Sterile Processing Tech II
This is a Master Requisition being used for Linkedin.com and Indeed.com.
The sterile processing position assembles and processes instrument sets, trays, supplies, and linen, and prioritizes trays and tasks according to the surgery schedule. You will also be responsible for the process before the assembly stage as well. This is called the Decontamination Process.
This process will require you to transport, sort, soak, and wash very bloody instrumentation that may be contaminated with harmful microbial life. The objective of decontamination is to protect the preparation and package workers who come in contact with medical devices after the decontamination process from contracting diseases caused by microorganisms on those devices. This is a very critical, behind-the-scene process that must occur for the safety of the patients.
- Multiple Shift are available
- Some Weekend, Holiday, and On Call are required
This particular sterile processing master requistion requires either a CRCST or CBSPDT certification.
BJC HealthCare is one of the largest nonprofit health care organizations in the United States, delivering services to residents primarily in the greater St. Louis, southern Illinois and southeast Missouri regions. With net revenues of $5.5 billion and more than 30,000 employees, BJC serves patients and their families in urban, suburban and rural communities through its 15 hospitals and multiple community health locations. Services include inpatient and outpatient care, primary care, community health and wellness, workplace health, home health, community mental health, rehabilitation, long-term care and hospice.
BJC is the largest provider of charity care, unreimbursed care and community benefits in the state of Missouri. BJC and its hospitals and health service organizations provide $785.9 million annually in community benefit. That includes $410.6 million in charity care and other financial assistance to patients to ensure medical care regardless of their ability to pay. In addition, BJC provides additional community benefits through commitments to research, emergency preparedness, regional health care safety net services, health literacy, community outreach and community health programs and regional economic development.
BJC’s patients have access to the latest advances in medical science and technology through a formal affiliation between Barnes-Jewish Hospital and St. Louis Children’s Hospital with the renowned Washington University School of Medicine, which consistently ranks among the top medical schools in the country.
Function as a team member in the operating room to support medical and nursing staff during the pre, intra, and postoperative phase, including preparing equipment and supplies for use by the medical team, cleaning and sterilizing equipment and reusable supplies, assembling case carts/trays and performing direct patient care as needed. Certified instrument processor. Works as high functioning member of a team supporting clinics, procedural areas and over 65 operating rooms. Works with complex tray configurations for variety of services including ophthalmology, neurosurgery, ENT, trauma, transplant, cardiac, orthopedic, labor and delivery, fetal surgery, general surgery, minimally invasive and robotic cases and supports level 1 trauma center.
- Utilizes and troubleshoots steam sterilizers. Works with operating room management system to build case carts (instrumentation as well as consumable supplies) for just-in-time delivery to the procedural areas or operating room and promptly notifies lead or supervisor of priority needs.
- Follows proper techniques and procedures to ensure the integrity of the sterilization process. Troubleshoots steam and low temperature sterilizer malfunctions. Notifies engineering for repairs as needed. Cleans, inspects, disinfects and sterilizes a variety of complex surgical instrumentation, implants and power equipment in a 24/7 fast paced environment.
- Disassembles, decontaminates, and processes instrumentation according to manufacturer and industry standards. Scans and documents set contents and completion for all trays per protocols and procedures with the use of the instrument tracking system. Ensures that the sets are free of bio-burden, functions properly and reassembled correctly ensuring the correct number of instruments are in the set. Provides cleaning and sterilization support for research related and IRB approved instrumentation. Performs all decontamination and high level disinfection (HLD) for flexible endoscopes and supports over 1000 process monthly.
- Transports patients with any necessary materials and documents to treat or diagnose. Transports these case carts to appropriate areas of the hospital assuring that cross contamination does not occur while transporting.
- Assembles and processes instruments sets, trays, supplies and linen; prioritizes trays and tasks according to the surgery schedule. Disassembles, cleans, inspects, tests functionality and assembles instrumentation and power equipment according to the instructions for use and industry standards for the operating rooms including ophthalmology, neurosurgery, ENT, trauma, transplant, cardiac, orthopedic labor and delivery, fetal surgery, general surgery, minimally invasive and robotic cases. They also support the level 1 trauma ED, clinics and other procedural areas of the Hospital. Provides cleaning and sterilization support for research related and IRB approved instrumentation. Performs all steps of manual cleaning and high level disinfection of endoscopes and other devices requiring high level disinfection.
- BJC has determined this is a safety-sensitive position. The ability to work in a constant state of alertness and in a safe manner is an essential function of this job.
- High School Diploma or GED
- <2 years
- No Experience
Licenses & Certifications
- Cert/Lic in Area of Expertise
- 2-5 years
Benefits and Legal Statement
BJC Total Rewards
At BJC we’re committed to providing you and your family with benefits and resources to help you manage your physical, emotional, social and financial well-being.
- Comprehensive medical, dental, vison, life insurance, and legal services available first day of the month after hire date
- Disability insurance* paid for by BJC
- Pension Plan*/403(b) Plan funded by BJC
- 401(k) plan with BJC match
- Tuition Assistance available on first day
- BJC Institute for Learning and Development
- Health Care and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time Off benefit combines vacation, sick days, holidays and personal time
- Adoption assistance
To learn more, go to www.bjctotalrewards.com/Benefits
*Not all benefits apply to all jobs
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this position. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Equal Opportunity Employer