunities uncommon in scale and scope, alongside high-achieving teams rich in diversity. Take your career farther than you thought possible.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives. Read more: careers.bms.com/working-with-us
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
As a Tech Lead, you are responsible for the technical direction of a product team and are an active contributor to the Application Engineering team. This includes working with peers, solution architects, product owners, scrum masters, and IT business partners. Being a technical player coach, you work with developers and QA to achieve the IT BP goals. You will lead our developers to evangelize the architectural vision, strategy, standards, and principles, to make sure the technical needs of the product are prioritized and achieved. You will ensure that best practices are being used by the development team, conduct code reviews, and design meetings. You will be working in a cutting-edge environment that runs in the cloud.
Who Are You?
- Enthusiastic about developing the best software available and providing the ultimate customer experience.
- An advocate for continuous improvement of our software development process and shortening cycle times for software releases.
- Lifelong learner with boundless curiosity about current market and technology trends, able to adapt accordingly.
- Enables team to make the right choices, in alignment with our technology direction, to promote scalable and secure solutions.
- Focuses on the high-level goals and design of a project or direction and how it aligns to the overall vision.
- Able to work in a collaborative environment with a willingness to share your ideas with team members and to reach out to other teams and the Solution Architects to help pressure-test ideas.
- Able to work independently on modules and complete tasks with high quality, but unafraid to seek out suggestions from other team members.
- Able to lead a team of developers in an agile environment to build systems that enable our scientist to be more productive.
- Nimble and responsive to the needs of team.
- Excited to work on cutting-edge technology.
- Passionate about mentoring and coaching developers.
- Fantastic communicator both verbal and written.
- Lead development team through the application or component design, coding and testing by fully implementing the high level design provided by the solution architect team.
- Drive project requests, enhancements to completion by leading a development team comprised of developers junior to senior, offshore contractors, QA
- Design and implement product features in collaboration with product managers, solution architects and stakeholder.
- Design reusable components, frameworks, web applications and libraries or micro-services
- Present architectural diagrams and get the buy in from customer Expert level knowledge on multiple AWS services
- Consult on projects providing best practice support to help realize the requirements with a micro service approach.
- Speak and prepare oral and written communication clearly and effectively, fostering open communication, listen to others, and deliver presentations.
- Designs and supports mission-critical, high-availability architectures with a focus on implementing in the cloud.
- Take ownership of the implementation of individual software components, with high emphasis on quality, test-driven development, and sound software engineering practices.
- Leads team of developers to realize and implement the high level design from Solution Architecture.
- Responsible for the overall implementation and design at the code level.
- Deliver high quality architecture solutions for large multi-generational programs spanning one or more business domains to support organizational missions
- Expert level developer either C# or java
- Software development experience in Python or Nodejs.
- Good understanding of design patterns and how to apply them
- Hands-on experience with web services, APIs, and REST.
- Experience working with Angular or React build tools
- Experience in Scrum
- Demonstrate an understanding of core AWS services, uses, and basic AWS architecture best practices
- Demonstrate proficiency in developing, deploying, and debugging cloud-based applications using AWS
- Proficiency in developing, deploying, and debugging cloud-based applications using AWS
- Ability to use the AWS service APIs, AWS CLI, and SDKs to write applications
- Understanding of application lifecycle management
- Ability to apply a basic understanding of cloud-native applications to write code
- Ability to author, maintain, and debug code modules on AWS
- Proficiency writing code for serverless applications
- Communicates with impact (written and verbal) and can influence decisions across LOB and technology
- Basic understanding of testing tools and unit and integration test scripting, and testing methodologies.
- Software design and development experience in modern programming languages, in addition to Java/.NET and with at least one dynamic language Python
Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or related field or equivalent experience
- Ability to express complex application and infrastructure architectures in both visual and written formats to both technical and non-technical audiences
- 5+ years of experience leading a team of software developers to successful completion of a medium to large application.
- Has skills to develop and evangelize on reference architecture and run principles to help teams adopt Engineering Principles from the start (poison pill, active/active/active, auto-scaling, self-healing, others)
- Understands use cases for advanced design patterns (e.g., service-to-worker, MVC, API gateway, intercepting filter, dependency injection, lazy loading, all from gang of four) to implement efficient code
- Understands SOLID and can describe it in detail
- Has skills to engage engineers across technology organization to promote standard software patterns and reuse of common libraries and services
- Has experience in leading and coaching teams to perform software planning and estimation for large scale complex programs
- Has skills to drive trade-off discussions to set right development capacity based on value drivers (e.g., regulatory, security, new business, market parity, technical debt)
- Has an expert understanding of DevOps best practices to guide developers and abstract application development from underlying hosting platforms and infrastructure
- Performance engineering experience to ensure applications are built to scale, run, and perform for varying demands
If you come across a role that intrigues you but doesn’t perfectly line up with your resume, we encourage you to apply anyway. You could be one step away from work that will transform your life and career.
Uniquely Interesting Work, Life-changing Careers
With a single vision as inspiring as “Transforming patients’ lives through science™ ”, every BMS employee plays an integral role in work that goes far beyond ordinary. Each of us is empowered to apply our individual talents and unique perspectives in an inclusive culture, promoting diversity in clinical trials, while our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is a necessary job function of this role, which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and it enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
BMS is dedicated to ensuring that people with disabilities can perform complex functions through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, or in any part of the recruitment process, direct your inquiries to email@example.com. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
BMS will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to applicable laws in your area.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.